Value of: Zach Werenski (hypothetically!)

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
Z is quietly becoming our (CBJ) board’s whipping boy (but will never surpass Wennberg for that credential).

Has 5 goals, 11 assists, 16 points in 28 games to go along with a -7 +/.

He has a cap hit of 925k and is a RFA after this season, just 21 years old.

I get it. The Jackets are 99 percent more than likely unwilling to deal Z but hypothetically, what would you/your team offer to have the services of young, Zach Werenski?

Mr Tadakichi

Never Reads OP Before Posting
Nov 23, 2014
He's young and going through a rough patch, Even then, he would still command a good package, probably at least a good young top line or top pairing player.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
Why would Columbus have whipping boys? Really good team this year, as per the usual. They're going to be a handful yet again in the playoffs.

Seems to me that when you have Werenski and Jones, someone is going to get the lion's share of offensive opportunities and the other's numbers will suffer for it. There is a lot to playing solid defense other than point production. Harder to track metrics for it.

He's worth a ton in trade. Say, a young offensive C/LW/RW with 75+ points potential. Hypothetically, he's one of the better trade chits in the league. Everyone wants to add top-pairing defensemen with years under team control.

Obviously, he's due a big raise this summer. Even so, the CBJ would likely not be contemplating any trades, as stated in the OP.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Robert Hagg + top 15 protected 1st.

Edit: Seems the other comments were deleted (and probably rightfully so). To be clear, this was not meant as a serious offer.

Last edited:

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Robert Hagg + top 15 protected 1st.

lmao

XSdEsu0.png

Joel Ward

Sep 24, 2012
Toronto
I'd be surprised if he were made available. If the Leafs aren't able to comfortably lock up the core, perhaps a Werenski-Nylander deal could work. Especially if Panarin bolts.

I don't think either team is looking to move either player though.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
Draisaitl would be the ask. That would be a tough one to do. We can't score with him in the lineup, I can't even imagine how bad our forwards would be without him.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Why would Columbus have whipping boys? Really good team this year, as per the usual. They're going to be a handful yet again in the playoffs.

Seems to me that when you have Werenski and Jones, someone is going to get the lion's share of offensive opportunities and the other's numbers will suffer for it. There is a lot to playing solid defense other than point production. Harder to track metrics for it.

He's worth a ton in trade. Say, a young offensive C/LW/RW with 75+ points potential. Hypothetically, he's one of the better trade chits in the league. Everyone wants to add top-pairing defensemen with years under team control.

Obviously, he's due a big raise this summer. Even so, the CBJ would likely not be contemplating any trades, as stated in the OP.

He's a whipping boy in the modest sense. The team isn't bad enough for anyone to get too worked up about Werenski.

And it's not like Zach isn't producing. He's been close to last year's scoring pace. And his D game is up and down, nothing unbefitting a 21 year old. I think we'll be having occasional trade discussions more because what Zach brings (high end offensive LHD) isn't in dire need in Columbus right now. The team has 100 goals already, and both Murray and Nutivaara look like top pair quality players so far.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan

Jones > Werenski

Possibly 2, (>)'s, depending how you want to look at it. Jones is a legit Norris candidate, literally 1 of the best defenseman in the league. Werenski, while he has shown he can handle "top pairing" minutes, he has also shown that he cant handle "top pairing" minutes.

Werenski is in the top tier of defenseman in the NHL when it comes to offensive ability. Very good wrist shot/shot in general and good on the PP and on the rush. Good with the puck.

To sum it up, and keep it short, he is not that great without the puck.

Jones is 'best case scenario', IMO. They shouldn't really be compared, as of now. Werenski's number's, even with how good he is offensively, have been boosted by Jones. Weresnki is, (imo) a top tier offensively, #3 defenseman. Anywhere from 15-19 minutes. Powerplay. No penalty kill.

The CBJ should not look to trade him, but let him "run" the 2nd pair and add whatever to the powerplay with/after Jones, whether on the #2 PP or not. He doesn't need to be and (imo) shouldn't be "overworked" playing with Jones 22+ minutes a night.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Hypothetically it would need to be in a deal to return a truly elite forward who could potentially replace Panarin.

Reactions: CBJFan827

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
I would trade Taylor Hall but since both teams are in the same division, it’ll never happen.

The Jackets are in a win now mode and the Devils are still rebuilding. The Jackets are probably going to lose Panarin and Hall would be a solid replacement and as for ZW, he would fill a immediate need on our left side, that is very weak with Greene, Mueller and Butcher.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad