Zadorov sitting for violating team rules.

SiDC1

Dec 3, 2011
Northern Va
Want to solve the prole, see if you can get him to move in with a teammate with children. My nine, seven and five year old NEVER sleep in past 7! Plus thy have no idea how to be quiet.

That'll solve the problem.

:handclap:

I rarely got to sleep in when my kids were under 10

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
One of the sabres beat reporters used the word in a tweet, and then later retracted it. Wasn't a suspension.

It was Paul Hamilton I thought. And more than 24 hours ago, he corrected himself and said it WAS NOT A SUSPENSION. Yet, posters are still talking and having opinions in terms of it being a suspension. It's freaking weird.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
Wow! A 13 page thread that runs the gamut of trade him, dump Nolan, Zad's lazy, immature, was gifted a position, etc.. Only to find out his alarm didn't go off?

:facepalm:

krt88

Jun 19, 2002
Fayetteville, NC
cybionscape.com
Wow! A 13 page thread that runs the gamut of trade him, dump Nolan, Zad's lazy, immature, was gifted a position, etc.. Only to find out his alarm didn't go off?

:facepalm:

If you are over 30, then think back to when you were 19 years old. I'm positive none of us were under the type of pressure this kid is (nor did we see the types of rewards).

Heck my college room mates could barely get out of bed to get there classes. I could barely stay awake during my afternoon ones. Not to mention all the other distractions that occur at that age. Can't imagine the swam of young, attractive girls trying to get his attention.

Zaradov is young and he's gonna screw up. As long as the screw ups are not serious, we should all try to understand. He has to mature but he's still so young. In the end patents will pay off and we should end up with a huge monster on the Sabres back end for the next decade.

mikemcburn

Oct 23, 2013
If you are over 30, then think back to when you were 19 years old. I'm positive none of us were under the type of pressure this kid is (nor did we see the types of rewards).

Heck my college room mates could barely get out of bed to get there classes. I could barely stay awake during my afternoon ones. Not to mention all the other distractions that occur at that age. Can't imagine the swam of young, attractive girls trying to get his attention.

Zaradov is young and he's gonna screw up. As long as the screw ups are not serious, we should all try to understand. He has to mature but he's still so young. In the end patents will pay off and we should end up with a huge monster on the Sabres back end for the next decade.

Your thinking is sound, so with the oddies of word choice I gotta presume you majored in engineering? :D

(sry, in my neck of the woods we pick on engineers as much as possible, especially on the golf course)

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
But before that, tell me how you acted back when you were 19. Most of those kids have made countless of sacrifices already to be where they are now.

I got to work on time because I was paid hourly and would have lost my job if I had an issue with being punctual.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
I never understand why people post in threads trying to shut down a conversation. Skip the thread if you aren't interested.

Like most reasonable posters here, you give Zads the benefit of the doubt, but something public like this - where the organization is making media statements and he is kept off the ice TWICE, there could be something more here, so people will discuss it.

For those who are saying that we all have been 19 once? Yes, this is true, however, none of us have been a 19 year old elite athlete that has come half-way around the world to play in a multi-billion dollar league. Different rules apply. Different standards apply. Once he signed that contract, he became both an investment and an asset.

krt88

Jun 19, 2002
Fayetteville, NC
cybionscape.com
Your thinking is sound, so with the oddies of word choice I gotta presume you majored in engineering? :D

(sry, in my neck of the woods we pick on engineers as much as possible, especially on the golf course)

I majored in its too darn early and they had just cancelled school.

snow and ice and south don't mix well.

I just hope that TM does trade NZ or RR any time soon. These two guys are major building blocks.

mikemcburn

Oct 23, 2013
I majored in its too darn early and they had just cancelled school.

snow and ice and south don't mix well.

I just hope that TM does trade NZ or RR any time soon. These two guys are major building blocks.

Lol! I'm gonna use that at a golf here later today, give one of the "professional engineers" a jab proposing he was in your cohort ;)

I'm with you on the kids. No matter how quickly pushed onto the roster, and the growing pains endured all around because of it, they're still both 2-3 years ahead in development than the average d prospect. That's the possibility of an extra 2-3 years of service before they're pushed off the roster at the other end of their careers.

Karate Johnson*

This 19yr old stood up and owned it. Time to move on

Nope.

People owning up to mistakes is great. Nothing is more annoying than someone who won't admit they are wrong.

But when we "move on" is in a couple years when Zadorov shows up on time and doesn't make stupid mistakes that effect the team.

Changing behavior is the goal, not simply awknowledging the bad behavior.

And 19 is plenty old enough to not oversleep. Lots of people do it. Zadorov knows he's a high pick so he simply doesnMt care as much as a bubble guy. I bet late round guys aren't late to meeting when they are struggling to stay in the league.

Great players approach the game with the same attitude as the guys struggling to stay in pro hockey. They have a sense of urgency.

Not saying Zadorov can't change, but everything to this point leads me to believe he'll never be as good as he could. When he starts taking it seriously he has a chance.

mikemcburn

Oct 23, 2013
Nope.

People owning up to mistakes is great. Nothing is more annoying than someone who won't admit they are wrong.

But when we "move on" is in a couple years when Zadorov shows up on time and doesn't make stupid mistakes that effect the team.

And 19 is plenty old enough to not oversleep. Lots of people do it. Zadorov knows he's a high pick so he simply doesnMt care as much as a bubble guy. I bet late round guys aren't late to meeting when they are struggling to stay in the league.

Great players approach the game with the same attitude as the guys struggling to stay in pro hockey. They have a sense of urgency.

Not saying Zadorov can't change, but everything to this point leads me to believe he'll never be as good as he could. When he starts taking it seriously he has a chance.

Do we have any data, news releases, media coverage, news paper articles, blog entires, copies of interviews, etc. that indicate how often the 19 year old guys playing their first pro year in the AHL sleep in? In so many ways this kid is ahead of the development curve, so I'm curious if he's truly *that* far behind the curve where it goes to the odd slip of "professionalism".

Yes, of course lots of 19 year olds manage to get up on time for their day. And a lot of 40-something year olds have a quirk and sleep in - even 40-something year olds with 20+ years of gainful employment, mortgages, children and a slew of other "adult responsibilities" they've proven good for along the way.

Everyone can screw up, no matter how old, how professional, how responsible or otherwise how awesome. But unlike average joe, the kid wasn't just shamed behind the closed doors of his work place where bosses and colleagues knew the scoop - he's already been humiliated in front of the world (or those parts of it that follow the NHL ;)). Meaning his crime was pretty normal, but his punishment quite severe already.

When is it enough?

mikemcburn

Oct 23, 2013
When it stops happening.

That would be the first day he isn't late for a meeting/game. So like, today! ;)

ps: Seriously, your open-ended judgement date essentially equates to the kid having to prove a negative.

That's like with the tax man arbitrarily saying you earned money, doesn't know from what source or where the money went, but you gotta prove you didn't earn it... The only way to prove the negative in that scenario is to contact every employer, above and below the table, to collect affidavits that they didn't pay you, then every banking institution, globally of course, to prove you didn't deposit funds on account, then you have to... Essentially, it's an impossible task.

In Zads case, he can only prove your negative by retiring without another oops. Could be 10-15 years before you'll stop punishing him?

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY
That would be the first day he isn't late for a meeting/game. So like, today! ;)

ps: Seriously, your open-ended judgement date essentially equates to the kid having to prove a negative.

That's like with the tax man arbitrarily saying you earned money, doesn't know from what source or where the money went, but you gotta prove you didn't earn it... The only way to prove the negative in that scenario is to contact every employer, above and below the table, to collect affidavits that they didn't pay you, then every banking institution, globally of course, to prove you didn't deposit funds on account, then you have to... Essentially, it's an impossible task.

In Zads case, he can only prove your negative by retiring without another oops. Could be 10-15 years before you'll stop punishing him?

On time today. He is forgiven in my book too.
Not happening again this year is a good start.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

I would never stop punishing if he is having consistent issues with being punctual.

Just look at Bill Belichick. A Patriot is late to practice, he gets sent home for the day. It doesn't matter if it's an undrafted FA rookie or Darrelle Revis.

He's been punished for this incident.

He'll get punished if he's late for something again in the future.

If he goes through next season without any unprofessional incidents like these, then I'll assume he's matured to the point that he can be counted on to be a good pro and a good teammate.

N.Y. Orangeman

Mar 15, 2002
myspace.com
Nope.

I meant from this thread, with the apologists in one corner and the soap box preachers in the other.:deadhorse

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
I would never stop punishing if he is having consistent issues with being punctual.

Just look at Bill Belichick. A Patriot is late to practice, he gets sent home for the day. It doesn't matter if it's an undrafted FA rookie or Darrelle Revis.

He's been punished for this incident.

He'll get punished if he's late for something again in the future.

If he goes through next season without any unprofessional incidents like these, then I'll assume he's matured to the point that he can be counted on to be a good pro and a good teammate.

That's not what he's saying at all. He's not suggesting that at some point Zadorov should no longer be punished for continuing with punishable offenses. When he says "when will you stop punishing [Zadorov]" he's referring to events that have already happened. He's saying if you aren't going to stop punishing him until he stops doing it, you could say he's stopped doing it already unless and until it happens again. Kind of a tenuous point at the extreme but at some point it becomes reasonable. In other words, what's the timeframe for looking past this? If he finishes the season without incident? Next season? Etc. I think you got that since you answered at the end of your post, but the rest makes it seem like you misunderstood him.

Moncton man

Jan 11, 2011
Moncton, NB
Another thing to think about that we won't know because we aren't with the team.... maybe Zadarov has had issues with being late that we don't know about. Was being late back from the All-Star break his first offense? Has he been late to practice or team meetings before? Are there other issues that he's been talked to about and hasn't made the effort to get it together? And these two public incidents are the ones we know about.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
That's not what he's saying at all. He's not suggesting that at some point Zadorov should no longer be punished for continuing with punishable offenses. When he says "when will you stop punishing [Zadorov]" he's referring to events that have already happened. He's saying if you aren't going to stop punishing him until he stops doing it, you could say he's stopped doing it already unless and until it happens again. Kind of a tenuous point at the extreme but at some point it becomes reasonable. In other words, what's the timeframe for looking past this? If he finishes the season without incident? Next season? Etc. I think you got that since you answered at the end of your post, but the rest makes it seem like you misunderstood him.

I don't see how viewing Zadorov as immature is punishing him, though.

So, there is a disconnect on what he was talking about with regards to when do you stop punishing him for things he's already done.

Some people would suggest that it's OK to be late for meetings if it's a minute or two.

There are others that feel like if you aren't 5 minutes early, you are late. And if you are late, that's a big issue.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
I don't see how viewing Zadorov as immature is punishing him, though.

So, there is a disconnect on what he was talking about with regards to when do you stop punishing him for things he's already done.

I'm not agreeing with his position. I think it's fair to view Zadorov as immature.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad