Movies: Zack Snyder’s Director’s Cut of Justice League drops March 18th 2021

barriers

Feb 10, 2020
Seems to be getting pretty good reviews from what I've seen on YouTube. Now I just need 4 hours of free time this weekend to watch it.

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
It will probably be better than the Whedon version but it’s still a Snyder movie soo..

So I'm not the only one that feels this. I'm looking forward to seeing how different this is, but yeah Snyder hasn't really put out anything great in a while. Looking at his directing credits, the last movie of his that I really enjoyed was 300 and that probably hasn't aged very well. Watchmen might be next. People are acting like he's the second coming of Christ or something.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
So I'm not the only one that feels this. I'm looking forward to seeing how different this is, but yeah Snyder hasn't really put out anything great in a while. Looking at his directing credits, the last movie of his that I really enjoyed was 300 and that probably hasn't aged very well. Watchmen might be next. People are acting like he's the second coming of Christ or something.

Yeah he's a bit like M. Night Shyamalan that way.

Reactions: Unlimited Chequing

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

well, as someone who has worked on a few films back when I lived in Vancouver--everyone gets paid one way or another. I worked on a movie where the lead actor(just coming off of winning several awards) said he was doing the flick as a favour. Well, we figured he ended up getting 5 mill and a house in west van out of the deal

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine

I think some of the hype is from the surrounding circumstances involved at the time of filming. He's dedicated the film to his late daughter ( who passed away during filming ).

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
People are acting like he's the second coming of Christ or something.

From the Joker image above, maybe he thinks that of himself. Seriously, from that, the four-hour length, the aspect ratio choice and releasing a black and white version that he claims will be the intended version, he seems to have an unusually high opinion of his creative talent. I'm starting to want this to fail because of it.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
From the Joker image above, maybe he thinks that of himself. Seriously, from that, the four-hour length, the aspect ratio choice and releasing a black and white version that he claims will be the intended version, he seems to have an unusually high opinion of his creative talent. I'm starting to want this to fail because of it.

Someone being proud of their work and offering the world different ways to see it is a weird reason to dislike someone.

Reactions: jasonleaffan
Sep 19, 2008

The last thing he made that was good was arguably watchmen. even that 300.

BvS was terrible. I don't want to hear any excuses on that. That was a piece of flaming SHIT. And this looks a LOT like this

The trend is to watch something and ramble and rant about it online for attention so I may just sub to HBO Max just to make a "Haters Guide to Justice League" :naughty:

Reactions: Unlimited Chequing

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
The last thing he made that was good was arguably watchmen. even that 300.

BvS was terrible. I don't want to hear any excuses on that. That was a piece of flaming SHIT. And this looks a LOT like this

The trend is to watch something and ramble and rant about it online for attention so I may just sub to HBO Max just to make a "Haters Guide to Justice League" :naughty:

I didn't like BvS when i saw it it the theatres but I've grown to like it the more I've watched it. The Ultimate Edition is awesome and helps smooth out a lot of the rough spots from the theatrical release. In fact, i find that all the DCU movies are fun watches after the first viewing, with the exception of Aquaman and WW84.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Someone being proud of their work and offering the world different ways to see it is a weird reason to dislike someone.

I didn't say that I dislike him. I just questioned his opinion of himself. I wonder the same about Christopher Nolan because he occasionally does things his way, without much regard for the moviegoer. Being proud of your work is good, but it can go too far if you're putting your whims ahead of the interests of those paying for it.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2008
I didn't like BvS when i saw it it the theatres but I've grown to like it the more I've watched it. The Ultimate Edition is awesome and helps smooth out a lot of the rough spots from the theatrical release. In fact, i find that all the DCU movies are fun watches after the first viewing, with the exception of Aquaman and WW84.
The original sucked I doubt adding 40 more minutes of exposition would improve it

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
I didn't say that I dislike him. I just questioned his opinion of himself. I wonder the same about Christopher Nolan because he occasionally does things his way, without much regard for the moviegoer. Being proud of your work is good, but it can go too far if you're putting your whims ahead of the interests of those paying for it.

Well, you're correlating an image of the Joker in a Jesus pose as a statement of Snyder's opinion of himself when it's really just symbolism for the rebirth of the film, direction of the character ( another rebirth ) and what the Joker at times has ( a messiah complex ). I see the image and i think more talking point and maybe Easter Egg for an event in the movie. As a comic book fan and store owner, the more movie content and exposure, the better. This is his baby and a never heard of before win for fans; If he wants to show the movie upside down to help stimulate the blood flow needed for some to understand the movie, then good for him.

yada

move 2 dallas 4 work
Nov 6, 2006
watching happy pony
Really excited to see this movie. I liked justice league even tho it had issues and suffered from rushing the justice league movie instead of a slow gradual build like marvel did with avengers.

That said all thw extra time in this new cut hopefully can make everything more coherent. I also hope that some of the 1 liner junk gets cut making the movie as a whole more serious and less goofy.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
'Zack Snyder's Justice League': Film Review
The new version is an improvement in some concrete ways. Its plot and tone are more coherent, with occasional puzzling exceptions. Its visual effects are substantially improved, though still sometimes fakey, and in general the photography looks better — though viewers may resent the frame's nearly square aspect ratio, which was designed with Imax, not widescreen TVs, in mind.

But the movie's soul, such as it is, remains unimproved, and at 242 minutes, very few of them offering much pleasure, it's nearly unendurable as a single-sitting experience. If it were watched in parts — title cards identify six chapters and an epilogue, and some rumors suggested it would be released as a series — those segments would fail to deliver the shapely balance of energies and pacing that one expects these days from even a merely competent TV show. This expanded version may be exactly the product desired by the legion of Snyder fans who cried to the heavens for its release. But nonmembers of that cult will find it just as unenjoyable as the original.
-----
Review: For ‘Zack Snyder’s Justice League,’ More Doesn’t Necessarily Mean Better
Zack Snyder’s Justice League certainly is more movie than the 2017 Joss Whedon-completed version of Justice League. More minutes, of course; this thing clocks in at over 4 hours. More cohesive, with greater backstory and characterization for heroes like Cyborg/Victor Stone (Ray Fisher) and Wonder Woman/Diana Prince (Gal Gadot). More gore and death, with heads chopped off and blood spurted and bodies impaled. But more isn’t necessarily better. For all the restorative qualities that the Snyder Cut provides, there’s too much here that’s fundamentally the same. Overly expository, overbaked, overwrought. Take a shot whenever someone says “Motherbox” or a line of Wonder Woman dialogue is just her saying someone’s name and you’ll have alcohol poisoning in no time.

Last edited:

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I don't expect it to be a modern masterpiece, but if it at least tells a consistent story and doesn't feel like a disconnected mess like the version we saw in theaters did I'll be good with it. I could give two shits what the critics think because I often disagree with them about these type of films anyway.

Reactions: jasonleaffan

jasonleaffan

Dec 7, 2008
Toronto
Definitely better than the theatrical release. Apparently there was only 4/5 minutes of extra filming required and at 4 hours I doubt Zack left much on the cutting room floor.

Lots of added characters and teasing for future films, but I won't say much so I don't spoil it for anyone.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad