Oct 10, 2013
Mathematics-Blackboard-1.jpg

I did it for you. The answer is 42
:huh:

I swear that was my guess too. LOL.

Reactions: Shanty and saltming

Maria Sharapova

Jun 4, 2010
All fancy stats aside the play tends to die on Hyman’s stick, he falls down on nearly ever shift and Matthews and Nylander almost play as a duo completely ignoring him even the other team tends to ignore him stacking coverage on the other 2 superstars.

Yeah he digs the puck out quite often but he loses it on a simple dish from Matthews or Nylander just as often. He also dumps the puck and chases after it often leading to loss of possession, when Matthews and Nylander are both dominant transition players.

I’d like to see Kapp get a chance I feel he’s earned it with his play as of late. He’s one of the fastest players in the league he has chemistry with Nylander and he has a fair amount more skill then Hyman leading to teams having to respect him more ultimately making more space for Matthews and Nylander.

Hyman isn’t completely terrible though he may be one of the hardest working players I’ve ever seen and he’s a tremendous penalty killer he could definitely develop some scoring touch with his work ethic alone but I think he should develop that on the third line and steal his job back if/when that happens.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
All fancy stats aside the play tends to die on Hyman’s stick, he falls down on nearly ever shift and Matthews and Nylander almost play as a duo completely ignoring him even the other team tends to ignore him stacking coverage on the other 2 superstars.

Yeah he digs the puck out quite often but he loses it on a simple dish from Matthews or Nylander just as often. He also dumps the puck and chases after it often leading to loss of possession, when Matthews and Nylander are both dominant transition players.

I’d like to see Kapp get a chance I feel he’s earned it with his play as of late. He’s one of the fastest players in the league he has chemistry with Nylander and he has a fair amount more skill then Hyman leading to teams having to respect him more ultimately making more space for Matthews and Nylander.

Hyman isn’t completely terrible though he may be one of the hardest working players I’ve ever seen and he’s a tremendous penalty killer he could definitely develop some scoring touch with his work ethic alone but I think he should develop that on the third line and steal his job back if/when that happens.
I'd agree Kapanen has probably earned the chance to move up the lineup.
Unfortunately Hyman hasn't done anything to deserve a demotion. Whether you like him or not he may be the most consistent player on the Team.
IMO, it's time for Brown to go back to the 4th and Kapanen given his ice.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
I'd agree Kapanen has probably earned the chance to move up the lineup.
Unfortunately Hyman hasn't done anything to deserve a demotion. Whether you like him or not he may be the most consistent player on the Team.
IMO, it's time for Brown to go back to the 4th and Kapanen given his ice.
As long as the 4th line keeps rolling like this Kapanen will likely be stuck there except for spot duty as Babcock wants 4 solid lines

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other

I'm sorry but I have to disagree about your comment on other teams not covering him. Other teams send 2 men after him when the puck is behind the net. He is regularly out manned there so unless other teams are allowed 6 players that leaves someone else open. The idea that a team would leave a man open in purpose doesn't seem credible and i must be watching different games because I see him draw defenders to him all the time leaving Matthews or Willie open

Last edited:

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
As long as the 4th line keeps rolling like this Kapanen will likely be stuck there except for spot duty as Babcock wants 4 solid lines
I don't think the 4th line would be much worse with Brown but Kapanen would give a boost to Bozak/JVR.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
I don't think the 4th line would be much worse with Brown but Kapanen would give a boost to Bozak/JVR.
I don't know about much worse but it would not be as dangerous. Kapanen's skating and IQ really make the 4th dangerous.
When Brown was on it the line was ok.
I guess I'm saying Kapanen is driving that line and brown couldn't. Brown with JVR and Bozak helps them be more responsible but they can still be dangerous and JVR can bring it in flashes

Shanty

July hockey is where bridges are burned
Jan 9, 2010
Toronto
I don't know about much worse but it would not be as dangerous. Kapanen's skating and IQ really make the 4th dangerous.
I guess I'm saying Kapanen is driving that line and brown couldn't. Brown with JVR and Bozak helps them be more responsible but they can still be dangerous and JVR can bring it in flashes

Balance. That's what Babcock wants. Right now we're more balanced than we've ever been.

Reactions: saltming

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Agreed, it was more a way to get Kapanen up the lineup.

KDOTO

Feb 17, 2018
TDOTO
I appreciate the effort you put in here and it'll be interesting to see what you come up with, but I'm afraid it'll be hard to draw any conclusions from it. Ideally, you want to move towards as big of a sample size as possible while minimizing the influence of bias as much as possible. Your method relies on a really small sample size, and is utterly dependent on your bias.
Yeah I realized that. I wanted to do 10 games to start. To see if it was even worth it to do a full season. I understand the bias that is one thing I'm telling myself when I collect the data and input it. I sometimes find myself being more friendly to Hyman then the others because of the perceive notion of my bias against him, if that makes any sense.

Like I said I do these kind of things for fun. So I'm still figuring all this out. I was thinking when I'm done I would link each rating with an explanation and video. Just to show im taking my feelings away from it but that's something I will figure out later.

For what it's worth I've done two games and I've notice a little more skill then I expected from Hyman. Found a couple nice drop passes, a blow by defenders and some smart plays.

Like I said this is not to prove to anyone about Hyman, It's more for me to see if I'm not seeing him correctly. I'd like to think I am pretty good with judging players.

My first data model and prospect watching was for nik antropov, when he was drafted. I wanted to see if he would turn out to be a good pick.

Friends find it weird that I do this, because my job as a chef is to be creative but then they see this kind of stuff I do. Its all tedious pause, play, rewind, fastforward, jot down numbers then repeat. But then again i find it enjoyable.

KDOTO

Feb 17, 2018
TDOTO
I'm pretty sure that when Tiger won his first major (by 12 strokes LOL) he was young and healthy. He started working on a new swing right away despite that because he's always been obsessed with being better, no matter how good he already was.

Wow, you really are obsessed. Hey have fun, good luck and try to forget everything you know about Hyman going in, being objective is always difficult.
Haha if it wasn't Hyman I would of done it for another player anyways. I play around alot with this kind of stuff. Yes that's what I was telling nithanial, I'm trying to be non bias at all that I sometimes give Hyman to much credit. It's all a working progress, will see what I do when I'm done with it. Maybe create a website with explanation and video links to each plays that I award points for.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Haha if it wasn't Hyman I would of done it for another player anyways. I play around alot with this kind of stuff. Yes that's what I was telling nithanial, I'm trying to be non bias at all that I sometimes give Hyman to much credit. It's all a working progress, will see what I do when I'm done with it. Maybe create a website with explanation and video links to each plays that I award points for.

Hey if you're obsessed and you have the time and the energy, why not. Have fun and let us know what your findings are. :)

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Agreed, it was more a way to get Kapanen up the lineup.
I want Kapanen to move up too but maybe next year when johnsson(?) or Grundstrom(?) can pump our 4th line up?
I feel a 4th line that good can really help in playoff series

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
I want Kapanen to move up too but maybe next year when johnsson(?) or Grundstrom(?) can pump our 4th line up?
I feel a 4th line that good can really help in playoff series
I don't care who plays where as long as they win.

KDOTO

Feb 17, 2018
TDOTO
Hey if you're obsessed and you have the time and the energy, why not. Have fun and let us know what your findings are. :)
I will, one thing someone can help me with. Is there a site where I can find the start of players shift each game. That would speed everything up 10x

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I sometimes find myself being more friendly to Hyman then the others because of the perceive notion of my bias against him, if that makes any sense.
It certainly does, I find myself in similar situations many times. It's not easy to determine whether you see something others - who might share a similar bias - don't, or if being aware of your bias makes you overcompensate.

For what it's worth, I sympathize with your entire post. We seem to be a lot alike in that regard, you and I.

White Shadow

Jan 7, 2016
I'm sorry but I have to disagree about your comment on other teams not covering him. Other teams send 2 men after him when the puck is behind the net. He is regularly out manned there so unless other teams are allowed 6 players that leaves someone else open. The idea that a team would leave a man open in purpose doesn't seem credible and i must be watching different games because I see him draw defenders to him all the time leaving Matthews or Willie open
There is no NHL player that gets intentionally left alone, especially in front of the net. Which is mostly where you find Hyman in the offensive zone.

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008

Agree here.

Kapanen can really be an effective 4th liner because of his skating. The one thing working against him is that his hands still need work.

Johnsson for example is clearly a little more polished with the puck, and while he might not be ideal in a 4th line role, he might be higher in the pecking order than Kapanen for a top 9 spot.

Rogie

ALIVE
May 17, 2013
Kyoungsan
I will, one thing someone can help me with. Is there a site where I can find the start of players shift each game. That would speed everything up 10x

I'm not sure if you are looking for the shift chart, but, I use it quite often to just look at one player's shifts, shift by shift.
At the NHL site, click on the gamecentre icon (you don't need to be a subscriber or anything), then, along the right side, there are goal scorers, followed by shot totals, and bunch of other stuff, 3 stars (i think), just scroll down along the right side of the page, and you find a bunch of game reports, one of them is called the shift chart and it has all players shifts on one big graph/chart. It shows each shift by every player, when it started and when it ended.

Here is the link for the last leafs game!
NHL.com - Stats

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Agree here.

Kapanen can really be an effective 4th liner because of his skating. The one thing working against him is that his hands still need work.

Johnsson for example is clearly a little more polished with the puck, and while he might not be ideal in a 4th line role, he might be higher in the pecking order than Kapanen for a top 9 spot.
I am hoping Kapanen spends the summer working on his finishing techniques (slight pun intended)
With his speed he will be a breakaway machine and find his way into the top 9
Johnsson imo was always a finisher. A sniper who can find open ice or make a play with the puck. A nice top 9 piece.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad