Zadina vs. Hughes

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
More interested to see which Hughes will be better given their limitations in size and different positions than if Zadina was the right or wrong choice.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
I think most know where I had Hughes and how I feel about him as a player. I dropped an expletive when we made the pick.

Filip Zadina is a very talented hockey player. He is learning to round out his game and how to find and capitalize on space in NA pro hockey. He has gotten a lot better, development takes longer than most seem willing to admit. I don't get a lot out of these threads. Even I have made the what about Hughes but I just love his game, but seriously Zadina has the abilities to be a massive part of this organization. People need to and I hate quoting that ******* in GB, but RELAX!!!
I'm guessing that ****** is "incredibly gifted athlete and wonderful person"

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I'm guessing that ****** is "incredibly gifted athlete and wonderful person"

Must be why his ex teammates, coaches, estranged friends and own family members have such glowing things to say about him. Lived in Milwaukee for a decade and have rarely met anybody with a positive encounter. A great QB for sure and good at imagining himself correctly on tv, but yeah not hard to figure out he is an *******.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Must be why his ex teammates, coaches, estranged friends and own family members have such glowing things to say about him. Lived in Milwaukee for a decade and have rarely met anybody with a positive encounter. A great QB for sure and good at imagining himself correctly on tv, but yeah not hard to figure out he is an *******.
That article was a farce. Bitter ex teammates and Ryan Grant said he was taken outta context for clicks.

The Red Line

Oct 11, 2010
The Wings wouldn't have picked Hughes anyway. Bouchard or Dobson or even Boqvist would all have been way more likely for Holland and company considering the state of the D at the time. If we were to draft our future #1 D in that spot, it would not have been an undersized offense-first type of defenseman.

Reactions: DATSOMATIC13

Lil Bert

Oct 14, 2018
I wanted Hughes at 6 in relation to the other players that were projected there. So when Zadina was called I admittedly let out a few cuss words. I assumed that Zadina was going in top 5 so i didn't pay attention to him, but it was obvious to see Hughes' game breaking talent. Since draft day, Zadina hasn't done much to impress me. I still have hope but Hughes looks like a beauty.

Reactions: Realgud

JustJokinenAround

just a goofball
Feb 5, 2018
a local rink
you can look at it as theres a reason zadina fell and we are seeing it now or you can look at it as he still isn't even 19. obviously hughes looks a lot better and certainly his projection is higher than zadina at this point, but way too early and really unfair to write zadina off yet.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I have heard Hughes, lots out there though which I don't think is a mistake. Bobby Mac and Pierre were also running the Hughes angle on air at the time of the pick.

I remember those guys pushing the Hughes angle more because he played at Michigan and things like that, they never came right out and said who they woulda picked instead of Zadina. Khan came right out and said it a week (or less even) after the draft that they wouldve taken Bouchard. I'll trust Khans word over the national guys any day

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
He could be Mother Teresa the rest of his life and I’d still dislike Rodgers.
tbh I was being kinda facetious in that post, I now see that it looked like I was being the biggest fanboy ever, I think he's demanding and arrogant for sure, but I don't mind that in a QB. I don't think he's a terrible person or anything though. I've heard accounts where he was really cool in public and accounts where he was kind of a douche.

Sadekuuro

Aug 23, 2005
Cascadia
100% I would have taken a defenseman over any winger, though whether Hughes or one of the other D was the best choice is not at all clear.

Reactions: decaguard

Goalie guy

Jul 8, 2011
Taylor MI
Bouchard is still awesome in my book. D-men take a little bit of development time, but his tools are insane. I think he'll have a big year in Bakersfield and then off to Edmonton where he'll take Klefbom's job.

So, yeah... I'd still take him over Zadina.
Can I ask why? What has he shown that he was worth the pick? Hes been just ok at every level hes been at after the draft, just ok in GR just ok at the last WJ, just ok in camp. I hope hes just stuck in his own head.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Can I ask why? What has he shown that he was worth the pick? Hes been just ok at every level hes been at after the draft, just ok in GR just ok at the last WJ, just ok in camp. I hope hes just stuck in his own head.
If he went to Juniors and was more than okay would you feel all warm and fuzzy? He dominated the WJC a year prior, did he lose all his talent?

Maybe take the slide from under the microscope and let the kid develop into a professional hockey player. In 16-17 Mantha had 33 points in 62 games as a 20 year old in his first AHL season, in 18-19 Zadina had 35 points in 59 games as a 19 year old in his first pro hockey season.

Edit: I had Mantha's wrong statline, now accurate.

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
If he went to Juniors and was more than okay would you feel all warm and fuzzy? He dominated the WJC a year prior, did he lose all his talent?

Maybe take the slide from under the microscope and let the kid develop into a professional hockey player. In 16-17 Mantha had 36 points in 60 games as a 22 year old in his 3rd AHL season, in 18-19 Zadina had 35 points in 59 games as a 19 year old in his first pro hockey season.
I think he's talking about Bouchard, not Zadina?

Or... I'm not sure I know what's going on.

turkleton85

Dec 12, 2017
i wanted dobson on draft night. i thought that zadina as a winger was kind of redundant on this roster and what it needed....well, it wasn't a wrong pick at that time. But in Dobson everyone, experts and board members, saw pretty good potential and a real defensive anchor, and he probably would be on the wings roster right now, along cholowski and hronek.

when i see zadina, he looks like a talented player. But i dont think he'll be as good as everyone thought on draft night. I can even see him being traded in the next 2 years

EDIT: we kind of have a similar player to dobson in seider now, who seems to be an awesome pick right now. Lets hope zadina becomes a good top 6 player...having him, mantha, AA and larkin as potential 30 goal scorers would be pretty cool

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
I think he's talking about Bouchard, not Zadina?

Or... I'm not sure I know what's going on.
He said "okay in GR"

Honestly now that I looked again I have no idea either, I thought the post he was responding to said they'd take Zadina over him, but it says him over Zadina, idk.

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
with our d weakness theres no way i take a winger there when ive choice of my second fave d in draft and theres no insurance zadinas going to be great . personally i didnt want hughes because too small to be a complete dman , i dont draft that type incomplete player at 6 .

13to40

Feb 29, 2016
Montreal
This topic should be revisited in 5 years when both players are in their prime. I was ecstatic when Zadina fell to us in the draft. I think he will eventually be true to his word and “ fill their nets with pucks”

Reactions: Electric Eric
Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Zadina has only scored goals in 2 of his last 33 games played lol. I dunno, he is just an inefective hockey player right now. He's lost any confidence, and I think he was far too over confident to begin with, with his "fill their nets with pucks" comment.

He scored 2 in a playoff game, and then scored a goal on March 24th, other than that, zeros. Since February 20th, he has only scored in 2 games...that's so unbelievably awful.

Zeros in the preseason, zeros at traverse city, zeros in the regular season (albeit only 2 games). His new nickname should be Mr. Zero, as in the amount of goals he scores.

The sad thing is sometimes players go on cold streaks but still look good, but he looks lost. I don't wanna say the b-word yet because he is still young, but this guy still looks like he is lightyears away from being a goal scorer in the NHL.

Goalie guy

Jul 8, 2011
Taylor MI

Maybe take the slide from under the microscope and let the kid develop into a professional hockey player. In 16-17 Mantha had 36 points in 60 games as a 22 year old in his 3rd AHL season, in 18-19 Zadina had 35 points in 59 games as a 19 year old in his first pro hockey season.
What microscope? The kid has done nothing but be cocky and keep trading water. I'm sorry I expect more from a projected top 3 pick than what hes done. I have said from day one his go to move of walking off the half wall and ripping a slapshot was not going to work. Guess what is has not worked at all. I do see some improvement in him coming back, but hes still really slow about coming back out of the ozone. I know you can't say the truth here with out the butt hurt coming out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad