Zack Kelly's Re-Drafting All 1st Overall Picks 1998-2018

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
The only thing he was better at last year was scoring points on a stacked PP unit.

What powerplay do you think Rielly was on last year? Shows how little you must have watched him considering his unit was:

JVR - Bozak - Kadri
Rielly - Marner

Do you honestly believe this group is better than most #1 groups in the NHL (and therefore can be considered "stacked"? The powerplay ran through Rielly and Marner to set up an easy goal for one of the three average forwards.

Rielly did not just get points last year because of a stacked powerplay, but he did see a point total improvement once Babcock was satisified with his defensive development and unleashed him offensively by finally allowing him to play good powerplay minutes.

Reactions: smitty10

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
What powerplay do you think Rielly was on last year? Shows how little you must have watched him considering his unit was:

JVR - Bozak - Kadri
Rielly - Marner

Do you honestly believe this group is better than most #1 groups in the NHL (and therefore can be considered "stacked"? The powerplay ran through Rielly and Marner to set up an easy goal for one of the three average forwards.

Rielly did not just get points last year because of a stacked powerplay, but he did see a point total improvement once Babcock was satisified with his defensive development and unleashed him offensively by finally allowing him to play good powerplay minutes.

I see I touched a nerve. Testy much?

And JVR is many things but average on the PP he isnt, he’s one of the best net front players in the game.

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
I see I touched a nerve. Testy much?

And JVR is many things but average on the PP he isnt, he’s one of the best net front players in the game.

Not testy at all. All im asking is do you actually think this powerplay unit (not including Rielly you said this powerplay unit was carrying him point wise) is better than most leagues #1 units?

Reactions: smitty10

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
man im getting dragged for this but I deserve it i didnt clue into how obserd it was. the site i was using for that info i misread and didnt clue into it because i was focusing on alot of things making the list xD. its fixed

Dont stress it. Its actually pretty funny.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Not testy at all. All im asking is do you actually think this powerplay unit (not including Rielly you said this powerplay unit was carrying him point wise) is better than most leagues #1 units?

Other than Bozak yeah I do. Marner has some of the best vision in the league and JVR is a top 3-5 net front presence in the league. And say what you will about Kadri but I think he’s pretty good on the PP, he’s got good hands and vision and is able to maintain possession by making smart decisions with the extra man.

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
Other than Bozak yeah I do. Marner has some of the best vision in the league and JVR is a top 3-5 net front presence in the league. And say what you will about Kadri but I think he’s pretty good on the PP, he’s got good hands and vision and is able to maintain possession by making smart decisions with the extra man.

Never said they werent good players, but you said that Rielly just got points because he was on a stacked powerplay team. You also cant just take away one of the players on the unit and say its stacked besides that person.

When a player is one of the most skilled on the unit, runs the unit, and the unit is nothing better than above average, you cant say that they are benefitting from the powerplay and thats thr sole reason for their production.

Thats like me saying Point isnt that good, hes just benefitting from the TBL powerplay.

Edit: Most teams have a better top 4 players on their top powerplay than JVR, Bozak, Kadri, and Marner circa 2017-18 season.

oooooooooohCanada

Jan 14, 2017
I'd take Hedman over Tavares and it's not close. Franchise number one dman for a player without a 40 goal season until this one. And not to state the obvious but Tavares isn't a "franchise" player.

Stamkos over Karlsson is fine especially considering how Stamkos has gotten past his injuries to be a top level player in the league again.

Tavares is definitely a 'franchise player'. My definition of that is someone you can build a team around, which is what JT is.

It's very close though as Hedman is also a franchise player. Depends what you'd rather have.

---------------------------------------

For the people saying Rielly is a product of a powerplay or something:

Rielly is 1st in even strength points

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
2003 was tough and i really based it off of what if to be honestly and I shouldn't have. just imagine what burns could have been if he started earlier. 2003 was so hard to chose everyone gonna have their own opinion
You made it sound like he was a forward up until he went to D with San Jose. That isn't true. He had multiple seasons as a defenseman in Minnesota. So there really isn't a big "what if" with him. He is just a guy who took a while to put it all together.

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
Good thread OP...

My preferences:

Nash over Keith.

2002: Nash over Keith

tenor.gif

One of these players is a lock for the Hall of fame and was the best at his position for multiple years the other is Rick Nash

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
2003?
I don't think Burns makes the top 5. Definitely not #1. He's had half a career - or are we foregoing how good some of these guys were/are.

1. Bergeron
2. Weber
3. Getzlaf
4. Staal

should be an easy top 4. you might slightly disagree on the placement but not enough to really argue the point.

- then - Perry, Suter, Fleury, Burns,
and one of Pavelski, J. Carter, D. Brown, Seabrook, Parise Crawford, Halak, Howard, thrown into a blender to finish the top 10

No one is taking Burns over Bergeron.

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
I hate to be that Leaf guy but Burke said they had Rielly at #1 when they drafted him. Even told Bettman on the podium

Last edited:

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Karlsson>Stamkos
Forsberg>Reilly
Getzlaf/Bergeron>Burns
Toews>Giroux

Good list OP but you have a lot of recency bias in your picks.

Last edited:

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
yeah thats true looking back. but i even without i would still take reilly and giroux. maybe burns was the wrong chouce tho

It's tough for sure, and I wasn't trying to be a jerk as I like when people put the time and effort into this kinda stuff, but Burns especially seemed like a really odd choice.
For me Bergeron is easily #1 but understand if someone argued for Weber or Getzlaf as they're both amazing players. Then you can make an argument for a bunch of players from 4-10 (I'd have E.Staal 4th and Perry 5th) but different people/ different views.
Even if you like him more than most - I can't see anyone taking him over Getzlaf or Bergeron considering the careers they've had and the kind of impact players they've been/ still are. Bergeron is the only player from '03 that is locked in as a first ballot HHOFer.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
It's tough for sure, and I wasn't trying to be a jerk as I like when people put the time and effort into this kinda stuff, but Burns especially seemed like a really odd choice.
For me Bergeron is easily #1 but understand if someone argued for Weber or Getzlaf as they're both amazing players. Then you can make an argument for a bunch of players from 4-10 (I'd have E.Staal 4th and Perry 5th) but different people/ different views.
Even if you like him more than most - I can't see anyone taking him over Getzlaf or Bergeron considering the careers they've had and the kind of impact players they've been/ still are. Bergeron is the only player from '03 that is locked in as a first ballot HHOFer.

Burns has had a great peak, but you can discount the 10 years it took him to get there while multiple people from 03 have had great careers. Burns is top 10, not #1

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
2003 I'd take Bergeron, Staal, Weber, or Getzlaf over Burns pretty easily.

I would agree with this.

What I will say is that burns might have been the best pick in the sense that the wild went completely off the radar to take him as early as they did. Obviously, they saw something in him, and they were bang on.

Zack Kelly

Jan 1, 2019
I would agree with this.

What I will say is that burns might have been the best pick in the sense that the wild went completely off the radar to take him as early as they did. Obviously, they saw something in him, and they were bang on.
facts

Tall Morty

Visualize the action to actualize the vision
Apr 18, 2017
Good thread. In 2003, I have Bergeron, as much as it pains me to praise the Bruins in any way. A few others I thought could go another way, but I forgot them by the time I read the rest of the thread, and I can’t be bothered to go read them again.

Also, the word is ‘absurd’ ;)

Reactions: irunthepeg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad