Zack Smith of Ottawa Senators fined for diving/embellishment

Serenade

Feb 5, 2008
What is with the Senator fans? 90% of them are bringing up the Habs unsolicited. How old are the posters on this forum? I wish there was age verification so we can group the older crowd to have access to a privileged board.

He got fined because he must of got warned earlier in the season.

1st offense: warning
Nth offense: public fines

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
What is with the Senator fans? 90% of them are bringing up the Habs unsolicited. How old are the posters on this forum? I wish there was age verification so we can group the older crowd to have access to a privileged board.

He got fined because he must of got warned earlier in the season.

1st offense: warning
Nth offense: public fines

I can understand how it would be annoying, but I doubt you're really so naive as to wonder why.

aemoreira1981

Jan 27, 2012
New York City
Vid for those interested.

[NHL]903294&catid=53[/NHL]

Certainly some blatant embellishment there, no complaints from this sens fan, though I'm surprised that's the first one handed out this year.

For what it's worth, I really am unsure what stamkos is trying to achieve by putting his stick there on the play. Odd decision with nothing to gain, and basically inviting Smith to dive.

Wow! That should have resulted in a power play---for the Lightning. 2 missed calls on Smith.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
I'd say the fine comes from the missed call on him 5 seconds before and then he immediately dives and gets a call. That's not the kind of thing the NHL wants to encourage

This. As a sens fan I realized that.

My reactions:

1) "we got away with one there"
2) oh nice, now were on the PP
3) weeeakkk call(and a dive on Smith but I'll take it)

So ya, I think you're right.

habs88

Ya I'm a habs fan
Mar 28, 2013
Montreal
I can understand how it would be annoying, but I doubt you're really so naive as to wonder why.

Well the way I see it Ottawa is tied for first in diving fines this year, so it's more like you guys are THE experts on the matter...

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
No problem with the call and review, Smith was milking for a call there.

Still waiting for the NHL to stop playing favorites and to start dishing this fine out to star players when they dive. Stop cherry picking fines and suspensions.

One of the first public fines for diving was on Norris trophy winner PK Subban. He was also the very first to be fined twice. Now granted he probably deserved about 10 fines by then, but you can't argue they cherry pick fines.

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
I have no problem with Smith being fined.

My question is - where are the rest? I see this probably twice a game...especially from certain teams/players whom I won't name.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
I have no problem with Smith being fined.

My question is - where are the rest? I see this probably twice a game...especially from certain teams/players whom I won't name.

Agreed on both parts, easier to do it to a no name player on a small market team though...just imagine it was to a star player on one of the big boys....it would be talked about for years within their media.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011

KingTux

On espère pour Lafrenière
Aug 9, 2013
hu2l
Surprise surprise, thread was started by Habs fan.

I guess you could call them experts on the topic at least.

Someone is salty to say the least

...Why are there so many bashing towards the Habs ? Am I missing something ?

Last edited:

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
Someone is salty to say the least

...Why are there so many bashing towards the Habs ? Am I missing something ?

I'm a Habs fan so apparently I'm biased by posting about a Sens player.

I guess Sens fans would prefer everyone just ignore it when their player gets fined for diving? :dunno:

fiveAMpractice

Oct 19, 2014
NHL game No. 422? Has there really already been 422 games this season?

I'm surprised Neal didn't get one to be honest.

Yes we would like you to be honest with us.
When the NHL go back, they look at the tapes and reviews of the calls. If Neal or anybody for that matter WERE actually tripped with the stick in between skates or the stick actually hit face then the embellishment call is just something for the reffs to deal with internally . No fine. The reffs don't have the final say the NHL do. Thats why they are bringing in video replay, they do make mistakes. To be honest with you.
In the Neal case he has lost teeth in recent embellishment calls but the media like the Tim Peel F_ _ _ you story better, so why let facts get in the way of a good story especially one involving Neal .

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
All you did was prove that their memory isn't that good and they didn't start the thread specifically because it was the Sens. Good work gumshoe.

Sure, if you want to see it like that.

It also shows a desire to pawn the "diver" label off on somebody else, since the habs are widely regarded as the undisputed diving champs of the league. At least historically speaking. A history that many want to ignore.

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
Sure, if you want to see it like that.

It also shows a desire to pawn the "diver" label off on somebody else, since the habs are widely regarded as the undisputed diving champs of the league. At least historically speaking. A history that many want to ignore.

You're right, you got me! In fact I even paid off the DoPS to fine a Senators player to deflect some heat off the Habs :laugh:

KingTux

On espère pour Lafrenière
Aug 9, 2013
hu2l
Yeah apparently you are missing something- but then again so was the OP.

He forgot about starting this thread, too: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1982391

Lots of "selective memory" going around, it would seem.

... You have way too much free time on your plate man.

All I did was asking a simple question, no need to get all passive aggressive about it

And yeah he started a thread about something that was obviously going to be talked. What's the problem about it ?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad