Zadorov potential headshot on Barabonov? Suspension incoming?

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011

It’s a tough angle, but it looks head contact was made as Barbonov’s head snaps back quite violently. Whether that was incidental to hitting though the body or whether the body was even hit may need another angle. What do yall see here? Suspension worthy?

DOPS dice roll time, here we go.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
It was a bit east-west blindside for my taste, probably just on the safe side of suspendable but penalizable.

Spurdo

Nov 2, 2021
Just size difference tbh. He looked like he was going for shoulder to shoulder but who knows.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
He makes contact with the arm and shoulder first. The hit is just strong, so eventually there is contact with head. Totally legal. Hit anything hard enough and your head will eventually hit it.

Also, definitely no going up high. Zadarov's legs are split just before contact.

If you're banning hits like this, you are making it a no contact game.

Reactions: dnov11

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
He makes contact with the arm and shoulder first. The hit is just strong, so eventually there is contact with head. Totally legal. Hit anything hard enough and your head will eventually hit it.

Also, definitely no going up high. Zadarov's legs are split just before contact.

This angle in the OP is like an optical illusion. Z's arm bends in a way where it looks like its an elbow to the head, but you can tell it's not an elbow by the pattern on his jersey.

Kinda feels like the height difference is to blame here, but at the same time it's an unnecessary hit. Z should have played the puck

Reactions: 1989

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008

You could make that same argument for almost every Raffi Torres hit, too…

Reactions: Orca Smash

Three On Zero

Deranged Oreo Dolphin Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Looks like primary contact was the head to me, sits for a game or two

byrath

Jan 28, 2008
St. Louis, MO
To me, he elevates into the hit while sticking his arm out somewhat, resulting in primary contact being to the head. 3-5 games depending on his history, which I don't know. I seem to be in the minority on this one but it looks like a pretty heavy and intentional headshot to me.

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
To me, he elevates into the hit while sticking his arm out somewhat, resulting in primary contact being to the head. 3-5 games depending on his history, which I don't know. I seem to be in the minority on this one but it looks like a pretty heavy and intentional headshot to me.

Zadorov has gotten away with some ugly moves, but I don't think he can get away from this one.

Reactions: byrath

Kegsey

Defense be scared, Hertl coming.
Oct 20, 2011
Canada
Difference is size does not matter and has not mattered for a very long time. People seem to forget that the rule is the onus is on the hitter to not hit someone in the head. It doesn’t matter if he’s taller, it doesn’t matter if he didn’t mean to, it only matters if the primary point of contact is the head, that’s it. It’s been this way for a long time.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I could see them looking at it just because of how high the hit was.

Sure, Zadorov is way taller, but he clearly brings his arm up before the contact.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Borderline. Did hit the head, and it looked like he lifted his arm up to do it. Man didn't have the puck.

OTOH, it was in open ice, the puck carrier had no reason not to be aware of his surroundings, and he had just moved the puck. I am not a big fan of "finishing a check", because it often ends up being interference, but in this case Zadorov gets a pass.

2 minutes.

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
To my knowledge, Parros has never suspended someone for a high hit on a Shark. Zadorov could have shot Barabonov in the face with a cross bow and he wouldn’t have been suspended.

Reactions: Boy Hedican

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I don't think it was bad enough to warrant a suspension. Maybe a minor for hitting to the head but even that's borderline. I've seen a lot worse against the Sharks get ignored so I wouldn't expect anything here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad