Injury Report: Zach Parise (Conditioning Stint w/ Iowa Wild)

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I just noticed this... apparently it's intense leg pain, not back pain right now. I won't pretend to be a doctor here, but it seems like the fact that it's not his back is a good thing, though it would still be "back surgery". So who knows.
His pain is in the leg, but this is still most definitely his back and the herniated disc he has. My dad had leg pain frequently with his as well.

hirawl

Used Register
Dec 27, 2010
Yeah it's most likely nerves pinched because of herniated discs. I've seen leg muscles practically wasted away because of this.

While I'm wishing him speedy recovery and all the best I have to be honest I'm not holding my breath for ZP ever to play an NHL game again. These things are just so difficult and NHL hockey is no walk in the park.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
The pain in his leg is called "referred pain". Could also be in his toes, or some other part of his body.

I'm bummed out, but not surprised. The ZP we saw the past couple of years was not the real ZP, and we all know that he is not lazy, or someone with a "lifestyle problem". The man's body just won't cooperate with him any more.

Somewhat lost in all this is that we are losing what you used to be our best forward, with apologies to Mikko. Parise was great for us in his first couple of years here.

I hope he makes a full recovery, and is back to playing like his old self, but i don't see his body standing up to a full season of cross checks to the back(what's up with that? They crack down on slashes, but you can hammer a guy in the lower back with your stick all day long?)ever again.

Last edited:

Puhis

Nah.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae
Having had experience from nerve pinches/slipped disc, it's hell. And yes, the most intense pain was down my left thigh, instead of back. But the pain itself is... it's something else. It's not dull, it's not momentary, it's not burning. It's pure pain. Think about that for a second. When the pain is inflicted directly onto your nerves. That's what it does.

I made it without surgery thanks to a very competitive chiropractic. Just felt a crack on my neck later same evening after I visited one, and it was better since. Still not 100% and have to be careful with it, but it's so much better. Can live a normal daily life, and that's what's important.

Worst part is crouching down, which I try to avoid at all costs. Learned to squat when picking up anything.

I don't know what Zach is currently going through, but I imagine he was trying to practice and skate the best that he can. But if it's anything like I experienced... he has the heart of a warrior and the mind of a simpleton.

Best of luck to him going forward. Hopefully, the surgery helps things and the recovery is swift. Just don't hurry back. Take your time. This time, for reals. We need you, but we need you healthy. And we are not more important than a healthy life, even if it means you won't lace them up again this season. Or ever.

Reactions: FVM

Dee Oh Cee

Aug 4, 2010
Eagan
Same...I'm sure there's no one more upset that he can't play than he is himself. Hopefully this gets rid of it...but it's so tricky. The pain is probably really bad so hopefully just for everyday life that gets taken care of.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Too bad this wasn't done 2 off-seasons ago. I hope he recovers to 100% and this surgery isn't just a temporary fix.

PuckInTheNards

Feb 4, 2008
Parise's the kind of player this team needs right now. He'd look great on the Granlund/Koivu line. Here's hoping for a quick recovery.

jedisports

Jul 4, 2012
^ Like the visual. Can't wait until he gets back on the ice. Wild not only need his game but his leadership as well.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
A doctor was quoted in an Athletic article that the longer Parise takes off to heal and get stronger, the better.

dBoon

Sep 28, 2004
Let's make ZP the X-mas present to the Wild. Time to work heal, strengthen.

Give him some of that chocolate milk. Backed by #$%$%^& science!

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
^ Like the visual. Can't wait until he gets back on the ice. Wild not only need his game but his leadership as well.
Leadership?:laugh::laugh:
Hoping Parise can return and be a solid 3rd liner for the team. Biggest benefit is that if Parise is in the lineup, one of the 6 scrubs isn't.

End of Line

Mar 20, 2009
A doctor was quoted in an Athletic article that the longer Parise takes off to heal and get stronger, the better.

That's the only way it gets better. I'm currently dealing with the possibility of the same disc re-herniating that I had surgery on a year ago. As someone mentioned at the top of the page, nerve pain is absolute pure hell and it's all in your leg. You really can't explain what it feels like. It's just not the pain though, it's the numbness and atrophy that goes along with. Glad to see Parise's operation be a success.

Hope you don't mind a Pens fan on the board.

Reactions: 57special

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
My wife is going through nerve pain in her wrist (not back), and she's... creepily like Parise, in that she has no intent to actually let it heal. That said, I'm forcing her to make it heal, and I hope the Wild take the same "papa-daddy" approach. Don't think of me saying "Oh mama!" while she's healing, and her saying "oh Papa!" louder and louder the healthier she gets, just think of Zach healing. It's better that way.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
That's pretty cool.

We need a 3rd line really freaking bad.

If Parise is in any type of playing shape, I think he'll end up getting shifts with the top-6. If Nino was playing it would be different, but a rusty Parise is probably better than the Ennis, Foligno, Stewart options as top-6 wings.

Uberdachen

Posts Last 5 Minutes
Sep 5, 2012
Pants.
There's a chance that at some point a player on the opposing team could think "Whoa, imagine if Parise was digging at it against me in the corner right now", and that momentary distraction would be approximately as effective as Ennis suited up and crashing into him at full speed.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
If Parise is in any type of playing shape, I think he'll end up getting shifts with the top-6. If Nino was playing it would be different, but a rusty Parise is probably better than the Ennis, Foligno, Stewart options as top-6 wings.

I'm thinking with a full lineup though (not sure how long Nino is out), either Parise is on the 3rd line, or he bumps one of Nino/Coyle/Zucker down there. Either way, it's an improvement on whatever option is currently there.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I'm thinking with a full lineup though (not sure how long Nino is out), either Parise is on the 3rd line, or he bumps one of Nino/Coyle/Zucker down there. Either way, it's an improvement on whatever option is currently there.

With the lack of a 3C, I wouldn't mind Coyle being bumped down to the 3rd line. Or turn the Koivu line into a pure blackhole shutdown line and load up the 3rd line with a couple of scorers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad