Zach Hyman 1st 50 goal season

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Odd, but OK.

I dont see how in any universe Crosby is ahead of him, nor McDavid.
I only seen Howe I
Odd, but OK.

I dont see how in any universe Crosby is ahead of him, nor McDavid.
Howe probably is. He's not as prolific in my mind. I remember him more as a WHA player. His hey day Red Wing exploits are stories I've heard , not games I've watched.

JukofYork

Mar 22, 2014
McDavid has fed the puck to Hyman on 33 of his 50 goals.

I hope Hyman buys him a nice birthday present.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
The thing about Berkshire is that there's a bit of truth to the overall picture. Hockey is inaccessible to a lot of kids. Now instead of discussing how to make hockey more accessible to people that aren't that well off, he decided to attack Hyman for no f***ing reason because he was born rich. Somehow being born rich means anyone can take shots at you as if he got to choose his parents. And the thing is this is where dialogue is nowadays too. Particularly politically. Instead of trying to lift people up we tear those that are more fortunate down. Berkshire got he wanted though so in essense I guess he did his job. But in the grand scheme of things he'll be forgotten in a few days and he'll continue being a nobody with no discernable skills and Hyman will continue being a very good player in the hardest sport in the world in the best league in the world.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
The thing about Berkshire is that there's a bit of truth to the overall picture. Hockey is inaccessible to a lot of kids. Now instead of discussing how to make hockey more accessible to people that aren't that well off, he decided to attack Hyman for no f***ing reason because he was born rich. Somehow being born rich means anyone can take shots at you as if he got to choose his parents. And the thing is this is where dialogue is nowadays too. Particularly politically. Instead of trying to lift people up we tear those that are more fortunate down. Berkshire got he wanted though so in essense I guess he did his job. But in the grand scheme of things he'll be forgotten in a few days and he'll continue being a nobody with no discernable skills and Hyman will continue being a very good player in the hardest sport in the world in the best league in the world.
I heard Hyman's dad bought him 37 of the goals he scored this season.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
Its interesting to choose to single out Hyman though. Reinhardt has the same story, and got 50 goals the same night. Reinhardt's dad for a former NHLer, if anything that makes him a legacy and better target for Berkshires ire IF that was his aim., but of course, he is trying to further his crusade against Israel and nothing more. Berkshire doesn't care that hockey is an expensive sport.

check his twitter.

Last edited:

BenG

Sep 15, 2015
Montreal
In addition to what’s been mentioned above, consider he combined targeting Hyman with also implying some classic anti-Semitic tropes like ‘being rich and powerful’, ‘controlling the media narrative’, etc.

I also take into account the vitriol and anger with which he spoke. He was not simply making a point about the sport being inaccessible in general, but rather targeted a specific person in an angry rant for…reasons perhaps related to his politics.

Whatever his politics, Hyman is an innocent person whose accomplishment has been mired in hate.

In Montreal, people targeted Subban in the same way.

DrMartinVanNostrand

Kramerica Industries
Oct 6, 2017
Tampa, FL
Berkshire said a lot of stupid things in that video. Hyman may have been born into wealth - even when compared to other hockey players (I hope I'm not breaking news to anyone hear in saying that hockey isn't a cheap sport) - and that may have lent him some benefits. He still had to capitalize on those opportunities presented to him. He did. "He's a Matthews/McDavid merchant." Maybe it's true that Hyman as your #1 goal scoring threat suggests you aren't likely to be a good team, that he's best suited as a great role player but not as a leading man, but there's skill in being able to hang with guys like Matthews and McDavid as your linemates. (I won't even touch on how those two are very different players and the adaptability that requires.) One of Crosby's long-time linemates was Chris Kunitz. Many times, superstars don't need other superstars on their line, they need guys who can complement their playing style while knowing where to be on the ice. Hyman having that particular skill is a selling point.

There were some people who, for no reason whatsoever, decided to try and make Berkshire's nonsense into a BS argument about antisemitism, and those people are deranged.

Reactions: PaulD

BenG

Sep 15, 2015
Montreal
Unfortunately, many people think "Free Palestine" is an antisemitic stance. People are insane.
I don’t think many people believe the phrase itself is anti-Semitic nor is wanting Palestinian state. I would venture into thinking most wanted a two-state solution.

That said, there is a TON of anti-semitism at play in a lot of these stances that people are disingenuous about. Singling out Israel while ignoring much much much issues likely shows some of this bias. There is no similar outage for the millions of Pakistani ethically cleansed from their homes in Afghanistan this past months, millions of Uyghurs in Chinese concentration camps, Turkey Bombing Kurds, Saudis killing terrorists with BBC Colin casualties, Syrian civil war attacks and from Russia, Arab spring, the list is endless really. But not a peep which is odd to say the least…

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
This thread went about as well as could be expected.

Berkshire et al.: “Hyman was able to play on high-level teams when he was young that others can’t afford.”

Everyone: “Yes.”

Berkshire et al.: “Hockey is expensive, it needs to change!”

Everyone: “We know.”

Berkshire et al. “No one is capable of nuanced thought! The media is hiding this from us!”

The advantage that Hyman got was that his parents could afford to put him where he had the ability to play. So many kids won’t have that opportunity. I’ve seen virtually no one deny that. This isn’t new, this isn’t a media narrative (“lying by omission”, Berkshire said) and it’s not some big shock to everyone.

If Berkshire really wanted to pretend this is a “conversation we need to have”, why bring it up the second a specific NHL player scores his 50th goal? He calls himself “hockey media”, so where was his big piece on this any other time within the last 25 years, when hockey has gotten out of reach for many families?

He opened his mouth to release his ridiculous thoughts singling out one player, and they were promptly replaced by the boots of fans and legit hockey media.

Instead of doing that, and then tripling down on the nonsense, maybe he could have not piggybacked off someone’s incredible achievement, and said “hey, hockey is expensive - here’s how some of the NHL players with more modest beginnings got started”. And then offer some suggestions on how we can help reduce the costs of ice time, equipment, tournaments, travel, etc. for minor hockey in Canada.

Much more effective than offering a fact that everyone already knows, accusing the media of lying, and rebuking everyone with “you don’t understand what I’m saying”, when everyone knows exactly what he’s trying to say.

Reactions: HuGo Sham

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad