Zadina is getting ready

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
Haha.
Yes, I'm serious with this.
Zadina was fine.

Keep trying to build the narrative, but Zadina said he was fine. His skating was fine.

"I didn't feel OK, but right now I'm ... feel really good and excited to be playing tomorrow,"

The one thing Zadina did last year that most agree is positive is he worked to be a puckhound.

If you're OK to puckhound, you're OK to do anything else in hockey.
Oh, a professional male athlete responded to a health concern by saying "I'm fine"? Well case f***in closed.

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
Oh, a professional male athlete responded to a health concern by saying "I'm fine"? Well case f***in closed.

Considering we have repeated proof of these guys playing through what amounts to major brain injury, torn ligaments, broken bones etc and saying they are fine, I agree with the above.

As for Zadina we'll see. This is a big year for him. I think he needs at least a 25/25 year. Last year I appreciated the puck hound mentality and better defensive play. These is the year he needs to put the offensive and defensive together. Is Pius more of a playmaker? Zadina could really benefit from playing with one. He wasn't playing the offensive game he is known for so I'd like to see him back in more a triggerman role. He is a better playmaker than I thought he'd be but I 'd rather see him in that role in a secondary level.

Reactions: ricky0034 and Bench

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Is Pius more of a playmaker?

He didn't play a dishing role for the Hawks. He's a truly balanced attacker. He's definitely not afraid to shoot (112 shots last year, basically the same pace as Zadina).

Whereas some guys are always thinking ahead to the set-up, Suter takes what's in front of him. Assuming they are both aggressive grabbing rebounds, maybe these two punk hounds find a little chemistry attacking the net and taking turns setting one another up.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
As for Zadina we'll see. This is a big year for him. I think he needs at least a 25/25 year. Last year I appreciated the puck hound mentality and better defensive play. These is the year he needs to put the offensive and defensive together. Is Pius more of a playmaker? Zadina could really benefit from playing with one. He wasn't playing the offensive game he is known for so I'd like to see him back in more a triggerman role. He is a better playmaker than I thought he'd be but I 'd rather see him in that role in a secondary level.

What is this need?

What does reaching that need accomplish?

Electric Eric

#91 To the Rafters!
Feb 10, 2014
Portland -> Netherlands
Haha.
Yes, I'm serious with this.
Zadina was fine.

Keep trying to build the narrative, but Zadina said he was fine. His skating was fine.

"I didn't feel OK, but right now I'm ... feel really good and excited to be playing tomorrow,"

The one thing Zadina did last year that most agree is positive is he worked to be a puckhound.

If you're OK to puckhound, you're OK to do anything else in hockey.

Anecdotal but after I had covid I would feel fine and ready to take on the day then would be absolutely winded/exhausted by the time I walked to the shed to get the lawn mower. I'm far from a top tier athlete so I'm fine giving Z a pass this last year and seeing how he does this season.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Anecdotal but after I had covid I would feel fine and ready to take on the day then would be absolutely winded/exhausted by the time I walked to the shed to get the lawn mower. I'm far from a top tier athlete so I'm fine giving Z a pass this last year and seeing how he does this season.

Sorry to hear you had this experience but happy to hear you're doing well now.

For anyone wondering, this is because of inflammation and possible scarring of the small air sacs in the lungs. It wouldn't really be noticeable in typical day-to-day activities, but upon exertion, you'd notice a change in your stamina and recovery. Depending on the individual, this impact could be minor or dramatic. And thus for some recovery will come in weeks and others many months.

So I won't guess how much Zadina was impacted, but I know it wasn't 0%.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Sorry to hear you had this experience but happy to hear you're doing well now.

For anyone wondering, this is because of inflammation and possible scarring of the small air sacs in the lungs. It wouldn't really be noticeable in typical day-to-day activities, but upon exertion, you'd notice a change in your stamina and recovery. Depending on the individual, this impact could be minor or dramatic. And thus for some recovery will come in weeks and others many months.

So I won't guess how much Zadina was impacted, but I know it wasn't 0%.

Both McDavid and Matthews had COVID and went on to have career years, McDavid especially.

There's no reason to believe COVID has had any impact on a player as young as Zadina.

Reactions: MBH

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Both McDavid and Matthews had COVID and went on to have career years, McDavid especially.

There's no reason to believe COVID has had any impact on a player as young as Zadina.

dDDxUsW.jpg

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA

Kids his age have died from it. It impacts everyone differently.

Whether or not it impacted him is pure speculation. It certainly didn't help though.

Maybe it impacted his stamina, but I don't see how it would make him whiff on slappers though. He flat out had a bad season.

Reactions: TCNorthstars

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Kids his age have died from it. It impacts everyone differently.

Whether or not it impacted him is pure speculation. It certainly didn't help though.

Maybe it impacted his stamina, but I don't see how it would make him whiff on slappers though. He flat out had a bad season.

Less than 3,000 people between 18-29 have died of covid. These players are at little risk of the virus.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Less than 3,000 people between 18-29 have died of covid. These players are at little risk of the virus.
What doesn't kill you makes you stronger, right?

Well, except for Covid, where there are well-documented adverse effects that can linger for months, affecting things like stamina.

As a note; I haven't head anything about Zadina specifically having those kinds of lingering effects, but we know they happen (Marco Rossi as maybe the most famous example among young hockey players).

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
You said COVID for sure had at least some impact on his season. You're just makings up.

Well he had Covid and missed games as a result. I think that would qualify as "at least some impact".

And when he came back, he likely had something that was lingering, even if it was negligible enough that he wouldn't acknowledge it as a concern or an excuse when speaking to the media. He might not even notice it at all. I say this as someone who had Covid and felt almost normal and good enough to keep active outdoors, but can honestly say now that what I thought then wasn't the truth. I can feel now how much better than I felt then.

This isn't to give Zadina a hall pass for anything and everything. I think he was more adversely affected by the marching orders of coaching and management and the supporting cast that didn't do him any favors. Hronek was terrible on the powerplay in getting him useful passes. The team in general was way too rush-leaning, and Zadina often found himself as a trailer for Larkin/Fabbri, and they really are just driving and throwing pucks cross ice or on net. Rarely using the trailer.

Reactions: ealong59

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
More evidence than you've got that it hurt him, dude.
I'm not trying to prove that it hurt him. If you ask me explicitly "Was Zadina hurt by Covid?" the best thing I can say is "I dunno, maybe."

All I'm doing is refuting your stance that Zadina was definitely not hurt by Covid. What Matthews did is meaningless. "I'm fine" is meaningless. Zadina's performance may have been hurt by Covid. That's all I'm claiming.

Barry Amsterdam

Nättias Dänielstrom
Apr 2, 2013
Marco Rossi is a young guy. He had covid how come it almost killed him and matthews had a career year if it affect people the same?

I need the PHD medical experts of the forum to enlighten me

Reactions: ricky0034 and Bench

Ishad

Jun 2, 2010

Yeah Marco Rossi was fine too. What a dumb take.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Well, we know he didn't have Covid for the last 4 years and he was mediocre the whole time.

Reactions: MBH

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
I like how I brought up COVID among several other factors (one of which being that the entire team suffered offensively alongside Zadina) and the only thing people care to discuss is the one factor that we don't even have a definitive understanding of its impact.

Also the comparisons between Zadina and Matthews/McDavid are insane.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Well, we know he didn't have Covid for the last 4 years and he was mediocre the whole time.

Zadina has mostly been underwhelming for his draft pedigree but the point here is that in a season where everyone on the Wings struggled to score and one where he missed time due to a respiratory virus, people are taking a wait and see approach.

And I'd say that's pretty wise.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Are you sure about this? He has been mediocre ever since being drafted? Or are you just referring to his 86 NHL games separated out over three seasons, two of which were affected by the pandemic?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad