Zack Kassian VII - There Is No Need To Be Upset

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver
So apparently Kassian's back is a mess and there are some days he can't even get out of bed? Saw this on twitter and apparently Botch was saying it but any actual sources?

So let me understand this ..

Botch: Kassian is almost a paraplegic.

Lalji - Kassian will participate in morning skate today.

I'd go with Farhan Lalji.

luongo321

Apr 12, 2011
I feel the Canucks have Kassian locked up in the Rogers Arena dungeon. They will unleash him during the playoffs.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I feel the Canucks have Kassian locked up in the Rogers Arena dungeon. They will unleash him during the playoffs.

They did the only sensible thing they couled do with a disturbing player: lock him in the attic and feed him a bucket of fish heads every week

shortshorts

Oct 29, 2008
Watched him doing deadlifts over the summer, and while it was impressive I thought to myself 'it's amazing his lower back can can handle that' while simultaneously thinking 'he's going to pay the price for that when he gets older'...

Some of this 'high tech' HIIT workout stuff is great for your muscles and even your heart, but really horrible for your back. There is so much fatigue that the muscles you count on to protect you are too tired to do anything for you, but your told to 'keep going', and to 'fight through the pain'.

Someday we will look back upon this current trend of working out and shake our heads as to how stupid it was (and I whole heartedly agree that there is a tonne of good that's come from it; more good than bad in fact).

The difference between strengthening your back with yoga and with deadlifts are completely different.

Your back likely (I'm almost 100% positive) feels significantly better because yoga helps your core, and flexibility in your legs. Yoga will help the average person because they don't typically do the activities that strengthen their core to help alleviate the stress on the back.

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC
So let me understand this ..

Botch: Kassian is almost a paraplegic.

Lalji - Kassian will participate in morning skate today.

I'd go with Farhan Lalji.

To be fair, I haven't actually seen Botchford saying that. Somebody claimed on Twitter that he said it, but I've seen no proof.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
To be fair, I haven't actually seen Botchford saying that. Somebody claimed on Twitter that he said it, but I've seen no proof.

That and I don't believe the quote was he couldn't currently get out of bed just during this there are time he couldn't. Also speaking on behalf of back injuries everywhere, I played 3 games the last week....but it could be I'm not able to get out of bed tomorrow if it decides to flare up.

TacitEndorsement

Jul 2, 2009
It's why I stopped deadlifting, at one point I felt like my lower back was about to explode from the wear & tear. For Chest & Back and I purely use body weight (pushups, pullups) mixed with free weights.

As soon as I stopped deadlifting and started doing yoga, my back has never been better.

You also don't need to have NHL power forward strength. Deadlift is the king of strength.

TheWanderer

Nov 15, 2013
Man, has there really just been no word on this guy since he stopped playing?

I really hope he's playing for us, and healthy, next season. We could really have used him in the playoffs against crapgary.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
Man, has there really just been no word on this guy since he stopped playing?

I really hope he's playing for us, and healthy, next season. We could really have used him in the playoffs against crapgary.

Agree on all accounts.

Hopefully he has a full recovery and this isn't an injury that haunts him for the rest of his career/life.

shortshorts

Oct 29, 2008
His last instagram post was a picture of himself being interviewed moments after the trade deadline.

The caption was "TBT... when I didn't get traded". :laugh:

Unfortunately, I think Benning is still trying to trade the guy.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
His last instagram post was a picture of himself being interviewed moments after the trade deadline.

I saw that too..shows how he feels about this team. Can't blame him.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010

I don't know if it's ever been so much "Benning trying to trade the guy", as "listening to offers". I mean, he clearly hasn't found an offer he likes enough to actually pull the trigger. And i certainly don't know how Kassian is feeling about being a Canuck these days...

But that certainly is a kind of odd message to put out there. It certainly conjures up some kind of negative impressions. Makes you wonder if he's wanting out at this point. Just rampant idle summer speculation though.

It just seems like it's been a tough fit here. We've run through 3 coaches where it's been the same story, two steps forward, one step back...still battling the same issues. They've been very patient with Kassian, and there are those occasional flashes...but it's certainly encroaching on that point in time where the "he's young, he's got potential!" factor starts to fade, and his value along with that if he doesn't start to figure it out more consistently. Kind of approaching a "crossroads" of sorts...where you've really gotta trust whatever your evaluation on Kassian is...and move on that accordingly. Is he going to "break out" eventually? Or is this pretty much "as good as it gets", in which case his value may never be higher. Tough call...a lot of egg on your face either way if you make the wrong call.

If there's some discontentment with Zack behind the scenes, that just further complicates things.

Smokey McCanucks

PuckDaddy "Perfect HFBoard Trade Proposal 02/24/14
Dec 21, 2010
I feel like a healthy Kassian would have made a big difference for us in the playoffs. Guys like Hansen and Kenins got pushed into too many minutes and too many big situations, especially with Burrows out and Vrbata struggling.

Rex Banner

Custom User Title
Aug 22, 2013
He was on such tear before his back problems. Hopefully he can pick up where he left off.

I'm still in the camp that thinks all last year's trade murmurs were just attempts to motivate him.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
Post about Kassian from HockeyWidow:

Kassian was starting to play the way WD wanted just before his back injury. His physical fitness was said to be the main issue. Remember when he first came here and we called him gassian? I think it has taken him a long time to figure out that in the pros you can't just show up, put on your skates and dominate. From all accounts he started his turn around the first off season that he went to Sweden and trained with the twins but it has taken him some time to truly get it.

The bouts of partying while on DL, things like that, he had to out grow. From all indications this off season, and since his back injury, he seems to have gotten it. Maybe WD handled him correctly. The back injury changed things for him too. It is the type of nagging condition that he has to manage in order to prevent flare ups.

I'm hoping for a Kassian that gets he has to work at being a pro and one that stays healthy and becomes that power forward so many of us think he can be. From nutrition to fitness I am hearing he has put in so far a monster off season and wants desperately to earn a job and keep it. I think almost everyone would be stoked if he can do that, including Benning.

That's probably best new I've heard this off-season.

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
Post about Kassian from HockeyWidow:

Kassian was starting to play the way WD wanted just before his back injury. His physical fitness was said to be the main issue. Remember when he first came here and we called him gassian? I think it has taken him a long time to figure out that in the pros you can't just show up, put on your skates and dominate. From all accounts he started his turn around the first off season that he went to Sweden and trained with the twins but it has taken him some time to truly get it.

The bouts of partying while on DL, things like that, he had to out grow. From all indications this off season, and since his back injury, he seems to have gotten it. Maybe WD handled him correctly. The back injury changed things for him too. It is the type of nagging condition that he has to manage in order to prevent flare ups.

I'm hoping for a Kassian that gets he has to work at being a pro and one that stays healthy and becomes that power forward so many of us think he can be. From nutrition to fitness I am hearing he has put in so far a monster off season and wants desperately to earn a job and keep it. I think almost everyone would be stoked if he can do that, including Benning.

That's probably best new I've heard this off-season.

Bold 1, Bold 2: A pre-emptive I-told-you-so. Kassian being benched was a product of his own ****** play and not some kind of Willie Desjardins witch-hunt. Stuff your histrionic, conjectural narratives right where they belong.

Bold 3: ZK is indeed hard at work in the gym. His trainer Dave Orton recently posted a series of videos to his personal YouTube channel, with zero publicity, based on current view count. Maybe they were meant to be private or unlisted videos.

Last edited:

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
Bold 1, Bold 2: A pre-emptive I-told-you-so. Kassian being benched was a product of his own ****** play and not some kind of Willie Desjardins witch-hunt. Stuff your histrionic, conjectural narratives right where they belong.

Bold 3: ZK is indeed hard at work in the gym. His trainer Dave Orton recently posted a series of videos to his personal YouTube channel, with zero publicity, based on current view count. Maybe they were meant to be private or unlisted videos.

Wow that's the leanest I have ever seen him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad