Zaitsev has somehow regressed in the NHL

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
I watched him at the WHC, he's still good offensively, despite Toronto didn't use his offensive talent a lot (to say the least), but he became worse defensively. He was very defensively responsible back to the KHL times, and now he does a lot of mistakes in his own zone.

BM14

Dec 7, 2012
GTA
Not saying this is the case but many times a guy who plays great his first year gets scouted much harder in his second year and teams/coaches have a better idea of his weaknesses
That's absolutely a factor but he plays with zero confidence. Shell-shocked, if you will.
He needs to get over the mental hurdles or he will not succeed in the NHL.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
He hasn't looked the same since his injuries. Lost a lot of weight mid-season after dealing with what appeared to be a serious illness as well.

Hopefully he gets back into form next season.

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
Zaitsev will be just fine. He got injured and had a hard time finding his groove coming back. He's still a decent top 4 option and the World Championships were a nice sign of him getting back to his game.

Reactions: SHANNYPLAN

Acetylene

Every dog has it’s day
Jul 10, 2010
Sweden
He had a really poor season with injuries as the main factor. The team had a good season, which spared him from a lot of negative press. Hopefully he’ll bounce back, we need him back in shape.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
He wasn't that great his first year either. I was a big supporter of him when we first signed him, but I think he's shown a few flaws that you didn't see when he was in the KHL. First, he struggles under pressure. He's a great decision maker with great passing when he's got time, but when he gets put under pressure he starts to panic easily. A lot of pucks just boards out, or just going nowhere. But most importantly, he's been weak mentally. And I don't say that easily, but there have been several sources talking about this, including both he himself and Babcock. When he makes mistakes or have bad games, he absolutely tears himself down.

The guy has no confidence right now. He doesn't believe in his abilities at all. I still believe he can turn it around, but he needs some cognitive behavioral therapy and preferably easier minutes until he builds himself up again.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
He wasn't that great his first year either. I was a big supporter of him when we first signed him, but I think he's shown a few flaws that you didn't see when he was in the KHL. First, he struggles under pressure. He's a great decision maker with great passing when he's got time, but when he gets put under pressure he starts to panic easily. A lot of pucks just boards out, or just going nowhere. But most importantly, he's been weak mentally. And I don't say that easily, but there have been several sources talking about this, including both he himself and Babcock. When he makes mistakes or have bad games, he absolutely tears himself down.

The guy has no confidence right now. He doesn't believe in his abilities at all. I still believe he can turn it around, but he needs some cognitive behavioral therapy and preferably easier minutes until he builds himself up again.

He played vs best of the best at WCH being technically a KHLer. Was the best Russian defenseman at the tournament, and didn't have any problems being under pressure.

Last edited:

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
I watched him at the WHC, he's still good offensively, despite Toronto didn't use his offensive talent a lot (to say the least), but he became worse defensively.

The problem is the right side defenders in Toronto need to be put in more defensive roles, because the left side are all offensive guys in Rielly/Gardiner/Dermott.

I agree that Zaitsev is really an offensive guy that's being miscast in a more shutdown defensive role, but that's really what the team needs from him. I think Zaitsev is pretty good on the PP, but the Leafs don't need him there with Rielly/Gardiner.

I do think there is a chance he's moved because he's really not a great fit for what Toronto needs right now.

hockeyguy1967

Trans hockey fan! Go Leafs and Oilers!
Aug 24, 2017
I watched him at the WHC, he's still good offensively, despite Toronto didn't use his offensive talent a lot (to say the least), but he became worse defensively. He was very defensively responsible back to the KHL times, and now he does a lot of mistakes in his own zone.
He was not a NHL Dman last year he was horrid. That contract though.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
dud is overrated

babcock gave him the most toi and pp #1 and relegated rielly to pk

lol

not as overrated as carlo tho

NoMessi

Jan 2, 2009
Leafs fans are so irritating. I mean, in the early season, like 20-30 games in there were A LOT of talks on these boards about Zaitsev being in the Norris contention and him being a top 5 D in the NHL.

Now people absolutely trash him. "dude is overrated", "... not a NHL Dman", "not a great fit", "poor season".

Its the same people that started the season with "Anderson should be traded", "Andersen is not an NHL goalie" and then worshiped him until they got eliminated in the playoffs. Then it was Andersens fault once again of course.

Mats13

Apr 22, 2015
Leafs fans are so irritating. I mean, in the early season, like 20-30 games in there were A LOT of talks on these boards about Zaitsev being in the Norris contention and him being a top 5 D in the NHL.

Now people absolutely trash him. "dude is overrated", "... not a NHL Dman", "not a great fit", "poor season".

Its the same people that started the season with "Anderson should be traded", "Andersen is not an NHL goalie" and then worshiped him until they got eliminated in the playoffs. Then it was Andersens fault once again of course.

I call bullshit on the Norris contention talk. Prove it. One or two fans does not count. You said a lot, so let's see all this Leaf talk about Zaitsev being in Norris contention (I already know it doesn't exist and you probably won't reply)

As for the rest of the post, do you want to know what's irritating? Morons who can't tell that Leafs fans are not just one giant organism. There's a lot of us with different opinions. Some don't like Freddie and they're very vocal about it when he's cold. Most of us are happy to finally have a top 10 goalie.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
The problem is the right side defenders in Toronto need to be put in more defensive roles, because the left side are all offensive guys in Rielly/Gardiner/Dermott.

I agree that Zaitsev is really an offensive guy that's being miscast in a more shutdown defensive role, but that's really what the team needs from him. I think Zaitsev is pretty good on the PP, but the Leafs don't need him there with Rielly/Gardiner.

I do think there is a chance he's moved because he's really not a great fit for what Toronto needs right now.

I think it's more likely Gardiner gets moved than Zaitsev.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
dud is overrated

babcock gave him the most toi and pp #1 and relegated rielly to pk

lol

not as overrated as carlo tho
Overrated?

Dude gets shredded on HFleafs, and barely hear him talked about on the main boards.

Don't agree at all.

Also Rielly played 1st PP, and Z didn't get PP much at all -- not sure what you're going on about.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Overrated?

Dude gets shredded on HFleafs, and barely hear him talked about on the main boards.

Don't agree at all.

Hello, this thread? Why should ANYBODY talk about him on the main boards? He was overly talked about on the main boards in his rookie season and it was quite annoying.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
Hello, this thread? Why should ANYBODY talk about him on the main boards? He was overly talked about on the main boards in his rookie season and it was quite annoying.
Hello do you know what barely means?

I'm not complaining, I really don't care -- I just don't see how he's overrated.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad