Prospect Info: Zachary Fucale

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfm133

Nov 6, 2015
Why is he the odd man out?
Because Fucale is 2 years younger than Lingren and MB wants a veteran to guide Lindgren. He hired Danis after losing Condon. The plan never was to have both young goalies in the AHL.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
It's kind of weird that no matter how bad Fucale is he always seems able to win that final game. Another freaking championship for the kid. He's built quite the portfolio of them.

He needs to get his game together and show some consistency. I think he can make it in the NHL, but he needs another 2 full years in the minors before getting a back-up job. He may even wind up in Europe for awhile before coming back over at 27-28. Just seems like a guy who really needs to mature to be good.

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
What is frustrating reading you is the fact that you disregard important facts in order to help your opinion look better. Fucale will be 23 not next year, only the year after that. How can you compare Lindgren at 23 with what Fucale did last year at 20 in the AHL? Similar to not taking into account that McNiven failed to make the junior national team while at the same age Fucale won the gold at this tournament, and OHL is a much weaker league than AHL. It's not all about watching games, sorry. Some basic facts need to guide the analysis.

Definitely tend to agree.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
Still him and the De La Rose picks were such wastes of good second round picks. It was so obvious at the time. They drafted these guys because at the time we needed a goalie in the system and MB wanted to drafted for size.

ALWAYS LET TIMMINS TAKE THE BEST PLAYER AVAILABLE. PERIOD.

CTHabsfan

Jul 28, 2007
Still him and the De La Rose picks were such wastes of good second round picks. It was so obvious at the time. They drafted these guys because at the time we needed a goalie in the system and MB wanted to drafted for size.

If it "was so obvious at the time" that Fucale and De La Rose "were such wastes of good second round picks", why were the Canadiens given such high marks for that draft? As I recall, many experts had Fucale being taken in the 1st round as the first goaltender to be drafted, and De La Rose was picked right around his projected spot.

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax

If you look back both DLR and Fucale went about where they were projected to go.

jfm133

Nov 6, 2015

Ho Yeah! There was so many great players after DeLaRose and Fucale, strangely we got one of the best in Lekhonen. Pure bashing here. There is still a long way to go to judge these two picks, but for me they still look good. The big mistake that year was Crisp over Duclair.

Draft

Jan 23, 2013
Who else should the Habs have taken then? If Fucale becomes an NHL goalie, that's a very solid second round.

Liked what I saw at Spengler. Goalies always take time.

jfm133

Nov 6, 2015
If you look back both DLR and Fucale went about where they were projected to go.

They went where they were projected and are still in line to become what they were projected. Good third line player with size for DeLaRose and NHL goalie for Fucale.

jfm133

Nov 6, 2015
We often here about teams from the west with size (Kings, Sharks, Wild), sorry, but McCarron, DeLaRose and Crisp were chosen that year because MB wanted more size and I think it was a good idea. Crisp was just a poor pick. Probably the Ontario scout cheered a lot for him.

Jul 6, 2016
Great confidence booster for Fucale.... But I still don't like his style. Always on his knees or belly.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
What is frustrating reading you is the fact that you disregard important facts in order to help your opinion look better. Fucale will be 23 not next year, only the year after that. How can you compare Lindgren at 23 with what Fucale did last year at 20 in the AHL? Similar to not taking into account that McNiven failed to make the junior national team while at the same age Fucale won the gold at this tournament, and OHL is a much weaker league than AHL. It's not all about watching games, sorry. Some basic facts need to guide the analysis.

The Habs went out and got Lindgren after watching Fucale struggle in the AHL at 20. He lost his job to an undrafted FA, that was my point not to compare but you seem to think so highly of Fucale because he was a 2nd round pick and played for Team Canada. What good did being a 2nd round pick and winning gold do for him at the AHL level? Yes Lindgren just turned 23, but he's playing miles better then Fucale and with a worse defense in front of him. Just because someone is drafted in the 2nd and played for Team Canada, doesn't mean they won't lose their job to an undrafted player. Some take longer to develop, McNiven in hindsight should have been drafted, from what I read he did enough to earn the backup job to Hart who is likely the best goalie in the CHL. McNiven had an up hill battle to make Team Canada considering he never played for them at any point. As I keep saying we just need to see what happens but for me I wouldn't be surprised if McNiven beats out Fucale for the starters job because I like what I've seen from him more. For the life of me I don't see why that's so upsetting.

SquiddFX

#Seanski
Dec 16, 2013
Montreal
We often here about teams from the west with size (Kings, Sharks, Wild), sorry, but McCarron, DeLaRose and Crisp were chosen that year because MB wanted more size and I think it was a good idea. Crisp was just a poor pick. Probably the Ontario scout cheered a lot for him.

I might be misremembering but I think Crisp was playing with Connor McDavid in Erie during Crisp's last season there.

jfm133

Nov 6, 2015
The Habs went out and got Lindgren after watching Fucale struggle in the AHL at 20.

Happy to learn you were part of the meetings of Habs mamagement to know that.

From the outside I tought it was a move based on good scouting and opportunity. I tought NHL teams never turn away from what they think is a good prospect. There was a gap in the goalie depth from Condon (26) and Fucale (21), Lindgren fits right in between, and now Condon is out.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Happy to learn you were part of the meetings of Habs mamagement to know that.

From the outside I tought it was a move based on good scouting and opportunity. I tought NHL teams never turn away from what they think is a good prospect. There was a gap in the goalie depth from Condon (26) and Fucale (21), Lindgren fits right in between, and now Condon is out.

well clearly they watched Fucale struggle since he did and they went out and got Lindgren. So not much of a leap there imo. Do you think that if Fucale had a great season they would have signed Lindgren? It would seem likely they thought Condon would have cleared waivers and if not for bad timing I think they would have been right.

Or do you think the Habs felt after playing a year in the AHL, going to the ECHL would be better for Fucale's development?

Habnot

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
well clearly they watched Fucale struggle since he did and they went out and got Lindgren. So not much of a leap there imo. Do you think that if Fucale had a great season they would have signed Lindgren? It would seem likely they thought Condon would have cleared waivers and if not for bad timing I think they would have been right.

Or do you think the Habs felt after playing a year in the AHL, going to the ECHL would be better for Fucale's development?

I tend to think they are completely unrelated. I highly doubt that these type of signings are reactionary. Takes too much time to build a book and to follow prospects. Signing a player is typically the last step in a very long process of following the progress of a player.

As for Fucale, maybe they thought they needed a more mature prospects in dealing with the quality of the IceDogs. Clearly they were right in both cases. Lindgren is shinning and unexpectedly has the IceDogs in a playoff position. Fucale went back - dominated and played very well at Spengler Cup. That being said, Fucale might still have the higher ceiling when he matures in 5-6 years.

It's all about organizational depth.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I tend to think they are completely unrelated. I highly doubt that these type of signings are reactionary. Takes too much time to build a book and to follow prospects. Signing a player is typically the last step in a very long process of following the progress of a player.

As for Fucale, maybe they thought they needed a more mature prospects in dealing with the quality of the IceDogs. Clearly they were right in both cases. Lindgren is shinning and unexpectedly has the IceDogs in a playoff position. Fucale went back - dominated and played very well at Spengler Cup. That being said, Fucale might still have the higher ceiling when he matures in 5-6 years.

It's all about organizational depth.

If you have a top prospect, imo there's no way that they wouldn't consider the impact on said prospects development in terms of ice time at the AHL level by bringing an undrafted FA prospect. Now granted they could have opted to go with a Lindgren/Fucale duo but one would be a rookie and the other a 2nd year play. The problem would be more about if Price gets injured as one of them would have to backup Montoya. That said, I got to think that management took into consideration that this would be a setback for Fucale's development after spending a year in the AHL to go the ECHL.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/nhl2013e.html

Show me who in this 2nd round is honestly standing out?

you'll also notice Lehkonen has the most goals out of ANYone in that 2nd round as well

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/nhl2013e.html

Show me who in this 2nd round is honestly standing out?

you'll also notice Lehkonen has the most goals out of ANYone in that 2nd round as well

And guess who has the second most goals in that second round class? De La Rose. Not to mention he's played the most NHL games in that 2nd round.

I remember watching this draft live and loving the selections of McCarron and De La Rose, simply because of their size. I even recall them playing together on the same line last year and watching those two big bodies on the forecheck was a rare sight as Habs fan.

Crisp might be a bad pick. But this draft also yielded Andrighetto and Reway, who if his unfortunate health situation didn't occur, we'd be watching in St. John's or in Montreal this year.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
And guess who has the second most goals in that second round class? De La Rose. Not to mention he's played the most NHL games in that 2nd round.

I remember watching this draft live and loving the selections of McCarron and De La Rose, simply because of their size. I even recall them playing together on the same line last year and watching those two big bodies on the forecheck was a rare sight as Habs fan.

Crisp might be a bad pick. But this draft also yielded Andrighetto and Reway, who if his unfortunate health situation didn't occur, we'd be watching in St. John's or in Montreal this year.

And still got a decent goaltender out of it all

2013 was a fine draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad