Zack Kassian as a Defenseman

culee

Apr 19, 2006
Just something I thought about for fun. Don't take it too seriously!

Reasons why I think there could be potential success:
1) Good size and physically intimidating
2) Good speed and skating for a big guy
3) Capable of making huge hits
4) Good awareness/ vision offensively and defensively
5) Skillful pass and shot
6) Keeps Kassian more active and responsible during his time on ice

Though far from reality, but with the talent and size he has, I could seem him as a puck-moving, bone crushing defender.

What do you guys/ girls think?

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
All the points you mentioned are why Kassian is going to be a good forward.

Pseudonymous*

hes progressing just fine. no reason to change anything. except maybe give him better linemates and live with a few of his mistakes while hes growing.

but they are giving him 2nd unit PP time, thats good.

he'll be just fine.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
No no no. KESLER would make the best defensemen for the Canucks. No more skate into the zone and shoot in shin guard/miss the net , or try to deke 3 defenders and give up possession.

Kesler has a very hard and accurate shot that could be used on the PP (Already is). Less ways to injure himself (no more reckless plays) .

Hes a RIGHT handed shot which could be played beside Edler. Kesler is already a "defensive first" player.

To me he would make an ideal defensemen.

Thoughts?

Cocoa Crisp

Mar 8, 2006
NYC
No no no. KESLER would make the best defensemen for the Canucks. No more skate into the zone and shoot in shin guard/miss the net , or try to deke 3 defenders and give up possession.

Kesler has a very hard and accurate shot that could be used on the PP (Already is). Less ways to injure himself (no more reckless plays) .

Hes a RIGHT handed shot which could be played beside Edler. Kesler is already a "defensive first" player.

Thoughts?

When he returns, Kes should be played at wing, assuming his ego can tolerate it.

Cocoa Crisp

Mar 8, 2006
NYC
who would play center Schroeder?

Yes. With kes taking the majority of the face offs. Throwing him into the deep end and hoping he figures things out while everyone else is in mid-season form didn't work out so well. Phase him in slowly by lightening his defensive load while still playing Ina top6 capacity. That's what I'd do at least.

canuck4life16

It what it is-mccann
May 29, 2008
Vancity
Yes. With kes taking the majority of the face offs. Throwing him into the deep end and hoping he figures things out while everyone else is in mid-season form didn't work out so well. Phase him in slowly by lightening his defensive load while still playing Ina top6 capacity. That's what I'd do at least.

and maybe Kassasin on the other wing but we would have no third line center

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華

Thoughts?

Horrible idea. Every shift he would try to pull a Bobby Orr and moments later he'd be on his ass watching a 2-on-1 going the other way.

kmad

riot survivor
Jun 16, 2003
Vancouver
4) Good awareness/ vision offensively and defensively

Since we're just making things up, why not try using that expert glove hand and put him in goal for a few games?

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010

Thoughts?

No. Kesler would just revert back to being a forward because that's all he's played. You're going to be hard-pressed to find a forward that hasn't played defense before, just change and play it well. Kesler would be like Mike Green, but worse.

TheBleedingEdge

Feb 13, 2012
Kassian is a second line power forward, he just needs to get those minutes to develop. He has a good skillset but needs skilled players on his line.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad