Recalled/Assigned: Zadina recalled: 12/6 update

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
In summary

- he's not going bust
- he's talented
- he still needs work
- he's not showing anything in the NHL level yet
- he's a fraction of second slow, his shot is good not great, he's not winning battles -strength
- he's starting to show some confidence in the AHL
- his development in the AHL looks promising, but still needs work (as most players his age do)
- his trade value isn't worth exploring
- I don't want to trade him
- his bottom is 3rd line scoring winger -- which would a bit disappointing to me
- I want him to be the best he can be and I disagree having him in the NHL at this time
- This team is pure dog **** - why expose him to that

And when attacked, I point out he really hasn't done anything note-able this season in the NHL to justify his stay.

Then people talk about how he's getting low end minutes... Henkka made a comprehensive post about Zadina's usage compared to his peers, who you'd say have "better coaching staff"... and Zadina is getting usage on par with his peers.

Then people talk about how Zadina's minutes isn't the issue, but who he's playing with. Of course he's playing with **** players, this team is ****. Why expose him to this ****?

If he's playing low minutes with crap players why have him up? He could be getting top minutes and playing with better lines in GR while he gets stronger, faster smarter and confident.

I think your argument is to give Yzerman the edge on contract negotiations and you're afraid he'll learn bad habits in the AHL. The last thing I am concerned about at this point is contract negotiations. First lets develop him into a real NHL player.

Literally the only thing I’ve said is that he belongs in the NHL. I haven’t made a complaint about Blashill’s usage of him, I haven’t made a complaint about the team around him, I haven’t made a complaint about his minutes. I provided a different perspective on why Yzerman may want him in the NHL.

My feelings with Zadina are simple. He’s capable of playing in the NHL now. I don’t expect him to be a finished product, and being in the NHL should help him become a better player in quicker fashion. He’s doing the things that he wasn’t in the past, and as a result, I think he’s passed the AHL up as far as his development goes. Your concerns seem to be more of a physical development nature; his reaction time, his skating, his strength...all of those things are things that can either develop the same, or better in the NHL. You are pushing for over ripening, I’m pushing for progressively challenging. I view your stance as aiming to make him the best AHL player possible, and my stance is aiming to make him the best NHL player possible.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Kind of wish Zadina was with the Griffins tonight because I'm at the game and they could use some offense.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Literally the only thing I’ve said is that he belongs in the NHL. I haven’t made a complaint about Blashill’s usage of him, I haven’t made a complaint about the team around him, I haven’t made a complaint about his minutes. I provided a different perspective on why Yzerman may want him in the NHL.

My feelings with Zadina are simple. He’s capable of playing in the NHL now. I don’t expect him to be a finished product, and being in the NHL should help him become a better player in quicker fashion. He’s doing the things that he wasn’t in the past, and as a result, I think he’s passed the AHL up as far as his development goes. Your concerns seem to be more of a physical development nature; his reaction time, his skating, his strength...all of those things are things that can either develop the same, or better in the NHL. You are pushing for over ripening, I’m pushing for progressively challenging. I view your stance as aiming to make him the best AHL player possible, and my stance is aiming to make him the best NHL player possible.

If you truly believe this, then you should be completely outraged Yzerman has Rasmussen and Svechnikov in the AHL over-ripening.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
RIght. Svech has been called up to the NHL and when he went down he's been hurt twice. Might have something to do with it.

Anyway - short-term trends are short-term trends.

My concern is bigger than an 11-game AHL stint.

My concern is Svech has done **** in the AHL since he was 19/20. He's 22/23 now. 2/3rds of a season away from waivers.

He's got size. Works the boards. He can be a net-front presence. And his development is getting nowhere in the AHL.

I guess the plan is just to let him languish down there. And then waive him next October?
Or are we imaginging there are going to be spots for Svech, Zadina, Hirose, Ras etc next season? As well as Erne/Perlini/Fabbri etc.

yeah I guess at this point it's becoming more and more likely that Yzerman just doesn't see much in Svechnikov in general and would rather roll the dice on guys like Erne/Perlini instead

he did miss a full year of hockey so it made sense to start in the AHL but we're coming up on the halfway point of the season soon

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
If you truly believe this, then you should be completely outraged Yzerman has Rasmussen and Svechnikov in the AHL over-ripening.

No and yes. Rasmussen was in over his head last year, and it was pretty obvious that he had to go down and figure out how to play professional hockey outside of being a big body in front of the net.

For Svechnikov, I was upset to see him get such a small amount of ice time when he was up earlier. You won’t find many pulling for Svechnikov as hard as I do, but at this point in time, there are limited seats at the table. Zadina had outperformed him for a few weeks before getting brought up, and as good as the flashes were when Svechnikov played in Detroit, I’ve still been more impressed with the growth of Zadina and would rather push his development curve harder.

Reactions: Lil Bert

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
yeah I guess at this point it's becoming more and more likely that Yzerman just doesn't see much in Svechnikov in general and would rather roll the dice on guys like Erne/Perlini instead

he did miss a full year of hockey so it made sense to start in the AHL but we're coming up on the halfway point of the season soon

If Yzerman still sees that much in Erne/Perlini, then he needs to take some advice from Datsyuk and go see Dr. Rahmani.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I don't think Svechnikov is anyhow forgotten. He had his chance and since that, others have been more hot for the callup. He will be called up again, when turns hot and others will struggle.

Reactions: golffuul

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
I don't think Svechnikov is anyhow forgotten. He had his chance and since that, others have been more hot for the callup. He will be called up again, when turns hot and others will struggle.
Svechnikov also is just 20-30 games into being healthy after over a year away with a bad injury. He will probably get the rest of this year and next to try and regain some form.

Reactions: SirloinUB

Christien

May 1, 2010
Kind of wish Zadina was with the Griffins tonight because I'm at the game and they could use some offense.
Sorry I’m off topic, but did you see if Seider got injured or what happened? I didn’t see him out there for pretty much the whole 3rd period

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com

Right. This was what I was wondering about when Yzerman kept Hirose up and picked up Erne, Perlini and Fabbri.
Or when Smith stayed up longer than Svech and got PP time.
I don't think Blash and Stevie have much hope for Svech.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
It doesnt make much sense to call him up and put his with scrubs on the 3rd line. God I cannot wait till we get a decent coach.
Stone Hands Helm and NielSheahan.

I wouldn't be so bad if it was an ordinary 3rd line, the Caps have Hagelin-Eller-Panik, and theirt 4th liners score about as much as Helm (stats are very comparable). Nielsen wouldn't make the roster on any other team. Basically Zadina is on a line with an 4th liner and someone who should just retire. He would literally be better off playing for the Caps 4th line than his current linemates.

I'm done with Blash, this season can't end soon enough. There is absolutely no reason to keep him for the club option year.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Sorry I’m off topic, but did you see if Seider got injured or what happened? I didn’t see him out there for pretty much the whole 3rd period
He fell awkwardly into the boards at some point in the 2nd, so it is possible they left him out of the 3rd as a precautionary measure.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Svechnikov also is just 20-30 games into being healthy after over a year away with a bad injury. He will probably get the rest of this year and next to try and regain some form.
This makes the most sense, I agree. It's not like we can't give him another QO for a 1 yr (or more) contract after this one.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
So he was sent down for one game as the wings were off till today. And now he was back.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad