Zach Fucale: Why I'm skeptical about him

• Thread starter FrontierPsyCHiatrist*
  • Start date

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
What I love about the fucale pick is that when Price finally becomes the dominant goalie we all want him to be, we can easily trade fucale for a legit top 6 forward or a top 4 dman, if lets say we're going for a serious cup run.

If price is still inconsistent for the next 2-3 years, thats when fucale comes in and save the day.

Cant really go wrong with goalie depth.

As for Zykov, habs dont need him. We already have Sebastian Collberg and Brendan Gallagher.

The same logic applies to Zykov........depth is always good but is probably better at any position other than goaltending as you only need one goaltender to play a game. I am not defending or attacking the pick but your logic just wasn't working for you there.

Apr 28, 2010
The same logic applies to Zykov........depth is always good but is probably better at any position other than goaltending as you only need one goaltender to play a game. I am not defending or attacking the pick but your logic just wasn't working for you there.

So if Price pulls a Theodore in 2-3 years, who will we have to replace him? Zykov? Goalies aren't that easy to find.

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
I find it difficult to guage goalies that play on dominate junior teams so it's going to be interesting to see how much he progresses over the next few years. On the other hand he's getting such great experience at such a young age since it's still early in his development and he's already got Memorial Cup, U-18's and now time with the U-20's. It's nice to finally have a quality goalie prospect that the club drafted. :handclap:

Fucale is the best goalie our Habs drafted in 8 years!! (that's a long time!). And, we're still lucky other teams had other needs since Fucale could have been chosen in the top 20 overall, imo.

Last edited:

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
Goalies are actually one of the easiest assets to acquire.

Not necessarily ones that you "want" to acquire. It's certainly easy to settle on some solution for a backup or third stringer, but that's about it.

Speaking of logic failures, you just implied that either a) only one goalie is needed to get through a season, b) games played by backups don't matter in the standings, or c) that injuries don't happen to goalies. Either way, far worse logic, given that the Habs made 8 picks, and shored up the depth in the skating positions with 7 of them...

MrNasty

Jun 13, 2007
Nova Scotia
The scouts did not saw in Moose d-men as very good.
On Halifax's defense, one D was picked in 6th (Weegar) and another one in 7th (Abeltshauser).
All other d-men from Halifax were not drafted.

Just to compare, the Knights had two d-men picked in first and one in second.
Portland also had two d-men picked in first round, a second round and a fifth round.
Even the Blades, who entered in Memorial cup by the back door, had a first rounder, a second rounder and a 5th rounder.

So I guess that team defense is a must and as you say, the system they were applying must have been good.

I saw a few Mooseheads game this year and I find Abelthauser to be incredibly underrated. He was a great d-man for the Mooseheads and I would love for the Habs to acquire him. Both big and skilled.

On Fucale: I also really liked what I saw from him although other Moosehead fans appear to disagree. His calmness and ability to come up big when needed made me notice him...he is just so hard to evaluate when he rarely had to keep the team in a game. He is stellar positionally which is why he doesn't stand out. That part of him reminds me of Price. He isn't flashy because he doesn't need to be to make up for being out of position.

Analyzer*

If Fucale develops, he'll be a perfect goalie for Philadelphia.

He makes the saves when you need them. That's something Philadelphia never gets.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Goalies are actually one of the easiest assets to acquire.

A player at any position is easy to acquire. Acquiring one worth acquiring is the hard part. Plenty of teams will tell you that who've attempted and failed in the past. Philly, Toronto, Tampa, Pittsburgh etc to start with

Montreal has been lucky when it comes to goaltending for the most part. Outside of the years before we had Price and used Hackett, Theodore and Halak as stop gaps. Not having a solid goaltender your team has confidence playing in front of makes a HUGE difference. We, of most teams should know that.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I saw a few Mooseheads game this year and I find Abelthauser to be incredibly underrated. He was a great d-man for the Mooseheads and I would love for the Habs to acquire him. Both big and skilled.

On Fucale: I also really liked what I saw from him although other Moosehead fans appear to disagree. His calmness and ability to come up big when needed made me notice him...he is just so hard to evaluate when he rarely had to keep the team in a game. He is stellar positionally which is why he doesn't stand out. That part of him reminds me of Price. He isn't flashy because he doesn't need to be to make up for being out of position.

As a 16 year old, he back stopped the Mooseheads to an incredible victory against the ramparts in the play offs. Scouts have that play to analyze as well. Fucale was an important piece to their conference finals team which was not as close to the calibre of their mem cup team

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Looked better today than at the Habs development camp...but his clear weakness for me is glove side. Will need to work on this for sure.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Looked better today than at the Habs development camp...but his clear weakness for me is glove side. Will need to work on this for sure.

His weakness is not his glove side, per say, it's his focus on the glove hand. I've seen him make many miraculous glove saves in tight. The problem arises when he has to track the shot going to his glove side, I think he isn't following the puck into his glove hand well enough, leading to misjudging the flight pattern.

It's something most young goalies struggle with. No issue there.

PernellsWhiteAmi

Long Live Chappelle
Oct 24, 2009
Vermont/Montreal
When Trevor Timmins says that drafting Zachary Fucale anywhere away from the middle of the first round is a steal, than it's a steal. Timmins is a genius, and is one of, if not the best in the biz.

Guys relax with Zach, He is still young and his numbers do not scare me. I like the kid. Give you a comparison would you ever draft a kid with these numbers? And please tell me who it is.

1981–82 Ste-Foy Gouverneurs QAAA 40 27 3 1 0 2400 156 3 2.63 —
1982–83 Granby Bisons QMJHL 54 13 35 1 2808 293 0 6.26 —
1983–84 Granby Bisons QMJHL 61 29 29 1 3585 265 0 4.44 —
1984–85 Granby Bisons QMJHL 44 16 25 1 2463 228 0 5.55 —
1984–85 Montreal Canadiens NHL 1 1 0 0 20 0 0 0.00 1.000
1984–85 Sherbrooke Canadiens AHL 1 1 0 0 60 4 0 4.00 .852

Feintastic

Jun 22, 2013
That's the big problem nowadays, superfans everywhere who run their mouth.

If you havent seen a guy play at least 20 games you judgement is full of ****.

People look at youtube highlight and **** like that and they all think they're pro scouts...bunch of Pejorative Slurs puwahahah ! I NEVER talk about a prospect I dont know **** about.

Fucale's is really really strong mentally I wont say more for nothing its like talking to a deaf man. Also would like people to remember Halifax is an offensive axed team and Zach's stats arent reflecting his potential and goalies take ALOT of times to develop, just look at Carey Price he's not even in his prime yet after all these years, but dont worry...he will.

Last edited:

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Guys relax with Zach, He is still young and his numbers do not scare me. I like the kid. Give you a comparison would you ever draft a kid with these numbers? And please tell me who it is.

1981–82 Ste-Foy Gouverneurs QAAA 40 27 3 1 0 2400 156 3 2.63 —
1982–83 Granby Bisons QMJHL 54 13 35 1 2808 293 0 6.26 —
1983–84 Granby Bisons QMJHL 61 29 29 1 3585 265 0 4.44 —
1984–85 Granby Bisons QMJHL 44 16 25 1 2463 228 0 5.55 —
1984–85 Montreal Canadiens NHL 1 1 0 0 20 0 0 0.00 1.000
1984–85 Sherbrooke Canadiens AHL 1 1 0 0 60 4 0 4.00 .852

comparing the Q today to the Q back then with Roy means nothing imo, very different eras.

That's the big problem nowadays, superfans everywhere who run their mouth.

If you havent seen a guy play at least 20 games you judgement is full of ****.

People look at youtube highlight and **** like that and they all think they're pro scouts...bunch of Pejorative Slurs puwahahah ! I NEVER talk about a prospect I dont know **** about.

Fucale's is really really strong mentally I wont say more for nothing its like talking to a deaf man. Also would like people to remember Halifax is an offensive axed team and Zach's stats arent reflecting his potential and goalies take ALOT of times to develop, just look at Carey Price he's not even in his prime yet after all these years, but dont worry...he will.

Why 20 games? I personally try to watch every Hab prospect play as much as possible, but when you are talking about over 30 kids playing in several different countries it can be difficult to get a good read on all of them, but that's the good about HF is people being able to discuss prospects.

I'd suggest taking it down a notch, I understand your frustration and I know exactly what you mean as I go through this song and dance every time I rank the Hab prospects. As everyone around here knows, this fan base is very bi-polar but it's too be expected as the biggest fan base in the NHL imo, you are going to get all kinds but in the end this should be about entertainment since nothing we say matters in the end.

optimus2861

Aug 29, 2005
Bedford NS
As a 16 year old, he back stopped the Mooseheads to an incredible victory against the ramparts in the play offs.
For those who don't know, the Moose came back from a 3-0 series deficit to take out the Remparts, including a 7th game overtime victory in Quebec (where Zach made 17 3rd-period saves out of 41 overall). That was one hell of an achievement for a squad loaded with 16-year-old talent.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad