Zach Parise makes good points

Oct 18, 2011
Ben Goessling ‏@BenGoesslingPP
Zach Parise was pretty fired up about the state of NHL labor negotiations today -- especially when it came to his own deal. #MNWild

Parise: "I'll tell you what: On July 1, it wasn't us saying we want long-term deals. The league keeps talking about negotiating..." (1/2)

Parise "...in good faith. Is that negotiating in good faith when these owners offer all this money, knowing they're not going to pay it?"

Parise: "It was 10, 12, 13 years from a lot of teams. If they want to call (Ryan Suter and me) the poster boys, that's fine."

https://twitter.com/BenGoesslingPP
He makes good points, seems pretty messed up to offer these deals and then not try to pay them

Shorthander

Apr 2, 2011
The other side of the coin here is that the NHLPA exercised their right to increase the salary cap this summer also knowing full well that a new CBA was coming.

It's comical how both sides like to insist that the other is making a cash grab when they're both guilty of it.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
It might not of been saying give me 15 years but i can surely say they were the ones that said give me 7+ million for a starting point, and i can surely bet my little money i have his agent kept going back to every team saying they offered him this can you beat it? Then if they do beat he will then go to the other team and say now the asking price is so and so can you beat it?

guyincognito

Mar 21, 2007
Zach Parise has already been paid $10M and will be paid $10M more next July and $5M the July after.

Probably shouldn't be involved in this in any way. Especially with the silly "50-50" that came out today. Deals like his make it impossible.

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
It's a legitimate gripe. It's hard to take the NHL seriously when teams crammed as many extensions and signings as they could through the old CBA at the last moment and then turn around and say we're paying too much.

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
Yeah not his fault he signed his contract. Can't expect him to do everything on his own free will :shakehead

If anyone offered 2-8 years he would have kicked them out of the office immediately.

guyincognito

Mar 21, 2007
The FA would have been hurt much worse if they locked out on 6/30. They would have had to go into a situation where there was less money to spend and less time to spend it.

Ideally it would have been easier to make a creative deal but anyone that signed this year was extremely lucky. And the guys who are getting most of their money up front aren't losing anything anyway, the bonus has to be paid in full, the salary is what would be rolled back.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Zach Parise was pretty fired up about the state of NHL labor negotiations today -- especially when it came to his own deal. #MNWild

Parise: "I'll tell you what: On July 1, it wasn't us saying we want long-term deals. The league keeps talking about negotiating..." (1/2)

Parise "...in good faith. Is that negotiating in good faith when these owners offer all this money, knowing they're not going to pay it?"

Parise: "It was 10, 12, 13 years from a lot of teams. If they want to call (Ryan Suter and me) the poster boys, that's fine."

https://twitter.com/BenGoesslingPP
He makes good points, seems pretty messed up to offer these deals and then not try to pay them
Shoulda played baseball eh Zach...:shakehead

Steve

Mar 6, 2002
If the players did offer a 50/50 if the owners honor existing contracts, that's what I would say is "fair". I agree that they shouldn't be signing people with the hope of not paying them in full.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
If the players did offer a 50/50 if the owners honor existing contracts, that's what I would say is "fair". I agree that they shouldn't be signing people with the hope of not paying them in full.
This can be twisted in all kinds of ways...

A 50 goal scorer like Ovechkin signs a 100M dollar deal, only to become a 30 goal guy...so Ovie shouldn't have signed that deal, cuz he really may not be able to continue to score 50 anymore, and might just become a 30 goal thug...? did he sign in good faith?

doesn't make sense does it...;)

SuperUnknown

Mar 14, 2002
Visit site
Boohoo... poor little Parise might not make 2% of his contract (considering the last NHL offer) and he'll end up with just $98M. I think the fans should cry together... It's better for poor lil Parise to lose $10M out of his $100M deal by not playing a season. Give the man an award for intelligence.

Oh, and I'm not even going to comment that nobody put a gun to Parise's head to sign before the new cba was ratified. Again, let's cry for Zach the poor.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Nothing wrong with what the owners are doing. Every contract is contingent on the CBA, and every player knows it when they sign. Quit whining like you didn't pay an agent six figures to explain this to you. There's a tradeoff for all the absurd rights that go to the player in these contracts, and this is it.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011

Except honoring existing contracts = 57. So the players did not offer 50. Not even subject to interpretation, they just didn't. It's math.

NoMoreChoking

Sep 30, 2009
Poor baby is crying that he might make 12% less then 10 million this year.

Such a tough life these a** **** have.

Im so close to never watching these brats again.

Steve

Mar 6, 2002
This can be twisted in all kinds of ways...

A 50 goal scorer like Ovechkin signs a 100M dollar deal, only to become a 30 goal guy...so Ovie shouldn't have signed that deal, cuz he really may not be able to continue to score 50 anymore, and might just become a 30 goal thug...? did he sign in good faith?

doesn't make sense does it...;)

I agree with what you're saying 100%, you're also assuming this player is no longer competing and just throwing in the towel.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
So is he suggesting that the owners should have colluded against him and Suter? It is what it is. That's the risk you take when you are a player and a owner; knowing that the new CBA will change the rules. He isn't the only player who has to adjust to it and deal with it, and the same applies with Minnesota. This situation is not unique for any single club or player.

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
Yeah not his fault he signed his contract. Can't expect him to do everything on his own free will :shakehead

If anyone offered 2-8 years he would have kicked them out of the office immediately.
^ This

Not to mention that Leipold has already started paying Parise and Suter with those $10 million checks.

squidz*

The league's 50/50 proposal (without the "make whole" provisions) would result in Parise being paid 99.6% of his contract. (This is assuming escrow reductions in 2013-2014 are negligible, otherwise it could skyrocket all the way to him only being paid 99.2%)

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
I agree with what you're saying 100%, you're also assuming this player is no longer competing and just throwing in the towel.
And some are saying the owners signed these contracts knowing they wouldn't have to pay them, which is much the same? No, they offered them under the old agreement, and some players took their agents advice, and signed their deals...not sure what Zach is crying about, he got his 10M bonus up front...he should never have to work again...

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I agree with what Parise said and this is something which I have mentioned before. No one told the Minnesota Wild or the other teams wanting to sign both Parise and Suter not to offer them those huge long term contracts. So when I hear Craig Leipold come out the next week after the Wild signed both of them to 13 year contracts worth $98 million, he can't say the players need to make less in the next CBA.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
I agree with what Parise said and this is something which I have mentioned before. No one told the Minnesota Wild or the other teams wanting to sign both Parise and Suter not to offer them those huge long term contracts. So when I hear Craig Leipold come out the next week after the Wild signed both of them to 13 year contracts worth $98 million, he can't say the players need to make less in the next CBA.
The owner is as big an idiot for whining as Parise is...they seem to deserve each other...:nod:

XLJ

Jan 4, 2010
Its a little unethical what the owners are trying to do. I dont think I can remember an instance in any of the 4 major leagues where players were forced to give back money from existing contracts. Owners handed out those contracts they should honor them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad