Tribute Zack Smith Retires

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I saw Zack Smith at a grocery store in Ottawa once. I told him how cool it was to meet him in person, but I didn’t want to be a douche and bother him and ask him for photos or anything.
He said, “Oh, like you’re doing now?”
I was taken aback, and all I could say was “Huh?” but he kept cutting me off and going “huh? huh? huh?” and closing his hand shut in front of my face. I walked away and continued with my shopping, and I heard him chuckle as I walked off. When I came to pay for my stuff up front I saw him trying to walk out the doors with like fifteen Caramilks in his hands without paying.
The girl at the counter was very nice about it and professional, and was like “Sir, you need to pay for those first.” At first he kept pretending to be tired and not hear her, but eventually turned back around and brought them to the counter.
When she took one of the bars and started scanning it multiple times, he stopped her and told her to scan them each individually “to prevent any electrical infetterence,” and then turned around and winked at me. I don’t even think that’s a word. After she scanned each bar and put them in a bag and started to say the price, he kept interrupting her by yawning really loudly.

Am i missing a joke here? Pretty sure i read that story word for word a few years back except it was Karlsson

Reactions: Xspyrit

Samboni

Jan 26, 2014
I always thought that Zach was a poor man’s Mike Fisher. Best of luck to him in retirement,

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Am i missing a joke here? Pretty sure i read that story word for word a few years back except it was Karlsson
It’s one of those copy-paste stories floating around the Internet. Couldn’t even tell you where the original emanated, but this is a joke and definitely not about Zack Smith.

Makes me laugh every time, though.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Rangers fan here in peace (lol it's always funny having to write that). A little sad. Congrats to an excellent Sen who was a PITA to play against.

Him scoring 25 goals that one year was very rewarding. It felt like a tv show when you witness character growth from one of the supporting cast members.

There were so many jokes about his name being generic and a generic player but he made himself noticed.

As a Rangers fan, he was definitely one of those "Melnyk trying to slash payroll, Rangers need grit" guys who every TDL would have his name come up.

He's still super young so hope he resurfaces behind a bench or with player development in the next few years.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Smith was one of my favourites back in our almost being a playoff contender days.

We were pretty much that every season that Zack Smith played on the Sens, except the last 2 seasons where we drove into a full rebuild. He played from 2009-10 to 2018-19 (10 seasons). During the first 8 seasons, Sens made the playoffs 5 times. So they missed 3 times :

- in 2010-11 with 74 pts : 19 points less than 8th place
- in 2013-14 with 88 pts : 5 points less than 8th place
- in 2015-16 with 85 pts : 11 points less than 8th place

The only real season there we were not a "playoff contender" was 2010-11 and we went into a retool as a result

Reactions: DylanSensFan

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
We were pretty much that every season that Zack Smith played on the Sens, except the last 2 seasons where we drove into a full rebuild. He played from 2009-10 to 2018-19 (10 seasons). During the first 8 seasons, Sens made the playoffs 5 times. So they missed 3 times :

- in 2010-11 with 74 pts : 19 points less than 8th place
- in 2013-14 with 88 pts : 5 points less than 8th place
- in 2015-16 with 85 pts : 11 points less than 8th place

The only real season there we were not a "playoff contender" was 2010-11 and we went into a retool as a result

Being a playoff contender to me, means we are guaranteed to be in the conference finals almost every season.

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
That's cup contender.

And even then, it's even better than that. Actually, only the Lightning fits your "criteria" and the Isles of the last 2 years.

Las Vegas, Lightning, Islanders, and I might consider Toronto, even though they've performed abysmally in the playoffs.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Las Vegas, Lightning, Islanders, and I might consider Toronto, even though they've performed abysmally in the playoffs.
Well, using your definition of playoff contender meaning guaranteed to be in the conference finals....the average leafs fan certainly considers them playoff contenders

Reactions: DylanSensFan

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada

Yeah that's the thing, the semantics don't work here

"guaranteed to be in the conference finals almost every season."

Leafs haven't won a round in 18 years... lol

Vegas would fit too, 2 ECF and 1 SCF in 4 years

So only 3 "playoff contenders" in the league?

Playoff contender should mean : a team that is likely to make the playoffs or will at least fight until the end of the season.

Wings and Sens haven't been playoffs contenders in the last 4 years

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad