Zadina-Larkin pairing

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Zadina's been playing a lot of minutes lately with Dylan Larkin.
It's not doing anything for either player.
At 5 on 5

With Larkin 90:55
Without Larkin 45:28

Now, Larkin has improved Zadina's CF/
CF% Larkin 46.38
CF% without 27.27
Larkin's CF% without Zadina 54.69

Zo Zadina is crushing Larkin's CF%. (Note, this doesn't account for the third winger - which has been Brome recently).

How about production
Zadina is 1-0-1 in 90:55 with Larkin.
Is there anyone he was productive with?
0-2-2 in 26:58 with Fabbri.
No more than 1 point with any other forward.

Larkin, on the other hand, has 0-1-1 in 91 minutes with Zadina.
But truthfully, his stats aren't great with anyone.
2 points in 92 minutes with Bertuzzi.
2 goals with 84 minutes with Mantha.
2 points in 55 minutes with Ryan.
No more than 2 points with anyone else.

Put Larkin-Mantha together.
Put Zadina back with Ryan and Fabbri and see if he can look a bit better.

If not, the AHL might be calling.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Zadina to the AHL does not need to happen.

Larkin is not a playmaker. Hell, he's not looking like much of a finisher now. "Helm with hands" is starting to seem like a stretch with his current cold streak. Larkin has been making poor decisions on the ice. He's been late on the backcheck a lot. When the puck is transitioning out of our zone he skates in a straight line to where he's between the left wing/center and the other team's 2 defensemen, thus eliminating him as an option to receive a pass and enter the zone with speed. He's been bad.

If anything is clear, it's that Zadina needs a playmaker. Before the covid protocol he looked good with Fabbri and Ryan.
You should also note that Bobby Ryan hasn't scored a goal when not playing with Zadina.

You shouldn't be blaming the 21 year old rookie. You should be blaming the 24 year old veteran, team captain, current franchise cornerstone and top scorer for a 7 game cold streak and for not elevating the play of his wingers.

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
To me, it feels like Zadina is an afterthought in terms of how the offense operates. Which is fine, except you have him on the top PP and Martha is on the 2nd unit. Both times he looked like he was being ignored, and he is “skill-wise” Detroit’s best goal-scorer. I can understand that he needs to show himself, in terms of opportunities and such, but everyone playing with him, seems to not even consider him an option. Larkin is the biggest offender to this, because Larkin plays like a winger but lines up at center.

Reactions: MBH

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Zadina to the AHL does not need to happen.

Larkin is not a playmaker. Hell, he's not looking like much of a finisher now. "Helm with hands" is starting to seem like a stretch with his current cold streak. Larkin has been making poor decisions on the ice. He's been late on the backcheck a lot. When the puck is transitioning out of our zone he skates in a straight line to where he's between the left wing/center and the other team's 2 defensemen, thus eliminating him as an option to receive a pass and enter the zone with speed. He's been bad.

If anything is clear, it's that Zadina needs a playmaker. Before the covid protocol he looked good with Fabbri and Ryan.
You should also note that Bobby Ryan hasn't scored a goal when not playing with Zadina.

You shouldn't be blaming the 21 year old rookie. You should be blaming the 24 year old veteran, team captain, current franchise cornerstone and top scorer for a 7 game cold streak and for not elevating the play of his wingers.

It's not about blame.
It's about finding a place where he works. I liked him with Ryan, because Ryan and Fabbri shoot the puck.
And I don't see much evidence that Zadina needs a playmaker. To be honest, his shot is overrated.
What I like is just his IQ and hands

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
If this was the playoffs and we had to win now, 100% I would break them up. The fact that we are in a season where we have zero shot of doing anything AND it actually benefits us to loose, I would prefer to keep them together a bit longer and see if they can build chemistry. These two are are going to be pillars on our team moving forward, it is very advantageous to our team if they can build that.

Not to mention, 90min is such a small sample size.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
It's not about blame.
It's about finding a place where he works. I liked him with Ryan, because Ryan and Fabbri shoot the puck.
And I don't see much evidence that Zadina needs a playmaker. To be honest, his shot is overrated.
What I like is just his IQ and hands

Zadina's shot is more than fine to score in the league.

Playmakers are able to find their teammates in the quiet spaces of the ice. Goal scorers are able to find those quiet spaces. These two go hand in hand. It's incredibly rare in NHL history that great goalscorers are able to do it all on their own.

Zadina is a natural goal scorer but we don't have any real playmakers on this team.

Can Zadina be a line driver? I think so. He's one of the better options that we have. Where I think his real strength lies is being the guy that finds the quiet spots on the ice while a skilled player rags the puck and dishes it off to him. Zadina knows where to be to score goals but we have a bunch of offensive dunces on this team aside from Zadina, Ryan and Bertuzzi.

I'm really hoping that he and Raymond develop some chemistry because I think they'd play well off of each other. And I think that Zadina and Veleno displayed good chemistry together at the 2019 prospect camp, even though Veleno was the one putting the puck in the net and Zadina couldn't buy a goal..

Reactions: golffuul

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
I like Zadina on the top line with Larks. Give him some hard minutes. Other than not scoring, he has looked pretty fiery out there.
And he’s super reliable in the d-zone and on the forecheck. Something a few other forwards we have could learn to do better.

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
While I agree on the north/south east/west style discrepancy, I think a bigger reason that line can’t do anything lately is Brome.

They actually looked very good when G. Smith is playing
Completely agree. Smith brings space and net front presence that Brome can’t. I really loved Smith with Larkin/Zadina. Was hoping to see more of that.

Reactions: lomekian

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
At 5 on 5

CF% Larkin 46.38
CF% without 27.27

Zo Zadina is crushing Larkin's CF%. (Note, this doesn't account for the third winger - which has been Brome recently).

How about production

Zadina has been one of our better players this year, and he needs to go to the AHL? Oh dear! Just cause he isn't scoring yet, doesn't mean he isn't doing other things well.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I think Zadina should go down to the 3rd line. Try to get some easier matchups and get something going. Build from there.

Mantha
Ryan
Zadina

is how I would line up on the right wing... just not sure about left wing and center.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
When Bert is healthy , put BLM line together
Zadina with Namestnikov and Rayan

Mlotek

Feb 28, 2017
South of US Border
At 5 on 5

CF% Larkin 46.38
CF% without 27.27

How about production

Is Larkin still playing hurt?

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
Zadina has not been one of our better players.
He's been part of a big group doing next to nothing.
I disagree...he's shown the most consistent effort on the forecheck and is really responsible. That he's not putting up offensive numbers is simply because we don't have the talent available to us to enable his game and I don't think Blashill is at all interested in making him the focal point of our PP or a primary option in our normal offensive scheme.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
I am more and more convinced you don’t actually watch hockey. Zadina has been playing better than most of the forwards.

That was true before he went on COVID protocol. He's been a nobody since he returned, stapled to Larkin's line.

He needs find a way to get more involved in the play, he hardly ever has the puck on that line. In the offensive zone he's always just sitting in the slot doing nothing watching Larks and Brome battle along the boards. Those guys never find him because (1) they're not very good playmakers and (2) Zadina is stationary and always covered. So hes never a passing option, doesn't get involved in any cycle. Larks and Bromes only option is passing it back to the point or cycling with each other.

Reactions: NotLeddy
Dec 26, 2019
Kamloops B.C
At 5 on 5

CF% Larkin 46.38
CF% without 27.27

How about production

Lol yeah right

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
That was true before he went on COVID protocol. He's been a nobody since he returned, stapled to Larkin's line.

He needs find a way to get more involved in the play, he hardly ever has the puck on that line. In the offensive zone he's always just sitting in the slot doing nothing watching Larks and Brome battle along the boards. Those guys never find him because (1) they're not very good playmakers and (2) Zadina is stationary and always covered. So hes never a passing option, doesn't get involved in any cycle. Larks and Bromes only option is passing it back to the point or cycling with each other.
What I am really watching is his back checking and moving north/south with the play. Those to me are more work ethic based. His position in the offensive zone may be his own making or it could be where Blash wants him.

Reactions: SirloinUB

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad