Zack Kassian as a Defenseman

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
He could have been a defenseman yup.....but since he's not it's almost impossible to switch positions like that. i think defensemen could make the transition to forward but going from forward to defense would be way too difficult at this level of hockey.

Cocoa Crisp

Mar 8, 2006
NYC
No. Kesler would just revert back to being a forward because that's all he's played. You're going to be hard-pressed to find a forward that hasn't played defense before, just change and play it well. Kesler would be like Mike Green, but worse.

The only instance i can think of was a brief stint with Federov on D with the Wings. They returned him to forward pretty soon afterwards, and we're talking about one of the best natural skaters of his era.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Who else can we change while we're at it?

We have a Genie running this proposed 'switch' right? That the only way it makes sense. So we'd might as well swap another two players with our '3 wishes'.

I'm stoked!!!

wunderpanda

Apr 9, 2012
Who else can we change while we're at it?

We have a Genie running this proposed 'switch' right? That the only way it makes sense. So we'd might as well swap another two players with our '3 wishes'.

I'm stoked!!!

Lou to centre ? :sarcasm:

Alflives*

He couldn't skate backwards to save his life and his pivots suck from everything I've seen.

You're being sarcastic I hope. Kassian is a fabulous skater. In fact, his skating technique was developed under the instruction of a figure skating coach. Consequently, he turns both ways extremely well, and would have very strong backward skating technique. If you watch his technique closely, you can see he uses his edges properly to turn, pivot and cross-over. His playing defense is an interesting question, and reflects a poster seeing a need on the current Canuck's D core - the need for a big, tough and talented right handed shot. Kassian is most likely not that player, but to suggest his skating limits him, is completley incorrect.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
You're being sarcastic I hope. Kassian is a fabulous skater. In fact, his skating technique was developed under the instruction of a figure skating coach. Consequently, he turns both ways extremely well, and would have very strong backward skating technique. If you watch his technique closely, you can see he uses his edges properly to turn, pivot and cross-over. His playing defense is an interesting question, and reflects a poster seeing a need on the current Canuck's D core - the need for a big, tough and talented right handed shot. Kassian is most likely not that player, but to suggest his skating limits him, is completley incorrect.

Skating forward his technique is good. Backwards? Leaves a lot to be desired and I'll stand by that. It's not really that surprising, forwards have to go out of their way to practice and nothing can replace thousands of hours of actual practice and use in game situations since a young age.

Even so, you're greatly overstating how good of a skater he is technically. Fabulous is a term reserved for guys like Cam Fowler. Among forwards, a guy like Jeff Skinner has impeccable technique.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Skating forward his technique is good. Backwards? Leaves a lot to be desired and I'll stand by that. It's not really that surprising, forwards have to go out of their way to practice and nothing can replace thousands of hours of actual practice and use in game situations since a young age.

Even so, you're greatly overstating how good of a skater he is technically. Fabulous is a term reserved for guys like Cam Fowler. Among forwards, a guy like Jeff Skinner has impeccable technique.

Yeah. Kassian gets around pretty well for a big man, but he's far from a 'fabulous' skater.

Alflives*

Kassian is absolutely a fabulous skater. Let me explain: He 'sits' on his skates allowing his lower body to be used to its maximum. Plus, his stride is enhanced by using both edges of his skates. Consequently, when he does cross-overs his power is enhanced. Also, considering the turn from forward skating to backward skating comes from the cross-over, his turns are excellent. Further to this, backward skating speed comes from a combination of 'sitting' down on one's skates, and an S shaped carve with the inside edge of the skates. Kassian would absolutely do these all very well.

To the trained observer, Kassian is technically a fabulous skater. It looks more to me like any issue with him comes from a lack of core strength and overall fitness. As he tires his technique falters, and he stands too erect. This is a function of fitness though, not technique.

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
Kassian isn't very quick. He loses short distance races all game long, he looks awkward at standstill and slower speeds. Not a good fit at defense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad