Zadorov, Man-Child?

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Question for our OHL watchers. While it seems a consensus that Zadorov has plenty of development to go. However, do his physical skills limit how much of that development can occur in London?

I only saw Zadorov once in person last year in Erie, but he looked so physically superior than every player on the ice. I worry that such physical superiority may allow him to get away with things he won't be able to in the NHL. Regardless of ELC issues, does he develop better in a protected role with the Sabres playing say 15 minutes a game against similarly talented men, or better off with tons of minutes but possibly developing bad habits with weaker boys.

Normally I would not over worry about a player staying in Junior, but Zadorov's physique and athleticism makes me wonder.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
He did develop some bad habits last year but also improved in areas he needed too. If he's in the OHL next year I doubt he plays in London for the entire season. The Knights will likely re-tool their roster next year with all of the departing talent in hopes of building a contender in 15-16. It's probably best for Zadorov anyways as players have stagnated in London the last few years.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
I'd like to see him in Buffalo. I don't believe a year with the big club could hurt his development, everyone who's anyone already knows the expectations of the team and I feel he could learn some up here. But he could learn some in the OHL as well.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Unlike the Grigorenko situation, I don't think we're in a position to really harm Zads either way.

I don't think being in the NHL will hinder him at all.......nor do I think that being in the OHL will teach him any more bad habits.

I think he's at the point where he's likely going to develop further regardless of if he's in the OHL or the NHL. Since we probably have enough NHL caliber defensemen, if he doesn't absolutely show that he cannot be sent back down, I think he's back to London (or wherever London trades him to).

jvirk

Oct 31, 2013
Wow, the original post reallyyyy made me think twice about my thought process on where Zadorov should/will be next season! Great post, It's making me view this at a completely different angle.

I think if the bad habit case is true, then he should be in Buf as a 3rd pairing d-man. I think playing protected minutes would actually be the most beneficial for him then. Him going to juniors mayyyy have him develop more bad habits, but he may get a good transition year as a bottom pairing guy on this team if he were up in the big leagues.

But since his body is the way it is , I guess if he can prove he belongs as one of the top 6 defensemen then he should definitely be here.

Risto-Myers
Pysyk-Gorges
Zadorov-Meszaros
xWeber

Even for where Zadorov is today in his development at just 19, I still have to believe he is day and night better than Mike Weber. Although I want Weber in b/c he's a tank commander :)

I think we see Risto in Buf, although if he is in the AHL for about half of the season until the trade deadline (where I'm betting we end up moving Meszaros) or someone gets injured, I wouldn't mind him developing even more. This is the guy that's got the potential to be our #1 D-man (not saying he IS, but has the potential to). So maybe for him to develop there for 50 or so more games plus playoffs would be awesome for him. Or maybe he sticks w/ the big club lol

Last edited by a moderator:

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
He is going to play himself into the picture. He is ready. He will have your typical hiccups and growing pains, but he's not fragile mentally and really, really wants to be with the Bephlos.

I have him a tad higher than Risto on my list.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
He is going to play himself into the picture. He is ready. He will have your typical hiccups and growing pains, but he's not fragile mentally and really, really wants to be with the Bephlos.

Some OHL and London fans have said he's fairly immature actually. From what I gather he did not handle returning to London last year very gracefully and may have even brought out the KHL card.

Crazy Tasty

Oct 5, 2005
Joisey
Some OHL and London fans have said he's fairly immature actually. From what I gather he did not handle returning to London last year very gracefully and may have even brought out the KHL card.

That's pretty much the opposite of everything that I read.

Was that puck bunny talk?

ZeroPT*

I've literally never heard/seen this.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh

I think his potential is a little higher than Risto as well. I hope he does make the team assuming he will still get put into some offensive positions, pp, zone starts, etc.

jfb392

Jul 7, 2010
I've literally never heard/seen this.
I've never heard about the KHL part, but it wouldn't be surprising since he likely has two agents (one for North America and one for Russia, his NA one is a lawyer based out of Ottawa) and they usually want different things for their client.

He's in a tough situation though, as even if you wanted him to develop in the NHL, we have no idea who the defensive coach will be.
Frankly, I still have no idea what type of player he wants to be, so throwing him into the NHL, even with a competent defensive coach, is probably a bad idea.
Meanwhile in London, they've made former Sabres draft pick Dylan Hunter the defensive coach, who was a career forward.
While he will likely be flipped somewhere else, things can change between now and the time that camps open and the trading freeze is lifted.

I think his situation is similar to that of Myers in the sense that his physical gifts make it seem like it may be best for him to play in the NHL rather than junior, but the mental part of his game needs a lot of work.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
I want Zadorov to make it impossible for Murray to send him down.

I'm sure I asked this before..and I'm sure someone answered this before...but I forgot.

Does Zadorov get another 9 game tryout before ELC kicks in ...or only 2 since he played 7 games last year?

Last edited:

jfb392

Jul 7, 2010
I want Zadorov to make it impossible for Murray to send him down.

I'm sure I asked this before..and I'm sure someone answered this before...but I forgot.

Does Zadorov get another 9 game tryout before ELC kicks in ...or only 2 since he played 7 games last year?
He'd get another nine games.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
I've never heard about the KHL part, but it wouldn't be surprising since he likely has two agents (one for North America and one for Russia, his NA one is a lawyer based out of Ottawa) and they usually want different things for their client.

He's in a tough situation though, as even if you wanted him to develop in the NHL, we have no idea who the defensive coach will be.
Frankly, I still have no idea what type of player he wants to be, so throwing him into the NHL, even with a competent defensive coach, is probably a bad idea.
Meanwhile in London, they've made former Sabres draft pick Dylan Hunter the defensive coach, who was a career forward.
While he will likely be flipped somewhere else, things can change between now and the time that camps open and the trading freeze is lifted.

I think his situation is similar to that of Myers in the sense that his physical gifts make it seem like it may be best for him to play in the NHL rather than junior, but the mental part of his game needs a lot of work.

Unlike with Myers, however, I think we've got the depth ahead of him to let him go through his rough patches in the NHL without the pressure of being The Guy/a #1 defenseman. And Myers still seems to be turning into a fine defenseman despite having gone through all of that.

Sort of playing devil's advocate here since I hadn't really considered Zadorov making the team this year. I guess he could, though I think it's more likely our new management team wants to see him round out his game better at a lower level. Even if he can get by in the OHL just by being physically imposing doesn't mean he can't be taught and encouraged to find other ways of being effective there.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Even if he can get by in the OHL just by being physically imposing doesn't mean he can't be taught and encouraged to find other ways of being effective there.

Ya I know what you mean, and again I have only watched him play one full game live in person, so I defer to anyone who watches him on a regular basis, but in that one game it wasn't him being imposing. His speed and athleticism allowed him to take chances offensively, as well as go for hits in the neutral zone that could be argued to lack the timing or gap control that is required to not look foolish in the NHL. Speed and reach allowed him to cheat a lot. Again, not to say he couldn't fix these issues next year and work on the mental side of the game. Totally could, I just wonder if it would be better if he worked those issues out with the Sabres playing against guys that will take advantage of him if he doesn't learn. Not to say I want him to get embarrassed, but in my experience it is easier to teach a young superior athlete if they can only succeed by doing things properly, than by being able to succeed improperly based on physical attributes.

Honestly I have no idea what type of kid. Maybe he has incredible discipline and can force himself to play properly despite his physical superiority. If so all the better for the Sabres. Either way fun "issues" for the Sabres to figure out.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Murray did say he'll have a shot in camp to make the roster. I'm assuming Gorges, Myers, Pysyk , Meszaros and Weber are on the team. That leaves 2 spots for Zads, Risto and Rudy to battle over. Assuming of course Murray doesn't acquire another vet dman. I guess it will depend on how they are looking to shape the defense for the coming season. Will they want two teenagers on defense? (Zads/Risto) Or will they be battling each other for the last spot with Rudy taking the other? Or does Murray acquire one more vet dman to push two of the 3 (Risto, Zads, Rudy) back down for one more year?

Last edited:

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
I guess it will depend on how they are looking to shape the defense for the coming season.

As far as I'm concerned this is the last question mark as far as acquisitions go. We need more defenseman. Does he add another top 6, a 7th depth, legit top 6 AHL D, or depth AHL D/ECHL guys?

If they keep all the young guys up then Rochester D will be quite bad with very little mobility and puck possession.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
As far as I'm concerned this is the last question mark as far as acquisitions go. We need more defenseman. Does he add another top 6, a 7th depth, legit top 6 AHL D, or depth AHL D/ECHL guys?

If they keep all the young guys up then Rochester D will be quite bad with very little mobility and puck possession.

I don't think we need to add another body. I'm fine with the youth seeing time, competing with each other for playing time.

Myers, Gorges, Meszaros, Pysyk are in. Weber is here. Riouxweadle is in the mix. Risto, Zadorov and McCabe can duke it out. All will see time due to injuries happening.

Zadorov, again, will absolutely be in the mix off the bat (IMO)

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
I don't think we need to add another body. I'm fine with the youth seeing time, competing with each other for playing time.
I think we may be set at the NHL level. That is a lot of rookies at once though. And I wonder who will be the 7th D. I wouldn't want one of the young guys sitting in the press box.

If we are set like you say, we will need more bodies/depth in the AHL.

TimMcClure*

He looked absolutely disinterested in the Memorial Cup games, and I don't believe the layoff the Knights had had much to do with it. He crushed nobody, he didn't press things offensively, he looked bored.

I think another year in junior will do him more harm than good. Unfortunate he can't go to the AHL.

Next negotiation with the CHL the NHL has to get an exemption clause for at least one 19 year old a year where the NHL clubs can send an elite prospect to the AHL. Not like the CHL has much leverage.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
He looked absolutely disinterested in the Memorial Cup games, and I don't believe the layoff the Knights had had much to do with it. He crushed nobody, he didn't press things offensively, he looked bored.

I think another year in junior will do him more harm than good. Unfortunate he can't go to the AHL.

Next negotiation with the CHL the NHL has to get an exemption clause for at least one 19 year old a year where the NHL clubs can send an elite prospect to the AHL. Not like the CHL has much leverage.

I noticed that as well. He didn't press the body nearly as much as he did in the regular season. You think coaching? Maybe they wanted him to play a more conservative game in the playoffs?

ZeroPT*

I noticed that as well. He didn't press the body nearly as much as he did in the regular season. You think coaching? Maybe they wanted him to play a more conservative game in the playoffs?

he was playing big minutes (like, 35+)

Disinterested may be another word for tired.The huge break probably also played a part against him.

Having a month long break and going back into a huge stage playing 35+ minutes can be rough

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Murray did say he'll have a shot in camp to make the roster. I'm assuming Gorges, Myers, Pysyk , Meszaros and Weber are on the team. That leaves 2 spots for Zads, Risto and Rudy to battle over. Assuming of course Murray doesn't acquire another vet dman. I guess it will depend on how they are looking to shape the defense for the coming season. Will they want two teenagers on defense? (Zads/Risto) Or will they be battling each other for the last spot with Rudy taking the other? Or does Murray acquire one more vet dman to push two of the 3 (Risto, Zads, Rudy) back down for one more year?

I don't think Weber is guaranteed a spot at all. I believe there's a strong possibility he's the 7th defenseman next year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad