Zack Kelly's Re-Drafting All 1st Overall Picks 1998-2018

The Red Line

Oct 11, 2010
I go EK for sure and probably Getzlaf, but honestly pretty good list and you showed your work so I can't disagree too much!

Those were good times as a Wings fan.

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
This thread prompted me to look through some other draft classes. 1989 was stupid good,especially for Detroit who also ended up with Draper though didn't draft him but set the Wings back $1.00.

Ghost Bear

Mar 7, 2015
then Kronwall right after. Wings have great drafting, then they gotr Jo Veleno and Zadina this year both later then expected IMO. Awesome Drafting
Later than expected =/= good drafting. Neither has proven anything in the NHL yet.

InglewoodJack

Jun 10, 2009
Châteauguay
The thing with exercises like this is that a lot of these #1 picks were drafted where they belonged at the time. IIRC when Datsyuk was drafted he weighed about 150 pounds and he was nowhere near NHL potential.

Zack Kelly

Jan 1, 2019
The thing with exercises like this is that a lot of these #1 picks were drafted where they belonged at the time. IIRC when Datsyuk was drafted he weighed about 150 pounds and he was nowhere near NHL potential.
i know that but this is taken from my prospective with all knowledge of their career

Zack Kelly

Jan 1, 2019
Is there really no consideration for Lundqvist in 2000? I get flashy forwards in Gaborik and Heatley, but at this point I have to take Lundqvist first in that draft.
honestly, i forgot lunqvist was in that draft. I still stand by my choice but he is defintely close if not easily chooseable

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
then Kronwall right after. Wings have great drafting, then they gotr Jo Veleno and Zadina this year both later then expected IMO. Awesome Drafting

I do not agree with using the Datsyuk and Zetterberg argument to say that Det is or was great at drafting. They got lucky in both years. If they were great at drafting and had any inkling that Datsyuk was going to be an NHLer let alone arguably the best in that draft they would not have drafted Ryan Barnes, Tomek Valtonen, Jake McCraken, Brent Hobday, Carl steen, and Adam Deleuw before they got around to using their 8th pick in that draft.

Similarly if they had an inkling of what Zetterberg could be would they have waited until the 210th overall pick to pick him?

Reactions: Faterson

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Karlsson > Stamkos
Hall > Seguin

Everything else is correct imo
Agree on Hall.

Not sure about Stamkos vs Karlsson. I think Stamkos is the better pick. He was hampered by injuries but he was absolutely unbelievable. Karlsson was insane though and has had the better career. Both are just great picks.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
2013 should have Jones in the discussion too. Jones was a 2nd AST and finished 4th in Norris voting. He's hitting his prime now too.

Dicky113

Oct 30, 2007
So I'm going to Re-draft only the first overall picks over the last 20 years of drafting with all of the insight that he have of how the players careers are going and have turned out. My picks will be taken for straight up value, not what the team was looking for at the time. To Conclude my into I will be explaining why i make the choices i make ONLY when i disagree with a pick. if I agree I'm not going to bother explaining why

1998:
Original pick was Vincent Lecavalier
My Pick is Pavel Datsyuk
Although Vincent Lecavalier is the leader in points for the entire draft class and was a fantastic player for many many years I've gotta say that the 171st overall STEAL has to be the best pick in the draft year. the Red Wings absolutely stealing a franchise player late in the draft. Datsyuk was almost a point per game through his career with 918 points in 953 games only 29 points behind Levavalier in 259 games. and I almost everyone hates using +/- as a stat to show how good a player is but COME ON +249 in his career that's unreal and I wouldn't bring that stat up if i didn't recognize how good Datsyuk was defensively as well. Long story short Vinny was good but Pavel was better

1999:
Original pick was Patrik Stefan
My Pick is Henrik Zetterberg
The 1999 draft was a weaker draft for sure but again im going to say hats off to Detroit for another crazy steal. honestly the top 3 in this draft for me would be him then the Sedins and if you gave it to the Sedins I would understand why. all 3 players were superb and for Patrik Stefan... that was a "Wiff" of a pick, similar to his "Wiff" am I right? Henrik Zetterberg having a better PPG average then either Sedin and scoring more goals then Henrik in about 350 less games for me its a clear winner and stand out more to me because he was picked 210th, even though I said im picking out of pure value I would still chose Zetterberg. Smart, fast and a good shot he was deadly during his prime. truely great player

2000:
Original pick was Rick DiPietro
My Pick is Dany Heatley
It was a tough pick between Heater or Gaborik but I had to chose Heatley, Kronwall/Visnovsky is also up there for me as they are the highest point per game defenders and very solid defenders for a long time but they were nowhere close to Heater or Gaborik. Heatley was absolutely DYNAMITE for a long time one of the best goal scorers drafted in the 2000s being the second highest goal scoring player with 130ish less games played the Gaborik. Being a 50 goal scorer twice,
2001:
Original pick was Ilya Kovalchuk
My Pick is Ilya Kovalchuck
I hate picking him because he ditched the NHL for a while but he was the best player

2002:
Original pick was Rick Nash
My Pick is Duncan Keith
Controversial but i'm going to have to stick to my guns, Nash was really solid but Keith was one of if not the best defender all around from 2007-2017 over these years he racked up serious hardware , 5 and he led the Chicago BlackHawks through their unbelievable run and is a 2 time 60 point scoring defender. Keith wasnt just good he was the best(arguably).

2003:
Original pick was Marc-Andre Fleury
My Pick is Brent Burns
This one I feel hardcore flame coming for me not choosing Getzlaf but hear me out. Burns started his career as a forward and never really caught traction until he was moved to defense. Burns was a late bloomer and his stats are unbelievable from defense since 2014-2015 he hasn't registered under 60 points a season. he is probably one of the best all around defenders. nobody can play the defensive and offensive game that he can from the point.

2004:
Original pick was Alex Ovechkin
My Pick is Obechkin
DUH

2005:
Original pick was Sidney Crosby
My Pick is Crosby
DUH

2006:
Original pick was Erik Johnson
My Pick is Giroux
This was probably my toughest pick yet, because how can you chose between Backstrom, Kessel, Giroux, Toews and Marchand i honestly believe that Giroux has been the best player in that group. Backstrom had Ovi for his whole career so thats a help to his high career totals,not to take anything away from him cuz he is a great player. Toews had an amazing team around him, Kessel not so much but now he is on Pittsburgh putting up crazy numbers, he is just not as 2 dimensional as Giroux is. and marchand was more of a late bloomer but again benefits from a great team. And I dont like him at all. Giroux really stepped up in 2010-2011 leading his team as a 22 year old with a declining Briere second in scoring. since then Giroux has been the face or Philly

2007:
Original pick was Patrick Kane
My Pick is Patrick Kane
DUH

2008:
Original pick was Steven Stamkos
My Pick is Steven Stamkos
But Erik Karlsson is very close, very very close

2009:
Original pick was John Tavares
My Pick is John Tavares
But Victoir Hedman is very close

2010:
Original pick was Taylor Hall
My Pick is Tyler Seguin
Hall is very good and arguably better then Seguin but I find Seguin although having an off year (kind of) has been a more consistent 2 way player who is defensively sound and offensively sound. Hall was the carry of NJD and off of a hart trophy win but seguin season in and season out has been awesome and will continue to do so for many years. close one but it goes to Seguin in my Opinion

2011:
Original pick was Ryan Nugent-Hopkins
My Pick is Nikita Kucherov
an awesome steal from TBL picking him 58th overall. Kucherov has shown to be one of the most dynamic players in the league and without a doubt top 5 if not top 3 for me. hes Fast, dummy silky hands a great shot and awesome hockey IQ he is on a crazy pace at the moment playing on a stacked TBL lineup but I think its him being great not the team being great. other players thrive off of playing with him, not the other way around.

2012:
Original pick was Nail Yakupov
My Pick is Morgan Rielly
Maybe a bit of a rushed pick as Rielly is just exploding this year truely showing how gifted offensively he is, still young and has his mistakes but he is truly a skilled defender who has great hockey IQ. Filip Forsberg is a close second but its gotta be Rielly

2013:
Original pick was Nathan MacKinnon
My Pick is Nathan MacKinnon
Barkov and Monahan are close but Mack is unreal

2014:
Original pick was Aaron Ekblad
My Pick is Braden Point
Rash pick? maybe. But this year Point has exploded and shown to be a highly skilled player. he is currently second on the team with points, playing first line minutes with Kucherov. now my second pick would be Pasternak because he is also unreal. This is the best way i can explain it, Point has a higher ceiling then Pasternak but I think its less likely for him to hit his ceiling then for Pasternak to hit his. Point is doing great and this is a crazy good breakout season for him but im unsure if he will continue producing like this for his career where as Pasternak I think for sure will be an elite goal scorer for years to come

2015:
Original pick was Connor McDavid
My Pick is Connor McDavid
DUH (but this draft class is unreal and has tons of great players)

2016:
Original pick was Auston Matthews
My Pick is Auston Matthews
close one for him and Laine but as it stand now I believe Matthews>Laine

2017:
Original pick was Nico Hischier
My Pick is Elias Petterson
Petterson has shown this year that he is an elite scorer and is no joke, 2 injuries this year has held him back, but with 44 points in 39 games in his rookie season Petterson has a hopefully long career putting up tons of points for the Nucks

2018:
Original pick was Rasmus Dahlin
My Pick is Rasmus Dahlin
good draft class so far tho

Thats it, my last 20 years of first overall picks! hope you enjoyed and agree with most of my picks, if you disagree tell me why in the replys and if you wanna follow my twitter is @AmatureAnalyist THANKS!
P.S yes I know my explanations shrunk the father up we got, cant say as much about the newer players and im a hockey history buff so i love writing about older hockey. also i put this is main boards cuz it isnt really a Mock draft and im not sure where else to put this. if mods think it should be somewhere else please move it, thanks!
I don’t see any way Burns is ahead of Bergeron as the best player out of the 2003 draft. Otherwise good list

KingTux

On espère pour Lafrenière
Aug 9, 2013
hu2l
Great list and interesting read ! I am not implying your opinions are wrong, but here's a few I would choose differently :

2002: Nash over Keith
2003 : I would go with Staal. I know a lot of people will disagree with this but overall I think he had the best career of its draft class.
2008: I would probably go with Karlsson but I agree with you its a very close call.
2009: I would take Hedman before Tavares, I think he's the most valuable player.
2014: I pick Dr Dre.

bland

Jul 1, 2004
Karlsson over Stamkos for sure.

But both are well below Doughty. They are the sizzle, Doughty is the steak.

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
Great list, mine has only a few changes, among them not including the two most recent drafts...

1998:
Original: Vinny Lecavalier
Mine: Pavel Datsyuk (171)

1999:
Original: Patrik Stefan
Mine: Henrik Sedin (3)

2000:
Original: Rick DiPietro
Mine: Henrik Lundqvist (205)

2001:
Original: Ilya Kovalchuk
Mine: Ilya Kovalchuk

2002:
Original: Rick Nash
Mine: Duncan Keith (54)

2003:
Original: Marc-Andre Fleury
Mine: Patrice Bergeron (45)

2004:
Original: Alexander Ovechkin
Mine: Alexander Ovechkin

2005:
Original: Sidney Crosby
Mine: Sidney Crosby

2006:
Original: Erik Johnson
Mine: Nicklas Backstrom (4)

2007:
Original: Patrick Kane
Mine: Patrick Kane

2008:
Original: Steven Stamkos
Mine: Steven Stamkos

2009:
Original: John Tavares
Mine: Victor Hedman (2)

2010:
Original: Taylor Hall
Mine: Tyler Seguin (2)

2011:
Original: Ryan Nugent-Hopkins
Mine: Nikita Kucherov (58)

2012:
Original: Nail Yakupov
Mine: Morgan Rielly (5)

2013:
Original: Nathan MacKinnon
Mine: Nathan MacKinnon

2014:
Original: Aaron Ekblad
Mine: Leon Draisaitl (3)

2015:
Original: Connor McDavid
Mine: Connor McDavid

2016:
Original: Auston Matthews
Mine: Auston Matthews

2017-2018: Too early

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
Most of OP's picks are decent.

2012 is way off. I am surprised no one gave Vasilevskiy (19) any love. Reilly nor Forsberg is nowhere close to how consistently dominant TB's goalie is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad