Zadina

Frobbo

Feb 21, 2008
I don't think Zadina drops much in a redraft but part of that is due to it being a bad draft year. Not a lot of players having impact at the next level, at least so far.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I don't think Zadina drops much in a redraft but part of that is due to it being a bad draft year. Not a lot of players having impact at the next level, at least so far.
Still too early to evaluate, though if Holland knew Cholo was gonna be a flop, he probably would have picked a D.

I'm guessing he thought he'd already loaded up on D and C, so taking a winger was a safe bet at that point. He just didn't realize how bad his scouts were.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

YpsiWings

Feb 5, 2016
Call me crazy, but I really like Zadina and think he has shown a lot of growth this year. Let’s start with skating, while it certainly isn’t “elite” my layman conclusion sees noticeable improvement in acceleration and speed. While his top speed is not great, his first few strides are better than the past and getting him there quicker. I’m not going to comment much on his shot, it is his best attribute. If the PP didn’t telegraph a pass to his circle everytime and could threaten something else he would be a major contributor.

My favorite thing I have seen from Zadina this year is his doggedness on the puck. This term gets thrown around a bunch, but he is a serious puck hound which I didn’t notice before this year. It’s kind of funny, but it seems like he works harder on the back check than the fore check. That could be part coaching, maybe part taking up the slack on less talented line mates. Would love to see him turned loose in the offensive zone.

I am excited to see what Zadina can do with a real playmaking center. I’m not going to go thru the game logs, but I feel like most of his time with Larkin was after his COVID bout. And while I love Larkin, he’s not really a playmaking center neither.

Zadina has a drive/work ethic to be great, could tell that from his comments at the draft. I think he is going to be a big part of the future.

heyfolks

Apr 30, 2007
Call me crazy, but I really like Zadina and think he has shown a lot of growth this year. Let’s start with skating, while it certainly isn’t “elite” my layman conclusion sees noticeable improvement in acceleration and speed. While his top speed is not great, his first few strides are better than the past and getting him there quicker. I’m not going to comment much on his shot, it is his best attribute. If the PP didn’t telegraph a pass to his circle everytime and could threaten something else he would be a major contributor.

My favorite thing I have seen from Zadina this year is his doggedness on the puck. This term gets thrown around a bunch, but he is a serious puck hound which I didn’t notice before this year. It’s kind of funny, but it seems like he works harder on the back check than the fore check. That could be part coaching, maybe part taking up the slack on less talented line mates. Would love to see him turned loose in the offensive zone.

I am excited to see what Zadina can do with a real playmaking center. I’m not going to go thru the game logs, but I feel like most of his time with Larkin was after his COVID bout. And while I love Larkin, he’s not really a playmaking center neither.

Zadina has a drive/work ethic to be great, could tell that from his comments at the draft. I think he is going to be a big part of the future.

I won't call you crazy, unless agreeing with you is crazy. IMO after year 1 this guy realized his shot would not carry him into the NHL. That 1 trick pony thing only works for the very few. Instead of trying to push on that, he rounded out his skating, stickhandling, delivery of the puck and even his backchaecking. Sure, still a work in progress, but he is making impressive strides. (I thought he was very good in the last game against the Hurricanes.)

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
He works hard in all three zones and, for me, I want to see that more than hustling for breakaway attempts or cheating to fly the zone and then not back-checking or forechecking. The work ethic will pay dividends for him in the long run. I think of a guy like Couturier(sp?) who had to earn his offensive zone time with Philly before they realized they had a 30-goal scorer.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I'm sure Fabbri would disagree especially after the last 2 games.

Fabbri knows where he needs to be to give Larkin a pass option, Zadina was hanging out in the circle most of his games with Larkin. ZAdina's recently gotten points by driving the net. That's what he needs to keep doing, regardless of who the center is.

nhlisawesome

Oct 26, 2019
3 goals in 27 games for this guy.

So annoying the Wings reddit parroting how 'good' he looks defensively and acting like he's figured out how to score already at the NHL level. Zadina hasn't impressed me once since we drafted him if I'm being honest.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Zadina has been disappointing, offensively, so far. But I'm not worried, don't think yet that he was a bad pick, and don't have big worries about him moving forward. I would love for him to have been the type to jump in the league and immediately be a top scorer on the team, but there's context with Zadina that matters....

- He hasn't had a good supporting cast so far. He doesn't have a lot of other talent to work with. In addition to being on a shit roster overall, his two most common linemates this season have been Namestnikov and Gagner. 4th most common... Brome. Mostly 2nd PP time. Not a lot of help there. Hopefully he gets more time with Larkin moving forward.

- He's just 21. Still very young. Still a lot of time for further offensive development, especially if the team continues to add talent around him.

- His game includes a pretty good foundation. He's got an underrated two-way game to build off of. Isn't super fast, but he's a good skater. He doesn't have big warts that are going to make it more difficult for him to focus on that offensive development moving forward.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Zadina has been disappointing, offensively, so far. But I'm not worried, don't think yet that he was a bad pick, and don't have big worries about him moving forward. I would love for him to have been the type to jump in the league and immediately be a top scorer on the team, but there's context with Zadina that matters....

- He hasn't had a good supporting cast so far. He doesn't have a lot of other talent to work with. In addition to being on a shit roster overall, his two most common linemates this season have been Namestnikov and Gagner. 4th most common... Brome. Mostly 2nd PP time. Not a lot of help there. Hopefully he gets more time with Larkin moving forward.

- He's just 21. Still very young. Still a lot of time for further offensive development, especially if the team continues to add talent around him.

- His game includes a pretty good foundation. He's got an underrated two-way game to build off of. Isn't super fast, but he's a good skater. He doesn't have big warts that are going to make it more difficult for him to focus on that offensive development moving forward.

His development is happening in the right order.

People are hoping for high production, but Zadina is on his way to think defence-first, and offense will come later. When Raymond comes and he is already the same kind of prototype, thanks to maturing at Frölunda, these guys will set a good standard for our kid core.

Can't say same about Mantha.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
His development is happening in the right order.

People are hoping for high production, but Zadina is on his way to think defence-first, and offense will come later. When Raymond comes and he is already the same kind of prototype, thanks to maturing at Frölunda, these guys will set a good standard for our kid core.

Can't say same about Mantha.
We just need to get center for both of them

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
3 goals in 27 games for this guy.

So annoying the Wings reddit parroting how 'good' he looks defensively and acting like he's figured out how to score already at the NHL level. Zadina hasn't impressed me once since we drafted him if I'm being honest.

I love how you run to this site as if you are tattling on Reddit. People just disagree with your opinion and propensity to flame any and everything that represents the Red Wings.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
So I liked what he did on Fabbri's goal aside from the nice stick handling and pass to Larkin, look at where he goes after the pass...

Right into the slot and created a situation where Jones had to cover both Fabbri and Zadina, and Larkin could have passed the puck to either winger. We need more of this from him, good simple plays, head for the crease.

Fabbri extends the lead | NHL.com

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
I looked at my preseason predictions for Zadina.
Points-wise, he's pretty much there (pace wise, anyway).
But goals? 3 goals in 28 games? That's 6 goals for a 56-game pace. Or 9 goals for 82 games.

If that's what you envisioned for Zadina in D+3... well
f***, I didn't even want Zadina and I had him as a 25-goal threat by D+3.

Preposterone

Dec 6, 2013
I looked at my preseason predictions for Zadina.
Points-wise, he's pretty much there (pace wise, anyway).
But goals? 3 goals in 28 games? That's 6 goals for a 56-game pace. Or 9 goals for 82 games.

If that's what you envisioned for Zadina in D+3... well
f***, I didn't even want Zadina and I had him as a 25-goal threat by D+3.
It's worth noting he's shooting less than 6% right now. That isnt going to continue. If he was converting at the rate he did last year, he would be just under a 25 goal pace

Reactions: lomekian and jaster

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
It's worth noting he's shooting less than 6% right now. That isnt going to continue. If he was converting at the rate he did last year, he would be just under a 25 goal pace

Yes, thank you. It's almost as if small sample sizes don't carry as much weight as large ones. A lesson not well learned by a certain poster around here.

I mean, shit, if Zadina plays 1000 games in his career, he's on pace for 107 career goals. If that's what you guys envisioned for Zadina's D+15 career, well, f***!

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Yes, thank you. It's almost as if small sample sizes don't carry as much weight as large ones. A lesson not well learned by a certain poster around here.

I mean, shit, if Zadina plays 1000 games in his career, he's on pace for 107 career goals. If that's what you guys envisioned for Zadina's D+15 career, well, f***!
Well, I expected more out of Darren Helm after his 3rd NHL season and here we are, lol.

(110 career NHL goals)

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com

Yeah, I'm not so sure last year was a better representation that this year. At all.
Zadina shoots a lot and doesn't score much because his shot isn't hard and isn't deceptive.
Regardless, a 9-goal pace for a guy who's consistently lined up as a shooter on the powerplay... there's no defending that.
All you can say is he's young and you hope he improves.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com

Small sample sizes don't matter?
GFTO.

It's the same size we have.
Stop being ridiculous.

We're talking specifically about what he's shown us this season.
A pop-gun shooter who would probably be best served in a set up role.

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
Small sample sizes don't matter?
GFTO.

It's the same size we have.
Stop being ridiculous.

Where did I say they don't matter? I didn't say that, you're missing the point. You try to present theese samples as if they matter more than they actually do. Does anyone think Zadina is a 9-goal per 82-game player? No? Then what's the point of framing it as a "9-goal pace?" 1 goal in 9 games is also a "9-goal pace," but who cares. Everyone can see 3 goals in 28 games is not good. It's a small sample though. There will be statistical regression.

We're talking specifically about what he's shown us this season.

If you were talking specifically about what he's shown us this season, you would literally stick to "3 goals in 28 games." Everyone here knows that's not great. Good lawd.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Where did I say they don't matter? I didn't say that, you're missing the point. You try to present theese samples as if they matter more than they actually do. Does anyone think Zadina is a 9-goal per 82-game player? No? Then what's the point of framing it as a "9-goal pace?" 1 goal in 9 games is also a "9-goal pace," but who cares. Everyone can see 3 goals in 28 games is not good. It's a small sample though. There will be statistical regression.

If you were talking specifically about what he's shown us this season, you would literally stick to "3 goals in 28 games." Everyone here knows that's not great. Good lawd.

I don't know.
If Zadina is a 9-goal per 80 game season guy with regular 1st and 2nd unit PP time, maybe he is a 9-goal per 60 guy.
Because a coach can't just keep sending him over the boards for the powerplay if that's what he produces.

I had this thought the other day... Is Zadina absolutely going to be better at 25 years old than Fabbri is right now?

The guy doesn't generate anything on his own.
He can fit within a system and make the right plays that infrequently result in points.

But I don't know what Zadina is right now. He doesn't have the skating and/or elusiveness to self-create.

I certainly thought he was better than what he's shown this year. But I'm not watching him thinking, "Man Zadina is doing so many great things, but he's had no luck."

He's still right at the bottom in CF%, just ahead of Flip and Ras.

Eye test - Not impressive (offensively) I am impressed by his hustle around the ice and sometimes shows solid creative IQ. But he's not all that poised and skates himself into bad situations and falls asleep on the backcheck.
Regular stats - Not impressive
Advanced stats - Even worse.

At 21, it sure seems like Zadina ought to be starting to show something, It's not like the Wings aren't giving him every opportunity.
I sure would like to see it by the mid-point next year, or the bust clock will start ticking.

I'd have ZERO misgivings replacing Zadina on the PP and putting Svech in that role - and then bumping Zadina to more of a QB role.

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
I don't know.
If Zadina is a 9-goal per 80 game season guy with regular 1st and 2nd unit PP time, maybe he is a 9-goal per 60 guy.
Because a coach can't just keep sending him over the boards for the powerplay if that's what he produces.

I had this thought the other day... Is Zadina absolutely going to be better at 25 years old than Fabbri is right now?

The guy doesn't generate anything on his own.
He can fit within a system and make the right plays that infrequently result in points.

But I don't know what Zadina is right now. He doesn't have the skating and/or elusiveness to self-create.

I certainly thought he was better than what he's shown this year. But I'm not watching him thinking, "Man Zadina is doing so many great things, but he's had no luck."

He's still right at the bottom in CF%, just ahead of Flip and Ras.

Eye test - Not impressive (offensively) I am impressed by his hustle around the ice and sometimes shows solid creative IQ. But he's not all that poised and skates himself into bad situations and falls asleep on the backcheck.
Regular stats - Not impressive
Advanced stats - Even worse.

At 21, it sure seems like Zadina ought to be starting to show something, It's not like the Wings aren't giving him every opportunity.
I sure would like to see it by the mid-point next year, or the bust clock will start ticking.

I'd have ZERO misgivings replacing Zadina on the PP and putting Svech in that role - and then bumping Zadina to more of a QB role.

Zadina @ 25 vs. Fabbri..... that's actually an interesting comp. My bias on that lies with Fabbri, I'm probably a bigger fan of his than most people. Listen, I won't be shocked if Zadina doesn't reach the ceiling we're all basically hoping for, but I do still expect him to exceed Fabbri, at least in terms of production. Both are pretty close to 0.5 ppg players for their careers so far, but Zadina is only 21 and has spent a larger % of his career on real bad teams. Yes, Fabbri has produced better on those same junk teams, but he's 4 years older. I would bet Zadina is suffering from a lack of confidence right now, to some degree. I really hope he continues playing with Larkin, plays on PP1, and is given the best chance to produce and boost that confidence.

Consider a Mantha comparison for a second. At the same age, Mantha put up 3 points in 10 games, during his first taste of the NHL. The following season, he put up 36 points in 60 games. I think that may be a pretty decent measuring stick for Zadina going into next season. Mantha accomplished that on a far better squad than Zadina will play on next season (Zetterberg, Nyquist, Tatar, Vanek's good season, hell Nielsen put up 41 in 79), but, also, based on draft position and original scouting reports, Zadina should be better than Mantha. That's probably about where I'll put my expectations for Zadina next season. If he plays 82 games, he should be around 48-50 points. If he is, I'll consider him "on track." I guess we're in agreement on that part, he should be showing significant offensive progress by some reasonable point next season.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Yeah, I'm not so sure last year was a better representation that this year. At all.
Zadina shoots a lot and doesn't score much because his shot isn't hard and isn't deceptive.
Regardless, a 9-goal pace for a guy who's consistently lined up as a shooter on the powerplay... there's no defending that.
All you can say is he's young and you hope he improves.

he has a 5.2% shooting percentage this year

there were literally 3 forwards in the entire league last year with 100+ shots that didn't have higher than that, 4 the year before

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad