Prospect Info: Zack Ostapchuk

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
An absolute lock for bottom 6 minutes with the Sens next season, he's the exact type of player we need to refurbish our bottom half. Fast, strong, good IQ, great hustle/determination.

Him and Greig should be great together.

He has 22 points in 56 games for Belleville.

Let's not rush him to the NHL because our bottom 6 is trash. Still has more to learn at the AHL level.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011

Let's not rush him to the NHL because our bottom 6 is trash. Still has more to learn at the AHL level.

Agree 100%. Although I think we have the pieces to retool our bottom 6 pretty quickly.

Ostapchuk
Crookshank
Smejkal

IMO are 3 good depth players now or in the near future.

ottawagm

May 6, 2023
Pipe dream but let’s say we luck out into getting Sam Reinhart, how optimistic would people be with this forward group?

Joseph - Stutzle - Reinhart
Tkachuk - Pinto - Batherson
Ostapchuk - Greig - Giroux
Crookshank - Kastelic - MacEwen
Rather have someone like Lindholm to take RH faceoffs and play defensively:

Joseph Stutzle Giroux
Tkachuk Pinto Batherson
Celebrini Norris Lindholm
Greig Ostapchuk Kelly/Boucher

KnuckChuckinTkachuk

Give'yer balls a tug
Jan 23, 2011

Depends, if you want to develop his offensive touch/skills because you project him in your top/middle 6, then by all means keep him in the AHL for a bit longer.

But if he has the tools, doesn't look of place and he's a better option than some of our current bottom 6 players, you bring him up and get him accustomed to the NHL sooner than later.

Some players you take the slow marinating approach and with others you don't need to.

EDIT: In addition he's never been a big point producer, whether in the CHL or AHL so I don't think his role will ever an offensive catalyst in the NHL.

jhutter

Dec 23, 2016

Exactly. As much as I like Kleven, Ostapchuk, Crookshank, etc., it's extremely difficult to pencil in rookies that aren't top 5 picks. It isn't easy to become a bonafide everyday NHLer.

Ridly Greig has 3 points in his last 20 games.

Depends, if you want to develop his offensive touch/skills because you project him in your top/middle 6, then by all means keep him in the AHL for a bit longer.

But if he has the tools, doesn't look of place and he's a better option than some of our current bottom 6 players, you bring him up and get him accustomed to the NHL sooner than later.

Some players you take the slow marinating approach and with others you don't need to.
If Zack Ostapchuk is projected in the Sens' top 6, get me outta here.

Reactions: KnuckChuckinTkachuk

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008

EDIT: In addition he's never been a big point producer, whether in the CHL or AHL so I don't think his role will ever an offensive catalyst in the NHL.

Ostapchuk has similar tools to Nick Paul and we should slow cook him like we did with Paul, minus the extra year in the AHL when he had to go through waivers.

Paul wasn't a big point producer in juniors either. He needed time to develop his scoring touch and figure out how to use his massive frame to produce offense.

I don't want Ostapchuk to get pushed into a grinding role too early and have his offense stagnate.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Rather have someone like Lindholm to take RH faceoffs and play defensively:

Joseph Stutzle Giroux
Tkachuk Pinto Batherson
Celebrini Norris Lindholm
Greig Ostapchuk Kelly/Boucher

Lindholm has 7 less points this season than Reinhart has goals. I don't know where this notion that Reinhart isn't good defensively comes from but I think he's also better in that aspect now. I'd easily pay 2-3 more M$ to have Reinhart. But pipe dream anyway, would need to luck out big time

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Part of why our team is underperforming is that some of players are still too young and underdeveloped physically. Stutzle, Greig, Ostapchuk among them. Tkachuk this year is a tank compared to how he looked a couple of years ago, and now he basically cannot be outmuscled along the boards; you just know he's going to come out with the puck in his possession.

So yeah, let Ostapchuk marinate another year; ideally even Greig should have spent the year in the AHL.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Part of why our team is underperforming is that some of players are still too young and underdeveloped physically. Stutzle, Greig, Ostapchuk among them. Tkachuk this year is a tank compared to how he looked a couple of years ago, and now he basically cannot be outmuscled along the boards; you just know he's going to come out with the puck in his possession.

So yeah, let Ostapchuk marinate another year; ideally even Greig should have spent the year in the AHL.
The thing is none of those guys are that young. Stuetzle and Greig are in their D+4 years. They might get a bit stronger and heavier but they should not be under developed at this point. Ostapchuk is D+3. We'll start to see guys in his draft year around his draft slot starting to be regulars. Maybe not fully grown into his body but that should be coming soon.

At least for Stuetzle and Greig, the needs to physically develop is getting stale and should expire in another 20 games.

Reactions: DrEasy

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
Both Kleven & Ostapchuk should be on this roster next season, they will make the team bigger, tougher, harder to play against & reduce goals against.

Kleven > Brannstrom
Ostapchuk > Kubalik
What a powerful statement. Ostapchuk is better than Kubalik. Well no fckn shit. Teasing aside, I think Ostapchuk is going to be the player you have been wanting for this team. Better even.

P.S.
Nobody is better than Brannstrom.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
I’d be curious to see him get a few games at LW with Stutzle and Giroux in a Greening with Spezza type role.

Reactions: aragorn

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I’d be curious to see him get a few games at LW with Stutzle and Giroux in a Greening with Spezza type role.
Most said Pinto was a 3rd line centre & now he is centering the top line between Tkachuk & Batherson. I also prefer Ostapchuk at LW with Greig in the middle, but Ostapchuk can play either psosition effectively & can move up when their are injuries & not look out of place. While he can chip in offensively, he is mostly know for being a very good defensive forward & a pain in the ass to play against which is exactly what this team lacks, players that are hard to play against.

Kleven on defence will be another guy who will be a pain in the ass to play against on defence. I expect him to be in Ottawa's lineup next season too & he should help reduce their goals against. It will be interesting to see what happens with Ottawa's goalies next season. Will they move out Korpisalo or will they wait next season to move out Forsberg who will be in his last yr, trade him for a pick or something & let Sogaard take the backup spot? These are the three prospects I think should be on the team full time at some point next season Kleven, Pstapchuk & Sogaard. Jarventie is another interesting prospect if he too can stay healthy.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
He doesn't need much AHL time, would think he'd be ready next year

Going to be a very important role player for the team. Chip in 25/30 points and that's gravy

Jordan Staal-lite
Remember when we had a discussion during the draft between Dobson who you liked & Bouchard who I liked looking in the stats for Defencemen they are one pt apart with Dobson playing one extra game. Good call & I think Dobson so far is the better all around defenceman & better on D than Boucher. I'm hoping that Yakemchuk RD can turn out like Dobson RD.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Remember when we had a discussion during the draft between Dobson who you liked & Bouchard who I liked looking in the stats for Defencemen they are one pt apart with Dobson playing one extra game. Good call & I think Dobson so far is the better all around defenceman & better on D than Boucher. I'm hoping that Yakemchuk RD can turn out like Dobson RD.
What in Yakemchuk's game is reminiscent of Dobson in your viewings?

Reactions: Alf Silfversson

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
What in Yakemchuk's game is reminiscent of Dobson in your viewings?
Not sure he will be as good as Dobson although that would be great, but he is big, offensive defenceman with great range & tools. He seems good in transition, aggressive, makes good decisions with the puck, can carry the puck & is a decent passer. He struggles at times defenisvely something Dobson is very good at, but with his size, reach & strength can at times recover quickly. He can also play a more physical game, even drop them if necessary, he just looks & plays like a pro player IMO. Both are good skaters, both good in transition, both about the same size, both can be more physical & use their size to their advantage to screen off smaller players. This is what I think is missing on Ottawa's backend is size & physicality.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad