Speculation: Zach Parise not coming to Islanders camp but not retiring

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
Until his play proves otherwise, he’s still a better option for the bottom 6 than anyone on the roster. He’s made plenty of money over the course of his career and I’d have to assume that this is his decision and not Lou’s.

It’s not like the Isles have a bunch of young prospects knocking on the door to replace him.
I would settle for just one that’s tapping on the window . LGI

McDuffz88

HIRE BERUBE!!!
Sep 18, 2019
I cannot imagine he has any interest in returning to NJ. His buddies are all gone the team has changed ownership and of course Lou is on the Island. What's he going back for?
You are correct that he doesn't have anymore ties but I do think if NJ tossed him an offer he would take it & run. He was drafted a devil & even though everyone involved is gone he probably still has deep down nostalgia for the team. I also think he's desperate to try and add a cup to his resume before retirement. I know our fanbase is split between wanting him or not but I would welcome him back for 1 year. I would give him a PTO.

Reactions: My3Sons

ItWasJustified

Jan 1, 2015
Not really driving home the idea that a team would be more inclined to sign Parise than Toews by noting that he's much closer to 40...
Age shouldn't be in the calculation about signing a player. I rather have Parise than Toews and I rather have Crosby than Parise.

Vukotal Recall

Jan 30, 2010
He has made 122 million dollars over his career.

Or for Canadians, 166 million dollars.

Just in case you're wondering how utterly grotesque and effed up hockey economics are.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
The Wild are paying him 7.3M this year and next and he’s not only not playing for them but not paying for anyone. Guerin has his work cut out in Minnesota.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Yeah, that's 6 more than Toews' 15.

... Of course, Toews also played 29 less games so here's your prize.

So you're saying Parise scored 40% more goals and was able to help his team in 29 more games. I have to say, thanks to bringing stats into it, I think you've sold me on Parise being better at this point.

Directed at no one but the hockey gods: I hope this is his decision. His legacy got wrapped up with Suter's, but he's a hard working guy who probably should get one last chance at a Cup.

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell
Ahh... The Jonathan Toews "I'm not that good anymore and nobody will sign me to a contract that I feel is worth showing up to work for, so I'm hoping the cap hike in 2024 brings me money" special.

I doubt it’s about money. He’s played for the minimum salary the last two years.

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell
The Wild are paying him 7.3M this year and next and he’s not only not playing for them but not paying for anyone. Guerin has his work cut out in Minnesota.

That is not correct. The Wild pay him $833,333 per year after the buyout.

The cap hit is a different calculation.

Reactions: Kevin27NYI

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
Age shouldn't be in the calculation about signing a player. I rather have Parise than Toews and I rather have Crosby than Parise.

Judging by the fact that both are essentially saying "Yeah, I think I'll just sit this season out", it would appear that NHL GMs would rather have neither...

... At least, not at a price they're willing to show up to work for.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Lou will still find a way to give him an 8 year contract
Or Montreal will sign him and trade him at the deadline. With the media hype in Montreal their fans will think he worth a 1st + at the trade deadline.

Canadian media sucks. They are wrong more then the weatherman and we still get sucked in by them.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
Judging by the fact that both are essentially saying "Yeah, I think I'll just sit this season out", it would appear that NHL GMs would rather have neither...

... At least, not at a price they're willing to show up to work for.
Here's what Lamoriello had to say about why he hasn't signed Parise:

""Zach Parise will not be here. Zack will be with his family. We will see how the rest of the season goes. But right now, it's important for him to be there. He's spent a couple of years away, and so that is the decision at this point.... The door was always open. And I think everybody knows the relationship that I have with Zach, from when he was 17 years old, and I understand, appreciate, and respect the decision where he's at. But I think that when you have a player like that, who loves the game, the way he looked and had the success he had and what he did for the team, it's a tough thing for him to make that decision so you allow him to go as long as you possibly can without pressing or asking, and I think he made the right decision for his family. And then we'll just keep the door open for him. And as I said to him, we'll keep the number open, too." Link to quote here.

And that certainly seems to make it appear that at least one GM would be happy to sign him if he decides not to retire, but Zach simply wants to spend some time with his family before making the decision. And if that's the case, then that he hasn't signed with anyone else hardly proves no other GM has made an offer. I doubt money is the issue, considering not only how much he's made already in his career, but also that he agreed to play the last two seasons for only 750k-1.5m per season (750k salary with 750k in performance bonuses each year).

Seems much more probable that the reason that's been stated is in fact the reason.

Last edited:
Reactions: BagHead

Roomtemperature

Apr 8, 2008
New Jersey
If its not about the money it makes sense to wait til mid season to see where everyone is and sign where you want rather then getting traded to whereever for a 2nd round pick or less

Reactions: Seph

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
That is not correct. The Wild pay him $833,333 per year after the buyout.

The cap hit is a different calculation.
It’s still this season and next that he still had left on his Minny contract. He still wants to play but no team is prepared to pay his ask or guarantee him a spot.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
It’s still this season and next that he still had left on his Minny contract. He still wants to play but no team is prepared to pay his ask or guarantee him a spot.
The buyout payments to the player is the same every year, regardless of whether it's for years that were left on the contract or afterwards. It's always 2/3 of the remaining dollars owed split evenly across the twice the remaining years. It's only the caphit that changes based on the salary that would've been owed for that year.

I am curious though, what makes you think Lamoriello was lying about what he said about Parise?

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011

His contract was front loaded. When he was bought out, there was 4 years and 10 million left on it(6 million, 2m,1m and 1m).

He gets 2/3rds(6.66 m) of that spread over 8 years. So Minnesota is paying him 833k.

The cap hit is the difference between his cap hits, and what he was paid over the term of the contract.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad