Value of: Zach Werenski (hypothetically!)

Apr 9, 2009
USA
Are you honestly saying Demoulin beats out Rielly as a 1D overall? Seriously? Offense from the blue-line counts as well. You are fighting an uphill battle if you claim that defence riddle by injuries filled with AHL level plug-ins is better than Toronto’s current roster.

He didn't say that. He said Dumoulin made plays during that run that no Toronto blueliner could make. He also wasn't talking about anyone other than Dumoulin, and was talking about defense. You're responding like he said Dumo would be the Leafs #1, would lead the D in goals and that the rest of the defense was better than Toronto's currently. He didn't say any of that. :laugh:

I don't even necessarily agree with the guy for what it's worth. Dumo was awesome though.

Reactions: Snowman

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
He didn't say that. He said Dumoulin made plays during that run that no Toronto blueliner could make. He also wasn't talking about anyone other than Dumoulin, and was talking about defense. You're responding like he said Dumo would be the Leafs #1, would lead the D in goals and that the rest of the defense was better than Toronto's currently. He didn't say any of that. :laugh:

I don't even necessarily agree with the guy for what it's worth. Dumo was awesome though.
For the record I would take a full strength Pittsburgh blue-line from that Cup run over Toronto’s current corps, but with the sheer injuries to the Pens and the AHL plug-ins they had to put in, I think any claim that that defence corps Pittsburgh iced is better than the Leafs current one (which is his initial claim in a previous post when you look at how he responds to my comment about how an all-star blue-line isn’t necessarily an absolute requirement when winning a cup citing that Pittsburgh team as an example that the Leafs could potentially follow) is ludicrous. Indeed, Pittsburgh pulling that off was a no small miracle and was down to a good team commitment to team defense, an incredible forward corps and two generational centres.

To further the point, in both of those Cup runs I would argue the Pens were outmatched in the Finals on the blue-line by their opponents, but they managed to win regardless because they were strong in other areas. Frankly, when was the last “perfect” roster to win a Cup anyways? That just doesn’t happen in a hard-cap NHL; every team has weakspots, and the idea that a hreat blue-line automatically trumps a great forward corps in a seven game series just isn’t backed up by the evidence or else Nashville and San Jose would have been champions.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Where did I ever say Matthews was “generational bad ass” or anything along that line? Please go ahead and try to quote any such statement from my previous posts that is like that.
Don't need a prior post; I can just use this one:

My claim was that Matthews is a substantially more valuble player than Jones
Seth Jones is a young Norris-contending superstar blueliner on one of the better value contracts in the League. He's in conversations alongside guys like Drew Doughty and Victor Hedman. There is astonishingly little room for "substantially better" than that which stops short of "generational".

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton

Seth Jones is a young Norris-contending superstar blueliner on one of the better value contracts in the League. He's in conversations alongside guys like Drew Doughty and Victor Hedman. There is astonishingly little room for "substantially better" than that which stops short of "generational".

that moment you have to take a double take at the screen. Matthews is one of the best young centers, but I'd take Jones over him for a plethora of reasons(young RHD norris dman on a sweetheart contract and great skater, which I have a weakness for)

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017

So you admit you cannot actually find any of the ridiculous hyperoblic statements you attribute to me? Good to see. In the future it is always preferable to have my actual comments challenged rather than have a cartooish strawman of my arguments constructed.
Right now Matthews is head and shoulders ahead in the competition for number 2 player of the coming generation, which is again a comment that is supported by player polls (ranked number 3 in the NHL behind McDavid and Crosby), and the main ranking lists that have him top-10 across all positions (10 on NHL.com, 8 on TSN), where Jones is usually ranked around 30th (32nd on NHL.com, right behind Tarasenko, 30th on NHL.com behind Pastrnak). That is no insignificant gap, and it appears to be very consistent across player valuations from multiple sources. Jones is great, yes but there is an undeniable difference is value and yes it is substantial, so to circle back to the original point a 1-to-1 trade of Matthews for Jones would not have anything near equal value going either way, and this is backed up by the position of NHL players (NHL.com player poll), coaches GMs (ESPN.com) and Sports Anaysts (TSN top 50, NHL.com top 200).

Btw, I notice you continue to ignore the key point in all my comments which is a request for a source of actual head-to-head comparison between Jones and Matthews that favours Jones, because literally every single ranking actoss position that I have seen has Matthews substantially ahead of Jones, regardless on whether the data is generated by analysts, NHL executives or players themselves.

If you do respond to this comment please include at least one reputable source ranking Jones above Matthews that we can discuss because otherwise there really is no point contiuing this debate because it isn’t a debate; it is me citing a mountain of evidence and you just ignoring it and repeating restating your unsubstantiated personal opinion.

GoJackets1

Someday.
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
I wonder how much player rankings are impacted by market size or media? :badidea:

That being said, I wouldn't trade Jones for Matthews and I wouldn't trade Matthews for Jones. Although I'd probably be more likely to do the trade from a Leafs perspective solely based on the fact that I value a franchise D higher than a franchise C. But I still wouldn't do the trade.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
So you admit you cannot actually find any of the ridiculous hyperoblic statements you attribute to me? Good to see. In the future it is always preferable to have my actual comments challenged rather than have a cartooish strawman of my arguments constructed.
Your logical fallacy is tu quoque

My core point was that you do not have the data to support a "Matthews is substantially better" supposition because all you have are "well, these players mentioned a forward first". You are ignoring documented bias towards forwards in such evaluations in favor of repeating the same evidence with the same flaws over and over again as though this constitutes some sort of magic anti-criticism talisman.

I don't care how many "player's polls" you post. Give actual evidence - evidence that shows that Matthews truly is so superior to Jones that the debate should otherwise be closed - and I'll concede the point. As it is, you're trying to browbeat me with Texas Sharpshooter nonsense.

Btw, I notice you continue to ignore the key point in all my comments which is a request for a source of actual head-to-head comparison between Jones and Matthews that favours Jones
Because it is not relevant. It has never been relevant. It is impossible for it to be relevant. There is no relevance there. It cannot be. There is no data with which you can make your assumption. You are drawing sweeping conclusions based on fairyfloss and popularity contests. I am not in the business of throwing more nonsense into the slushpile to attempt to counter your own nonsense. The proper way to deal with nonsense is to not use it.

If you do respond to this comment please include at least one reputable source ranking Jones above Matthews that we can discuss because otherwise there really is no point contiuing this debate because it isn’t a debate; it is me citing a mountain of evidence and you just ignoring it and repeating restating your unsubstantiated personal opinion.
Your logical fallacy is black or white

The debate isn't "Matthews better than Jones" or "Jones better than Matthews". You're trying to argue that Matthews is substantially better than Jones. My counterpoint isn't "nuh-uh", it's "you don't have the data to reach that conclusion." This is not a counterpoint that is intended to follow up with "therefore Jones is better because GO JACKETS", it is the exclusive point I have to offer. I do not know whether Matthews is better than Jones. The point is that YOU DO NOT EITHER, AND YOU ARE CLAIMING OTHERWISE BASED ON POORLY SELECTED "EVIDENCE" THAT DOES NOT SUBSTANTIATE YOUR CLAIMS.

Reactions: Snowman

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
Right now Matthews is head and shoulders ahead in the competition for number 2 player of the coming generation, which is again a comment that is supported by player polls (ranked number 3 in the NHL behind McDavid and Crosby), and the main ranking lists that have him top-10 across all positions (10 on NHL.com, 8 on TSN), where Jones is usually ranked around 30th (32nd on NHL.com, right behind Tarasenko, 30th on NHL.com behind Pastrnak). That is no insignificant gap, and it appears to be very consistent across player valuations from multiple sources. Jones is great, yes but there is an undeniable difference is value and yes it is substantial, so to circle back to the original point a 1-to-1 trade of Matthews for Jones would not have anything near equal value going either way, and this is backed up by the position of NHL players (NHL.com player poll), coaches GMs (ESPN.com) and Sports Anaysts (TSN top 50, NHL.com top 200).

Btw, I notice you continue to ignore the key point in all my comments which is a request for a source of actual head-to-head comparison between Jones and Matthews that favours Jones, because literally every single ranking actoss position that I have seen has Matthews substantially ahead of Jones, regardless on whether the data is generated by analysts, NHL executives or players themselves.

You're not very good at listening to what other people are saying and you are focusing on only what you want. Multiple times people have tried to explain the other side and because they wont give you a very specific answer you dont accept that.

Go look at your lists and find a guy Jones age or younger thats a RHD thats better. Mathews is behind McDavid position wise... Jones is the best at what he does the same as McDavid is. Value is there. D NEVER gets rated as high as D. Wings get rated higher but what happens when people talk trade? No I wont trade a 1D for a wing you can always find a wing. So obviously those super amazing lists arent very relevant.

So what is relevant? Jones was #4 in norris voting. The only D award. Mathews isnt there yet. But I wouldnt say he is levels below Jones. If you dont like seeing facts go look at more opinion polls.

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
My core point was that you do not have the data to support a "Matthews is substantially better"
Of course I do, I cited half a dozen studies from data generated by NHL players, coaches, GMs and sports analysts at major networks. You cited exactly zero data... of any kind, aside from Norris votes... which forwards are ineligible for so there can't be any head-to-head comparison. I suppose if you want to look at trophies they could both compete for, Matthews has been 11th for the Hart (Jones hasn't ranked), won the Calder (Jones hasn't) and come second for the Rocket Richard (which admittedly is pretty impossible for any defenseman to win from a praictical standpoint, so would be of little use in comparisons).
[You are ignoring documented bias towards forwards in such evaluations in favor of repeating the same evidence with the same flaws over and over again as though this constitutes some sort of magic anti-criticism talisman.

Because it is not relevant. It has never been relevant. It is impossible for it to be relevant. There is no relevance there. It cannot be. There is no data with which you can make your assumption. You are drawing sweeping conclusions based on fairyfloss and popularity contests. I am not in the business of throwing more nonsense into the slushpile to attempt to counter your own nonsense. The proper way to deal with nonsense is to not use it.
So the collected opinions of players, GMs, coaches and hockey analysts from across the hockey world are "fairyfloss" and they are all "biased" yet you somehow are not? Well, I don't think there is any argument to be made there. I will let your statements on that stand for themselves, although I would also recommend double checking at where the top blue-liners like Eric Karlsson sit on that list. Just you against the hockey world.
You know what I see here? A lot of impassioned, semi-coherent writing that all boils down to "this is my personal opinion and it is right because I say so, even if it goes against the collective opinion of hockey players, coaches, executives, and analysts." That is your choice, but unfortunately it is something that is by its nature, impossible to debate. At the very least you should recognize that since your opinion is such an extreme minority position among every actual hockey group, you cannot expect that real-world trades will be constructed in line with your opinion. Going back to blunt truth is that Jones would never fetch Matthews 1-for-1 in any sort of trade because literally every group that matters rates Matthews as substantially more valuable. This data is consistent and is independent of your personal opinion, which has no bearing on this equation unless you somehow manage to become GM of the Jackets.

I don't care how many "player's polls" you post. Give actual evidence - evidence that shows that Matthews truly is so superior to Jones that the debate should otherwise be closed - and I'll concede the point.
Sure, we can look at the GM and coach polls I cited as well, as well as the sports analyst opinions. We can also go over how both Matthews and Jones have performed in awards they are both eligible for like the Hart. The player polls are only one part of the evidence. Requesting you provide any sort of evidence supporting your claim that we can discuss is not "browbeating you" it is merely asking for the bare minimum for an intelligent debate. If you are unable to find said evidence, then I agree, there is no debate to be had.

Your logical fallacy is black or white

The debate isn't "Matthews better than Jones" or "Jones better than Matthews". You're trying to argue that Matthews is substantially better than Jones. My counterpoint isn't "nuh-uh", it's "you don't have the data to reach that conclusion." This is not a counterpoint that is intended to follow up with "therefore Jones is better because GO JACKETS", it is the exclusive point I have to offer. I do not know whether Matthews is better than Jones. The point is that YOU DO NOT EITHER, AND YOU ARE CLAIMING OTHERWISE BASED ON POORLY SELECTED "EVIDENCE" THAT DOES NOT SUBSTANTIATE YOUR CLAIMS.

We just went through every major source that compares defensemen and forwards in one pool. They all said the same thing. If you want to compare how both players have faired when competing for awards they are eligible for we can do that as well. Matthews still comes out ahead.
Do you really think that repeating yourself in all caps and bold somehow makes your claim any stronger? For someone so eager to (wrongly) cite others for logical fallacies, you seem to be committing more than a few of your own (strawman would be the other big one you are fond of). For example, you initially made the claim, Jones has a similar value to Matthews, and now you seem to be saying the burden of proof is on my as an excuse to not provide any evidence to support your own claim (while simply dismissing all my own evidence). If you want to walk that back and just the "degree" of difference, well then sure, I don't mind letting you shift the goalposts in this situation. If you want to completely turn around and say "you don't know", well then, I present to you a mountain of evidence that says Matthews is valued more highly than Jones and exactly zero sources that say the inverse. If you don't want to modify your views based on the data, that is your decision, just don't be surprised when the actual movers and shakers of the hockey world do not base their decisions on a similarly skewed valuation.

You seem to be fond of that "logical fallacy" website. May I suggest you look over these ones:

Your logical fallacy is burden of proof
Your logical fallacy is strawman
Your logical fallacy is appeal to emotion
Your logical fallacy is special pleading

Last edited:

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Of course I do, I cited half a dozen studies from data generated by NHL players, coaches, GMs and sports analysts at major networks.
Popularity polls are not "studies".

So the collected opinions of players, GMs, coaches and hockey analysts from across the hockey world are "fairyfloss" and they are all "biased" yet you somehow are not?
twitch.gif

aargh4.gif

slap.gif

Quit being so ****ing obtuse. My contention is not that they're wrong, my contention is that you cannot draw such a sweeping conclusion from that data because it is insufficiently precise and insufficiently robust.

You know what I see here? A lot of impassioned, semi-coherent writing that all boils down to "this is my personal opinion and it is right because I say so, even if it goes against the collective opinion of hockey players, coaches, executives, and analysts."
no, my point is that those opinions are not sufficiently lucid and/or explicit to support YOUR opinion that there is a wide gulf between the players. I'm not debating that they have Matthews ahead of Jones. That's obvious. That's been obvious from the start. It's the magnitude that you keep asserting - that Matthews is a class ahead - that is unverifiable. That is it. Stop trying to strawman my counterpoint as though it proves anything.

Sure, we can look at the GM and coach polls I cited as well, as well as the sports analyst opinions. We can also go over how both Matthews and Jones have performed in awards they are both eligible for like the Hart. The player polls are only one part of the evidence. Requesting you provide any sort of evidence supporting your claim that we can discuss is not "browbeating you" it is merely asking for the bare minimum for an intelligent debate. If you are unable to find said evidence, then I agree, there is no debate to be had.
Again. Your "evidence" is not evidence of your claim of substantial difference.

You can justify a difference, and I have not contested that there's a difference (indeed, to do otherwise would be utterly absurd). You cannot justify the magnitude. Not a single one of your pundits has said "Matthews is substantially better than Jones", or anything even like that. What, you say, that's not something folks often do? EXACTLY. WE DON'T HAVE THAT INFORMATION. That doesn't mean you cherry-pick from what little you have and draw sweeping conclusions based on it - that means you recognize your lack of evidence and don't draw those kind of conclusions and then act like you know what you're talking about when someone calls you out on your lack of basis.

Now, if you want to have a debate based on your own observations, that can be done. But you seem to be trying to Appeal To Authority your way into legitimacy with ranked lists that give no indication as to the difference between the ranked. You can't just count "number of places in the list", because they're unequal.

Here's a helpful illustrative example: let's assume the existence of some kind of Hypothetical Player Value Rating where Connor McDavid == 100 and someone like, I dunno, the ghost of Chris Kunitz is 1 or something. Let's say Matthews is #8 on the list of rankings at 98.95, and Jones is #32 on the list of rankings at 97.24. There would be, legitimately, 24 players in between them with rankings between 98.95 and 97.24. But those two numbers are still very close, so you could legitimately say that they're similar in value (and probably also similar to those other 24 players), or at least that a debate could be had based on how that Hypothetical Player Value Rating is calculated (maybe it overly favors forwards and thus unduly benefits Matthews, or maybe it really likes individual trophy votes and so is biased in Jones' favor, or G-d only knows what else). You cannot tell this from a simple ordered list. Therefore those lists are not able to adequately determine such differences of magnitude. You can do it in an extremely broad fashion - one can reasonably safely conclude, for example, that Matthews is a substantially better player than, say, Ryan Strome, and there's also going to be a substantial rank order difference there - but there's nothing precise enough to draw definite conclusions when they start getting closer. So we're going to have to go by our own observations. Thus, a debate.

(And that's before we even get into the idea that "player value" is a fiction to begin with, since players are not fungible assets...)

EDIT: Bonus illustrative example. Let's say that, with that same Hypothetical Player Value Rating, Matthews is #8 at 98.95 and Jones is #9 at 82.43. That's a really big difference. But they're right next to eachother in the ranked list. How can we tell that there's a big gulf in "rating" there, using only the ranking order? We can't. You. Can't. Tell.

You want to suggest Matthews is much better? Feel free. That's your prerogative. But your claims of objective truth are not substantiated. They're not, no matter how many popularity rankings you come up with. And asking for other popularity rankings does not constitute useful countering evidence. Your basis is fundamentally flawed.

We just went through every major source that compares defensemen and forwards in one pool. They all said the same thing.
No. No they did not. They all put Matthews ahead, but none of them gave a useful magnitude; they all suffer from the issue described above. My contention is that you are making an unverifiable claim about the MAGNITUDE of the difference. The countercontention is that, without that information, we cannot decide if the difference visible from what little data we have is within the margin of error or not. You are asserting it absolutely is outside the margin of error without data that explicitly verifies this, and claiming outside validation for same. This is wrong.

For someone so eager to (wrongly) cite others for logical fallacies, you seem to be committing more than a few of your own (strawman would be the other big one you are fond of). For example, you made the claim, Jones has a similar value to Matthews
No. No I did not. That is my gut feeling, but it is not the claim I am making, nor is it ever the claim I have made. I started out saying that there's a debate to be had between who's better and I have never wavered from that. You're the one jumping to conclusions and assuming that means "therefore, they're the same value". For someone who's so willing to be sanctimonious about "actual words" being used, you seem perfectly happy to turn it on me.

If you want to walk that back and just the "degree" of difference, well then sure, I don't mind letting you shift the goalposts in this situation.
Did you read a single word I said? That's the only point I've ever been making. It's not a "shift" if that's where I've been the whole time. Just because you weren't previously willing to read doesn't mean I'm changing my argument.

You seem to be fond of that "logical fallacy" website. May I suggest you look over these ones:

Your logical fallacy is burden of proof
Inapplicable; my claim is based on pointing out the absence of evidence, and so repeated attempts to say "You have no evidence" doesn't help. No, there isn't such evidence. That's exactly my point.

Inapplicable. Your argument has been "Matthews is substantially better than Jones". My counterargument isn't an attempt to suggest that it's other than that; my counterargument is that you have presented no data supporting the "substantially" part of that claim.

:eyeroll: Now you're just making shit up.

Again, my counterpoint has never changed.

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
Popularity polls are not "studies".

twitch.gif

aargh4.gif

slap.gif
Comparing a series of player polls, coaching and GM polls and sports-writer rankings to a "popularity contest" is a ridiculous statement and you know it. Auston Matthews is not rated where he is by other NHL players because they "like" him. He doesn't beat out Jones on every single list I have seen from all three of these groups because "aw shucks' he is just such a better guy", it is because he is seen as the more valuble player by a consensus of players, GMs coaches and hockey analysts... you know the people whose opinions on this actually matter in the real world.
Indeed, for someone who derides expert polls as "popularity contests" I find it strange that you would make a post like this:
...so HF polls matter but hockey expert polls don't. Gotcha.
Funny how your opinion on the value of expert poles and rankings seems to fluctuate when they affirm your own beliefs.

Quit being so ****ing obtuse. My contention is not that they're wrong, my contention is that you cannot draw such a sweeping conclusion from that data because it is insufficiently precise and insufficiently robust.
Ah, cursing someone out, the mark of a truly skilled debater. Go back to my original comment you will see this:
Jones wouldn’t fetch Matthews and Werenski isn’t going to fetch Marner, at least not without a susbstantial add, the values are just too far off in favour of the Jackets.

When the consensus of coaches, players, GMs and sportswriters all agree that Matthews is more valuble then Jones then yes, that statement is accurate. You may not believe this, but you are not one of the people who has an impact on how NHL players are valued, and the blunt truth is that Matthews is indeed seen as a more valuble player than Jones is by every group of professionals that matters and there is reliable evidence from multiple sources to back this up and by your own admission, no counter-evidence.

no, my point is that those opinions are not sufficiently lucid and/or explicit to support YOUR opinion that there is a wide gulf between the players. I'm not debating that they have Matthews ahead of Jones. That's obvious. That's been obvious from the start. It's the magnitude that you keep asserting - that Matthews is a class ahead - that is unverifiable. That is it. Stop trying to strawman my counterpoint as though it proves anything.

Again. Your "evidence" is not evidence of your claim of substantial difference.
Why wouldn't they be "lucid"? What do you think all the NHL players coaches GMs and sportswriters were drunk when they wrote those articles and filled out those polls? As to explicit, well they explicitly rank Matthews ahead of Jones, in building a franchise around (#3 to unranked), best player write now (#8, #10 vs #30 and 32, a difference of 21 places... which is hard to argue is not "substantial) and in best player in the future (6 votes vs 1). All these results gathered from all these groups favor Matthews over Jones and not by small margins. You can argue all these people with a huge amount of real-world experience are wrong in their views and you are right, but you cannot argue that the bulk of the educated hockey world has a different view then you do.
Now, if you want to have a debate based on your own observations, that can be done. But you seem to be trying to Appeal To Authority your way into legitimacy with ranked lists that give no indication as to the difference between the ranked. You can't just count "number of places in the list", because they're unequal.
Nope, just an appeal to evidence to back up my original statement: That any 1-for1 Matthews for Jones would be impossible because Matthews is substantially more valuble then Jones. This is backed up by virtually every source of people who could possibly have an impact on player valuations reaching the same consensus. You can argue with me as much as you want, but you can't change the facts on the ground.
Here's a helpful illustrative example: let's assume the existence of some kind of Hypothetical Player Value Rating where Connor McDavid == 100 and someone like, I dunno, the ghost of Chris Kunitz is 1 or something. Let's say Matthews is #8 on the list of rankings at 98.95, and Jones is #32 on the list of rankings at 97.24. There would be, legitimately, 24 players in between them with rankings between 98.95 and 97.24. But those two numbers are still very close, so you could legitimately say that they're similar in value (and probably also similar to those other 24 players), or at least that a debate could be had based on how that Hypothetical Player Value Rating is calculated (maybe it overly favors forwards and thus unduly benefits Matthews, or maybe it really likes individual trophy votes and so is biased in Jones' favor, or G-d only knows what else). You cannot tell this from a simple ordered list. Therefore those lists are not able to adequately determine such differences of magnitude. You can do it in an extremely broad fashion - one can reasonably safely conclude, for example, that Matthews is a substantially better player than, say, Ryan Strome, and there's also going to be a substantial rank order difference there - but there's nothing precise enough to draw definite conclusions when they start getting closer. So we're going to have to go by our own observations. Thus, a debate.

(And that's before we even get into the idea that "player value" is a fiction to begin with, since players are not fungible assets...)

EDIT: Bonus illustrative example. Let's say that, with that same Hypothetical Player Value Rating, Matthews is #8 at 98.95 and Jones is #9 at 82.43. That's a really big difference. But they're right next to eachother in the ranked list. How can we tell that there's a big gulf in "rating" there, using only the ranking order? We can't. You. Can't. Tell.
If Matthews and Jones were back to back on all these lists and it was just Matthews coming out ahead by one or two spots every time then you might have a point. The glaring issue with your statement is that Matthews and Jones are not particularly close in any of these lists. It isn't like Matthews is ranked 9th and Jones is ranked 10th, it is more along the lines of 9th and 30th, heck for some of these rankings such as "who would you choose to build a franchise around" (which is probably the most direct "value" question I can think of" Jones isn't even ranked on the list. Suggesting that two players separated by a full twenty or more other guys on a valuation list are essentially "not substantially" different in value is ludicrous.
You want to suggest Matthews is much better? Feel free. That's your prerogative. But your claims of objective truth are not substantiated. They're not, no matter how many popularity rankings you come up with. And asking for other popularity rankings does not constitute useful countering evidence. Your basis is fundamentally flawed.
The original comment I made is he is significantly more valuble, which by all accounts is indeed the case, as the evidence above demonstrates (and precisely zero evidence refutes... unless you have found some in the interim?).
I would definitely argue he is better as well (which does seem to be the consensus of the hockey community as well, but unlike in terms of "value" consensus expert opinion is not the be-all and end-all here), and while it is indeed hard to compare forwards to defensemen directly, at least when looking at awards both can directly compete against each other for Matthews has more Hart votes and has a Calder trophy. If you want to concede the original debate over value, I don't mind continuing to a new debate over who is "better", and how substantial the difference is.

No. No they did not. They all put Matthews ahead, but none of them gave a useful magnitude; they all suffer from the issue described above.
The magnitude is an average of about 20 positions in the rankings. That is no small gap in valuations.
No. No I did not. That is my gut feeling, but it is not the claim I am making, nor is it ever the claim I have made. I started out saying that there's a debate to be had between who's better and I have never wavered from that. You're the one jumping to conclusions and assuming that means "therefore, they're the same value". For someone who's so willing to be sanctimonious about "actual words" being used, you seem perfectly happy to turn it on me.
You can have all the "gut feelings" you want, in terms of how either of these players are valued relative to each other, the data is clear, and it can'y be hand-waved away. There is a substantial amount of evidence that Matthews is seen as more valuable by players, GMs coaches and sportswriters then Jones is, and the gap is not particularly close; Jones is either way further down all these lists or not even ranked. Until you can provide some evidence, indeed any evidence showing this gap is narrow or nonexistent then yes, the conclusion is clear.

Inapplicable; my claim is based on pointing out the absence of evidence, and so repeated attempts to say "You have no evidence" doesn't help. No, there isn't such evidence. That's exactly my point.
Of course it is, my claim was that Matthews was significantly more valuble then Jones. You disputed this. I provided multiple reputable sources of evidence backing this claim, you have provided none. If you wish to challenge the validity of my claim

Inapplicable. Your argument has been "Matthews is substantially better than Jones". My counterargument isn't an attempt to suggest that it's other than that; my counterargument is that you have presented no data supporting the "substantially" part of that claim.
Please go back and re-read the quotes you are arguing against, apparently you need a reminder what you are actually debating against. Here I will repost the original one for you:
Jones wouldn’t fetch Matthews and Werenski isn’t going to fetch Marner, at least not without a susbstantial add, the values are just too far off in favour of the Jackets.
Repeatedly misrepresenting my statements and representing them and framing them with hyperbole; that appears to be text-book strawman.

:eyeroll: Now you're just making **** up.
The cursing, caps locked, emoji riddled responses you deploy in place of actual reasoned arguments would suggest otherwise.

Again, my counterpoint has never changed.
Weird, because somehow you went from challenging me saying Matthews was substantially more valuble then Jones and thus a 1-1 trade would be way to lopsided in favor of the Jackets to realistically be a possibility to, subsequent to me providing evidence to back this claim switching to attacking me for apparently declaring Matthews as a "Generational Badass" compared to Jones "merely a star" and changing tracks to "degree of better-ness".

You really seem to like quoting that logical fallacy website. Well, those in glass houses...

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
I see you're determined to ignore the uselessness of that evidence regardless. Go and be deluded as you will. Good day.
Yes, polls and rankings of “player value” by NHL players, GMs and coaches and analysts are useless at quantifying player value... sure.
...so HF polls matter but hockey expert polls don't. Gotcha.

Except apparently when you use them, of course. Then, obviously they matter.

If you prefer we can also compare how both players have performed in awards they have both been eligible for as well such as the Calder or the Hart. But I guess those don’t fit your narrative at this time either so they must also obviously be “useless” (although apparently Norris voting is not, which is especially weird as Matthews is not eligible to compete for a Norris in the first place).

I hope you have a nice day as well. Things tend to be quite cheery when you willfully shut your ears to anything that might challenge your misconceptions... at least until reality shatters them.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad