Zack Kassian improvement

sabresfan123*

I remember mixed reviews with Kassain in the NHL draft in 2009 people thought he was not a top 6 forward. His OHL stats show the guy is dominating in the OHL and has improved greatly. I am not sure why the leafs didn't trade down to draft this guy as he is the exact player Burke likes on his team. I am bringing up the leafs because I am wondering if people think he will be better then Kadri?

I hate to compare prospects to NHL players but who do poeple compare this guy to? Kevin Stevens? Cam Neely? Todd Bertuzzi?

What are people's take on this guy and do they feel he is going to be a top line NHL forward?

R S

Sep 18, 2006
I like the fact that he seems to have cut down his stupid antics and bad penalties. Just goes out and plays with a tough physical edge, without crossing a line like he used to.

jughead42*

This is what his former GM in Peterborough said about him after trading him to Windsor last year: "They got Bob Probert. He's a mix of skill and toughness. This kid is special and he's probably the toughest guy in the league. He's capable of hurting people in a fight and he can play."

I can tell you that is probably the best comparison because I don't think anybody else in the NHL right now plays his game. He's absolutely a bully and he uses it to his advantage. Few guys in the NHL right now could stand up to him in a fight, he is simply the best fighter we've ever had in Windsor and that's saying something. However he uses the fact that opposing players are intimidated to buy real estate in the dirty areas of the ice and he's got the skill to do something with it.

He's got great hand-eye coordination, I've seen score some nice goals tipping in point shots from in front of the net. He's also got great puck control, he's deadly slapping away rebounds or controlling the puck along the boards. I don't need to tell you about his body checking abilities, they are well documented. You need to keep your head up when he's out there.

Bob Probert scored 29 goals one year, its a good comparison. I wish Toronto did have him. Its going to suck watching him kick the crap out of the Leafs so many times a year. He's basically an enforcer with the skill to play on a top line.

Kvashinator12

Feb 27, 2002
United States
Visit site
This is what his former GM in Peterborough said about him after trading him to Windsor last year: "They got Bob Probert. He's a mix of skill and toughness. This kid is special and he's probably the toughest guy in the league. He's capable of hurting people in a fight and he can play."

I can tell you that is probably the best comparison because I don't think anybody else in the NHL right now plays his game. He's absolutely a bully and he uses it to his advantage. Few guys in the NHL right now could stand up to him in a fight, he is simply the best fighter we've ever had in Windsor and that's saying something. However he uses the fact that opposing players are intimidated to buy real estate in the dirty areas of the ice and he's got the skill to do something with it.

He's got great hand-eye coordination, I've seen score some nice goals tipping in point shots from in front of the net. He's also got great puck control, he's deadly slapping away rebounds or controlling the puck along the boards. I don't need to tell you about his body checking abilities, they are well documented. You need to keep your head up when he's out there.

Bob Probert scored 29 goals one year, its a good comparison. I wish Toronto did have him. Its going to suck watching him kick the crap out of the Leafs so many times a year. He's basically an enforcer with the skill to play on a top line.

The bolded is probably one of the silliest statements i've read on here in a while. When he starts fighting men it will be a different story. He is no Milan Lucic

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
i like Kassian a lot and really wanted the leafs to move back a bit and pick him. He has all the tools to be a NHL player now. the size and skill are already there, he just needs to become a NHL player mentally.

and he is a version 2.0 of Milan Lucic. you watch.

Kevin Malone

Jul 3, 2009

I like the Probert comparison. However I see Kassian more of a hybrid between Bertuzzi(He handles the puck very similar to Bertuzzi IMO) and Probert. Not quite as tough as Bob and not quite as offensive as Todd but a good combination of both.

Why the Leafs didn't trade down for him I will never know. This kid is going to be the ultimate power forward for years to come.

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
He's a beast. That simple. Can't wait to see him in a Sabres jersey, especially his first fight with Lucic... oooohhhhhh!!!!!

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
Brad May.

People may initially think that comparison is an insult but May was actually a pretty promising player once upon a time before injuries robbed him of that. I think Kassian has more talent and he could be a very valuable NHL player. Upside? Something around 20-40-60 IMO.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Kassian will be a better fighter then Lucic. Seriously this guy is nails tough. He is a great player too. The Sabres have a gem here for sure.

I think he'll put up 60 points, which is pretty good in its own right. But the fact that he can fight with heabyweight enforcers makes it way better. I would trade Kadri for Kassian straight up any day of the week, but the Sabres would never take it

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
The bolded is probably one of the silliest statements i've read on here in a while. When he starts fighting men it will be a different story. He is no Milan Lucic
You're right, Kassian could end up being a better fighter than Lucic.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008

Really? Because Kassian is not only tough, but he's also crazy. Lucic is tough, too, but if you seriously do not think Kassian can give him a run for his money in a fight, then...:help:

msm29

Was htsportplaya
Jul 1, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Really? Because Kassian is not only tough, but he's also crazy. Lucic is tough, too, but if you seriously do not think Kassian can give him a run for his money in a fight, then...:help:

I think it was Lindy (who's probably biased) who said that Kassian is probably a better fighter than Lucic already.

GBFP

Sep 24, 2009
Kassian's fighting prowess goes a lot on reputation as he has fought maybe 2-3 times this year and never really had a barn burner fight. I don't believe he fought in the Buffalo camp either.

I look to Clifford to see what level of fighter Kassian will be early in his career.

I don't think Kassian will ever be heavyweight champ level, because that is for the true goons who train to be goons - Kassian will be a hockey player who can scrap.

He's a man among boys in the OHL this year, it will be interesting to see how his game translates when he's playing against other grown men, and when these grown men are looking to kick his ass in the AHL.

His Sabres profile has him listed at 214lbs, and while he's not that light, he has lost a lot of weight since coming to the Spits.

umwoz

Feb 28, 2010
Kassian's fighting prowess goes a lot on reputation as he has fought maybe 2-3 times this year and never really had a barn burner fight. I don't believe he fought in the Buffalo camp either.

I look to Clifford to see what level of fighter Kassian will be early in his career.

I don't think Kassian will ever be heavyweight champ level, because that is for the true goons who train to be goons - Kassian will be a hockey player who can scrap.

He's a man among boys in the OHL this year, it will be interesting to see how his game translates when he's playing against other grown men, and when these grown men are looking to kick his ass in the AHL.

His Sabres profile has him listed at 214lbs, and while he's not that light, he has lost a lot of weight since coming to the Spits.

A lot needs to be credited to his concerted effort to tone down the penalties/bonehead plays this year. The path he was on would have led him to be one of those fight-only goons. However he has harnessed his talent a lot more this season, and is using his size and strength to play hockey now.

Gobo

Stop looking Gare
Jun 29, 2010
Reminds me of Milan Lucic. More skilled, less nasty though.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

He's embraced the Sabres' directed training regimen and it's paid off. And having watched him last year and this, it is pretty clear that he's looking to play hard but cleaner -- much of his fighting over his time in the OHL has been due to him scrapping after hits that had crossed the line.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Reminds me of Milan Lucic. More skilled, less nasty though.

Really? I would say Kassian is much nastier actually.

I think Lucic will end up being a worse version of Kassian when all is said and done. Kassian has the toughness edge and has a better skill set in my eyes.

Lucic is tough but not anything to write home about. I think kassian is a guy who will be able to hang in there with guys like Orr even whereas Lucic is more of a spot picker and doesnt fight the toughest guy.

Kassian seems to have more of a mean streak too

Grod

The New Era Lives On
Feb 10, 2010
Edmonton
Really? I would say Kassian is much nastier actually.

I think Lucic will end up being a worse version of Kassian when all is said and done. Kassian has the toughness edge and has a better skill set in my eyes.

Lucic is tough but not anything to write home about. I think kassian is a guy who will be able to hang in there with guys like Orr even whereas Lucic is more of a spot picker and doesnt fight the toughest guy.

Kassian seems to have more of a mean streak too

Lucic produces offensively. He's Boston's top scorer right now. He doens't need to fight for a living. But when he does he lays much more severe lickens on NHL players than Kassian does against Junior comp. He dominated physically at the level too. With much less suspendable behaviour. Lucic has the more discipline of the two. You're blinders are on with Kassian. They're very similar. I think Lucic is stronger physically.

Last edited:

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Lucic produces offensively. He's Boston's top scorer right now. He doens't need to fight for a living. But when he does he lays much more severe lickens on NHL players than Kassian does against Junior comp. He dominated physically at the level too. With much less suspendable behaviour. Lucic has the more discipline of the two. You're blinders are on with Kassian. They're very similar. I think Lucic is stronger physically.

I never said he has to fight for a living but we're talking about his nastiness here, Kassian wont have to fight for a living.

Lucic rarely fights that toug of guys in the NHL and has losses against guys who are hardly heavyweights in Jared Boll and Prust recently.

Getting wins in fights against guys like Mike Brown and Komisarek does not make you all that nasty compared to someone who has like 20 games in suspension so far in his junior career.

And offensively Kassian has shown that in the same point in their careers Kassianw ill be better then Lucic. In 25 games this season Kassian is only 10 points off of Lucic's total at the end of their careers. Kassian has the highest ppg in the CHL right now I'm pretty sure.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
How's he looking in the tournament? I haven't been able to catch any of the games.

I think he can become a top 6 forward if he keeps on progressing; that's far from guaranteed, tho. I do like his potential upto this point.

I think at worse he will become a 3rd line grinder. He has the perfect size to become one.

alienanton*

in my eyes canada's best players have been, in order:

1. ryan johansen
2. brayden schenn
3. ryan ellis
4. zack kassian
5. marcus foligno

kassian has looked like a force.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands

This.

Kyle Clifford has fought Kassian numerous times. Won a few, lost a few. It was obvious they didnt like eachother. Clifford is playing in the NHL now, does well, has won most fights but lost some too.

But what do I read here...

Few guys in the NHL right now could stand up to him in a fight, he is simply the best fighter we've ever had in Windsor and that's saying something.

:facepalm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad