Value of: Zach Parise

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
I am still annoyed all these other teams are getting out of them with long-term IR and we got bent over by losing a 1st round pick in the process....ya we got one back at the end of the 1st round but christ...
It is what it is, but the team is headed in the right direction and caught a break with Kovy leaving when he did so the cap recapture penalty isn't so bad.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
I think Parise returns to 25 or so goals per year next year. He’s looking progressively better on the forecheck as time goes on after his surgery earlier in the year. Just working him back into game pace.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
They definitely improved, and have been in the playoffs almost every year. Trouble is that they ran into the uber competitive Central, and more specifically CHI who would beat them like a drum.

Suter has been excellent, and has quietly been a top 10 Dman every year. Worth every penny.

Not almost every year. Every year.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Regarding Parise and his contract and how screwed we are, it was 100% necessary at the time. The first 4 years he was here, he was absolutely worth it, I believe placing in the top 10 at his position in scoring over those 4 years, both individual years and cumulative over that time. The last couple, he has run into back issues, which by all accounts (his and the teams), the surgery took care of.

Just based on the eye test, he's moving fine on the ice, just seems the hands are taking some time to come back.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Is his game still based on relentless forechecking and energy?
Net front ability. I don’t see his game falling completely off the grid. It won’t match the contract but it won’t be a complete disgrace like some portray it. The past few years he was suffering leg pain from a pinched nerve in his back and I believe I read it got to the point where he was struggling with every day things like walking around the house. After his surgery he said the pain was immediately gone. Just recently was quoted saying he’s felt better right now than he’s felt in a long time.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
and now its going to bite you for years until you cry for a compliance buy out. its negotiating in bad faith at best.

Actually, what would be biting us more would be if we didn't do 13 year deals because Parise would be making $10+ million right now.

I don't know what the cap is going to be when/if there is another compliance buyout option, and I don't know how Parise is going to be playing at that time either. Could very easily be a non-issue.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
Regarding Parise and his contract and how screwed we are, it was 100% necessary at the time. The first 4 years he was here, he was absolutely worth it, I believe placing in the top 10 at his position in scoring over those 4 years, both individual years and cumulative over that time. The last couple, he has run into back issues, which by all accounts (his and the teams), the surgery took care of.

Just based on the eye test, he's moving fine on the ice, just seems the hands are taking some time to come back.

Yeah, I don't see anyone trying to argue that Parise is worth $7 million, but it's weird to me that some are acting like he's Bobby Ryan or something. Parise is still a productive player, or at least I assume he will be again next season.

As far as Devils fans saying we're lucky he didn't sign in Jersey, I disagree. Kovalchuk + Parise is absolutely a forward tandem that can win a championship (or could in 2013-2016). If Parise had stayed, I doubt Kovalchuk would have left.

Like, yeah, I'm glad we have a good young fast team now, but I'd trade it all to have had 1 or 2 more real cup runs.

vtdevils2k

"Lets Go Baby!"
Dec 16, 2013
Virginia
Yeah, I don't see anyone trying to argue that Parise is worth $7 million, but it's weird to me that some are acting like he's Bobby Ryan or something. Parise is still a productive player, or at least I assume he will be again next season.

As far as Devils fans saying we're lucky he didn't sign in Jersey, I disagree. Kovalchuk + Parise is absolutely a forward tandem that can win a championship (or could in 2013-2016). If Parise had stayed, I doubt Kovalchuk would have left.

Like, yeah, I'm glad we have a good young fast team now, but I'd trade it all to have had 1 or 2 more real cup runs.

Parise was never going to be worth that contract. When his legs go, he will be extremely average. His best asset was how relentless he was on the forecheck that forced turnovers. The Devils got his best years which will never be replicated.

I can not believe he has 7 years left on his contract? That's BRUTAL. What pissed Devils fans off was him saying at the end of the year that he was coming back and telling fans don't worry. Then it came out he was talking to Suter all season and I think even tried to get him to come to NJ but he turned that down. It is what it is, but I'll take Hall over Parise any day.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
note it's not a Wild fan making this thread. we know this was an iffy contract, we knew it was when it was signed, but it's still worth it. obvs while it'd be great to foist off the contract while there's this much time left on it, we aren't in any way thinking it's do-able. He broke a little faster than I anticipated, but overall he and Sutter were responsible for the Wild becoming a better team offensively .

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
From what was going around the Devils boards at the time, Parise and Suter has been texting all season long during their UFA year and both had every intention of signing in Minnesota. I don’t think either one had to be convinced.

It didn’t go like that either apparently.

They texted all season with every intention of playing together, but weren’t sure where that would be. Suter didn’t want to go East so. Detroit didn’t want to pay Zach what he wanted, only Suter so they ruled that out.

Once Minnesota flashed those big contracts they agreed.

It was always about getting paid and playing together. Nothing about Minnesota.

Reactions: Jerzey Devil

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
It didn’t go like that either apparently.

They texted all season with every intention of playing together, but weren’t sure where that would be. Suter didn’t want to go East so. Detroit didn’t want to pay Zach what he wanted, only Suter so they ruled that out.

Once Minnesota flashed those big contracts they agreed.

It was always about getting paid and playing together. Nothing about Minnesota.
According to who, exactly?

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
Yup. The Devils avoided disaster by missing out on Parise. Kinda funny how things work out.

Parise was one of the hottest players on the planet going into the post season. He was rounding back into form...until that dirty a-- cheap shot by Winnipeg.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Parise has very strong negative value.

24 points in 42 games this year.
42 points in 69 games last year.

He hasn't topped 62 points since 2012, has had injuries every season for years, will be 34 next season, and he has SEVEN seasons left at 7.5M after this one (and actual salary doesn't drop to 1M until the last two seasons).

He's paid to be a ~70+ point winger, and has never once done that on this contract, and the last few years especially he's been showing substantial decline.

Nobody is touching him. Even with salary retention, what's the point? You could take Parise from Minnesota for ~3.75M if they held back 50% of the caphit, but you could also just go out and sign a ~35-45 point winger for that caphit in free agency, and not worry about the 7 year term or give up any assets.

Reactions: Snowman

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
Parise has very strong negative value.

24 points in 42 games this year.
42 points in 69 games last year.

He hasn't topped 62 points since 2012, has had injuries every season for years, will be 34 next season, and he has SEVEN seasons left at 7.5M after this one (and actual salary doesn't drop to 1M until the last two seasons).

He's paid to be a ~70+ point winger, and has never once done that on this contract, and the last few years especially he's been showing substantial decline.

Nobody is touching him. Even with salary retention, what's the point? You could take Parise from Minnesota for ~3.75M if they held back 50% of the caphit, but you could also just go out and sign a ~35-45 point winger for that caphit in free agency, and not worry about the 7 year term or give up any assets.

He had 8 goals in the last 11 games of the season - 5 goals in the last 5 games of the season.

He had a goal in EACH of the three playoff games in this series.

Yeah...he's falling off.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
He had 8 goals in the last 11 games of the season - 5 goals in the last 5 games of the season.

He had a goal in EACH of the three playoff games in this series.

Yeah...he's falling off.

Ignore the last ~100-150 games, the injuries, and his age! 8 goals in 11 games, no risk at all!

7 years X 7.5M for a guy who's had 8 goals in 11 games? Heck, at that pace, he's a guaranteed rocket Richard winner!

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Terrible cap management by the Wild. They paid a hometown PREMIUM to get two players who wanted go play in Minnesota.
What other team was offering any thing close to that contract. No team.
Parise probably wasn't worth his 7.5m as his peak, but for a 13 year contract....ridiculous.

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
They were talking about this on local radio the other night...we kind of had to sign him.

But yeah, averaging a goal a game the last 8 games he played this season (regular season and playoffs 8 goals in 8 games)...he's falling off!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad