Zack Kassian - doing better for now

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
I think this is a remarkable story so far. Some battles never end, but hopefully Zack will be one of those who can manage it going forward.

Back in October, things were very bleak with the car accident.

Since then, he looks to have taken some positive steps:
Maybe before I was always pointing the finger but the only person really to blame is myself and I've accepted that...I've made a lot of gains since that mistake. I've really looked myself in the mirror and know what I have to do to be successful and be an successful NHL player.

And now a team who hated him from the Gagner incidents, seems to have come around.

Which brings us to last night, where he was on a line with McDavid and Hall. McDavid scored the winner, assisted by Kassian (at the 1:10 mark in the video).

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
I love the game he plays.

But him falling down on a 3-on-1 (with a forward as the defender) and not even generating a shot had me in tears

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Good for Kass!
He had streaks like this for the Canucks too where he looked like a top 6 player and then seemed to take a step back. Of course now we know there was more to the story.
Wish him all of the best.

incognito Burrito*

Good for him. Montreal should have held on to him, but why put faith in someone you need.

Instead, put love into a mental midget because he's from the providence.

billsoilers

May 20, 2011
Rio Grande do Sul
Absolutely love him.
We are a total new team with him,Maroon,Pardy, etc instead of Schultz and Purcell.
I really think next year we finally make the playoffs, and it also wouldn't surprise me if the Oilers lead the NHL in fights. We are no longer soft(still needs to trade Eberle), thank God

PrinceOfPucks

Jan 4, 2016
His problem isnt during the season. It's the off season where he really struggles w his Deamons.

Regnes

Feb 14, 2015
Prince George, BC
What is the NHL's beef with Kassian anyway? I always thought he played pretty well for the Canucks, but he was constantly scratched. The Canadiens didn't even want to play him after the accident. Glad the Oilers are giving him a chance.

Paulinvancouver

Gas station in Carbondale did not have fresh yams!
Dec 19, 2015
Love that guy. Our gm was insane to let him go for what we got back in return. Would love to have him back on this team but we all know that won't happen. :(

DapperCam

Jul 9, 2006
I've heard that when it comes to substance abuse, sometimes you need to hit rock bottom. Hope he keeps it up.

white galaxy*

was very unhappy with holland for not trading for kassy at such a cheap price with wings seriously needing size n ruggedness

maybe he cant exorcise his demons who knows , but he obviously has the capability of being a very solid powerforward in the nhl ,which there are very few capable of currently, if he can clean up his act . and its not like his issues were gigantic issues in the first place . hes canadian they
drink beer for breakfast christ sakes its the norm :naughty:

montreal was crazy for moving him so cheaply

great add for the oil , now with maroon n kassy around those hunting hall have to look over there shoulder as they could become the hunted

Last edited by a moderator:

I am toxic

Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
What is the NHL's beef with Kassian anyway? I always thought he played pretty well for the Canucks, but he was constantly scratched. The Canadiens didn't even want to play him after the accident. Glad the Oilers are giving him a chance.

When Torts got let go, it was bad for Kassian, as Torts was pulling for him.

When Gillis was replaced by Linen and Benning, it was only a matter of time before he was gone from Vancouver.

Bergevin did the right thing, gave Kassian clear boundary, one chance only. Kassian messed up. Bergevin could have buried Kassian, instead he went out of his way to give him a way out.

It's good to see Zack making the most of it. I hope he keeps it up, it will not be easy. But wow, on a line with a generational talent. It's a remarkable story, more than hockey.

jacks*

Mar 29, 2013
I think this is a remarkable story so far. Some battles never end, but hopefully Zack will be one of those who can manage it going forward.

Back in October, things were very bleak with the car accident.

Since then, he looks to have taken some positive steps:

And now a team who hated him from the Gagner incidents, seems to have come around.

Which brings us to last night, where he was on a line with McDavid and Hall. McDavid scored the winner, assisted by Kassian (at the 1:10 mark in the video).

Nice to hear he's back on track.

Pyromaniac

May 29, 2012
When Torts got let go, it was bad for Kassian, as Torts was pulling for him.

When Gillis was replaced by Linen and Benning, it was only a matter of time before he was gone from Vancouver.

Bergevin did the right thing, gave Kassian clear boundary, one chance only. Kassian messed up. Bergevin could have buried Kassian, instead he went out of his way to give him a way out.

It's good to see Zack making the most of it. I hope he keeps it up, it will not be easy. But wow, on a line with a generational talent. It's a remarkable story, more than hockey.

I am curious why you think that Bergevin went out of his way to help him. He was a player taking up cap who Montreal did not want in their organization.

habs03

Subban #Thoroughbred
Jun 21, 2010
Good for him. Montreal should have held on to him, but why put faith in someone you need.

Instead, put love into a mental midget because he's from the providence.

was very unhappy with holland for not trading for kassy at such a cheap price with wings seriously needing size n ruggedness

maybe he cant exorcise his demons who knows , but he obviously has the capability of being a very solid powerforward in the nhl ,which there are very few capable of currently, if he can clean up his act . and its not like his issues were gigantic issues in the first place . hes canadian they
drink beer for breakfast christ sakes its the norm :naughty:

montreal was crazy for moving him so cheaply

great add for the oil , now with maroon n kassy around those hunting hall have to look over there shoulder as they could become the hunted

I am a big Kassian fan, I was jumping up and down when he acquired him in the summer.

After the accident, I was so upset when it was clear Bergevin was not going to give him another chance.

Until Kassian return to Mtl as an Oiler, I remember he kinda gave out some info after the morning skate on what happened here.

It became clear that Bergevin knew he had a bad history when he aquired him, and Kassian made it seem like Bergevin told him that this was his last chance. So after the accident I can't blame Bergevin for sticking to his word.

As for Mtl given up an asset, first off, he didn't pay anything, heck when you think about it, the best asset in the Prust for Kassian and a 5th round pick, was the 5th round pick since both players were on waivers and could have been had for free.

And since Kassian was on waivers maybe a week before the trade to the Oilers its hard to say he had any value since every other team didn't want him.

I am toxic

Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
I am curious why you think that Bergevin went out of his way to help him. He was a player taking up cap who Montreal did not want in their organization.

Bergevin could have buried him in St J. Instead he took on Scrivens so Zack could do a conditioning stint where he'd been rehabbing.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
He's earned my respect. Very glad Chia pulled the trigger on a good buy low candidate.

hallhopkinseberle

Jul 14, 2007
london
I hated him when he was in Vancouver but I love him on this team. I think hes a type of player that you hate if he isn't on your team.

He makes us a pain in the ass to play against every night.

Maroon,Kassian,Nurse, Gryba, Hendricks and Cracknell have been great additions to our team, we used to be pushed around and picked on to our softness and small skilled forwards but not anymore.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
He's been an awesome fit.

Still a GIF machine too haha.

4IMAUIt.gif

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
What a handsome *******.

If he gets a movie, a young Jack Nicholson with some helium would be perfect.

BobbyShehan

May 29, 2008
NJ
I sincerely hope he can keep it up. It's a daily struggle that many people fight successfully. Bergevin gave him a chance but I still think he was dumb to not invest at least a few more months in the kid... unless he really thought Zach could not deal with Montreal.

robes1

Jul 22, 2015
Even though he's a total buffoon both on and off the ice, you can't help but want to cheer for him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad