Zach Fucale: Why I'm skeptical about him

• Thread starter FrontierPsyCHiatrist*
  • Start date

CanadianBruinsFan

Mar 18, 2012
Halifax, NS
Moose fan here.

Fucale is going to be fine. Steps up huge in big games, very athletic, technically sound, excellent glove. Honestly if you haven't seen him play and are just going off that is team is good and his SVP and GAA aren't what you want them to be then the first response should be /thread.

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
The Mooseheads were - by far - the easiest team to see in the CHL this year. Between Sportsnet and TVA, they were on TV almost every week. I can't imagine anyone who wanted to watch them would have had great difficulty in doing so, but maybe that's just me.

I get all the Sportsnet channels, and I've almost never seen them listed on any of them, but lord only knows what people get for programming outside of the Maritimes. I don't even know what TVA is, lol, but it sounds like a good channel to have. When I didn't get to the games live, I almost always had to watch on our local cable (Shaw, channel 10) - except for the Mem. Cup, like I said.

Even if that was the case this year, I highly doubt it was last year.

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
If there weren't some big question marks around his game he'd have been a 1st rounder. All he does is win, if he manages to continue doing so 3 years in a row - whether they have Drouin, Mackinnon, or neither - it really tells something is special about him.

Since he was still the first goalie picked, I think it's a commentary on the quality/depth available at other positions, and where teams were/are willing to pick goalies; more than any "question marks" around his game, anyway. Fewer question marks than anyone who went after him, imo.

Saintpatrick*

I can't wait till he's ready for the NHL and fights for Price's job. I think he's talented enough to become our #1 in a few years. Not hating on Price but I'm beginning to worry.

habsfanatics*

May 20, 2012
I think judging goalies from different leagues based on SV % can be very misleading. I don't know this for fact, but I suspect the Q is harder to put up top numbers vs WHL/OHL as the style of play is different. Q teams are typically offensive minded and not as sound defensively. Am I out to lunch here?

Maybe whitesnake or someone else who heavily follows the Q can weigh in?

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
I think judging goalies from different leagues based on SV % can be very misleading. I don't know this for fact, but I suspect the Q is harder to put up top numbers vs WHL/OHL as the style of play is different. Q teams are typically offensive minded and not as sound defensively. Am I out to lunch here?

Paging QuebecPride.

habsfanatics*

May 20, 2012
The name fits the bill on that guy, that's for sure. Love reading his posts on the Q.

I've seen the name from time to time, but haven't read much that stands out. I'm assuming you enjoy reading his posts in a positive way? Or is he homerish? I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic here?:laugh:

If he has great insight, I'll pay closer attention to his posts.

I usually just defer to whitesanke on these topics, because he is the most prominent poster I remember and seems to offer excellent insight to these type of discussions, whether he gets one wrong from time to time.

JesusBouillon

Jan 29, 2009
Skaters can often be judged with stats in junior, it's different for goalies.

The Mooseheads were destroying everyone in the Q this year, I bet they didn't play a tight checking game when they were leading 5-0.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
I've seen the name from time to time, but haven't read much that stands out. I'm assuming you enjoy reading his posts in a positive way? Or is he homerish? I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic here?:laugh:

If he has great insight, I'll pay closer attention to his posts.

I usually just defer to whitesanke on these topics, because he is the most prominent poster I remember and seems to offer excellent insight to these type of discussions, whether he gets one wrong from time to time.

No completely honest. He mostly posts in the prospect threads, so if you don't go there you might not see it. He's got great insight on the Q. Whitesnake is another good one, but you had already mentioned him ;). WTK sees a lot of Q games as well, and is usually a very good evaluator IMO.

habsfanatics*

May 20, 2012
No completely honest. He mostly posts in the prospect threads, so if you don't go there you might not see it. He's got great insight on the Q. Whitesnake is another good one, but you had already mentioned him ;). WTK sees a lot of Q games as well, and is usually a very good evaluator IMO.

Thanks for this, appreciate it.

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
Based on his potential, it's safe to say he will be the next Patrick Roy and future franchise goalie being elite for the next decade.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006

My mind is blown: http://theqmjhl.ca/stats/show/type/top_goalies/ls_season/171/subtype/1

Fucale was tied for 3rd in the league for sv%. #1 in the league was .913 to his .909

The 1st place SV% of .913 in the Q would rank 9th in the WHL and 7th in the OHL

WHL: http://www.whl.ca/stats/show/type/top_goalies/ls_season/242/subtype/1
OHL: http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/stats/show/type/top_goalies/ls_season/46/subtype/1

Last edited:

TA1 Sports

@TA_Stephenson
Dec 3, 2011
Halifax NS
www.ta1sports.com
This myth that the Mooseheads didn't have a good defense is garage. Purely based upon peoples knowledge of how good the offense was so it's assumed they were just throwing 6 guys out there on the blue line and outscoring everyone.

So false. The group was very functional, under rated I would say because of just how good the offense was. Credit also needs to be given to the forward group for their defensive play, and Dominic Ducharme for how well the plays bought into his system all year. Halifax played great team defense, from the goalie out.

I don't know how good Fucale will end up being in the NHL, but based off of what I've seen so far, I'm sure he'll be pretty solid.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
This myth that the Mooseheads didn't have a good defense is garage. Purely based upon peoples knowledge of how good the offense was so it's assumed they were just throwing 6 guys out there on the blue line and outscoring everyone.

So false. The group was very functional, under rated I would say because of just how good the offense was. Credit also needs to be given to the forward group for their defensive play, and Dominic Ducharme for how well the plays bought into his system all year. Halifax played great team defense, from the goalie out.

I don't know how good Fucale will end up being in the NHL, but based off of what I've seen so far, I'm sure he'll be pretty solid.

I don't think any one is saying the defense was garbage. Mooseheads didn't give up many shots but what they did give up, almost always, was a prime scoring chance.

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
I don't think any one is saying the defense was garbage. Mooseheads didn't give up many shots but what they did give up, almost always, was a prime scoring chance.

I can also remember a game where Moncton came out in the first and outshot Halifax 20-10, and went into the second up 1-0. Fucale kept them in the game big time that period, and the Moose came out in the 2nd period and started piling in goals. Outshot ~40-30, the Moose still came away with a 5-2 victory - Fucale the game's 1st star.

On the flip side, there was a game I watched on TV where Halifax got out to a 3-0 first period lead, but the other team (Val d'Or?) carried the play over the next two periods (~40 vs 20 shot totals for those periods) and tied it up by the end of regulation. Fucale was very much under siege the whole time, but held them in it in the 3rd, OT, then shut the door on all three shooters in the SO to get the win and the game's 3rd star.

Whatever the stats say, the Mooseheads got some monster performances from Fucale on top of his trademark coolness and consistency.

Habaddict

Apr 12, 2009
toronto
honestly, I stopped reading after that as it was pointless

Perhaps. After all he wasn't trying to tell us anything. He was trying
to ask something.

But even that should be useful on these boards. There are a lot of posters
who feel that they know a lot. Someone who admits they don't know, and
would like to be told, should be appreciated. :)

FrontierPsyCHiatrist*

Perhaps. After all he wasn't trying to tell us anything. He was trying
to ask something.

But even that should be useful on these boards. There are a lot of posters
who feel that they know a lot. Someone who admits they don't know, and
would like to be told, should be appreciated. :)

Thank you

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I find it difficult to guage goalies that play on dominate junior teams so it's going to be interesting to see how much he progresses over the next few years. On the other hand he's getting such great experience at such a young age since it's still early in his development and he's already got Memorial Cup, U-18's and now time with the U-20's. It's nice to finally have a quality goalie prospect that the club drafted. :handclap:

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Here why Fucale is our goalie of the future and will eventually allow us to trade Price (who I think the world of) for a basket of riches. Fucale has ZERO pressure on him. He's Halak but with with more talent and a higher ceiling. He's lucky enough to be allowed years to develop and did his game without being rushed into a situation he's not ready for. Like Rask, Schneider etc. he'll be given as much leeway and time as he needs. That will allow him to grow and eventually take the reigns of the team in the next several years while Price is the number 1 in Montreal. Perfect situation to be in for Fucale.

Kid is clutch and he'll be able to grow his confidence and hone his skills.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad