Speculation: Zach Bogosian

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Bogosian doesn't work unless Buffalo takes Staal, which I can't see them wanting to do. Rangers would add, but I doubt that he's a Ranger at any point.
Generally agree, except IMO Sabres add.
Bogo has regressed, not seeing any stop to his slide.

Staal is only a shell of the guy who once was the best pure shutdown D, due to eye injury and concussions; however, he has rebounded and is somewhat improved from last year. He is now a competent 3rd pair, esp if his partner has wheels. Staal should not go more than 10-12 mins ideally.

Bogo I see him offering nothing except he is RD, and what good is that if you are an actual liability?

The Rangers have Graves + in depth.
Staal wants to play, not sit.
If Bogo just wants to sit and collect a check on LTIR or go to the A, then there is a basis for a tactical back scratcher.

But Sabes would need to make that worth Rangers while.

If Staal not relocated, he could be bought out next year relatively not too bad, so why take on Bogo $ instead?
Again, that is not insurmountable to a deal, but Rangers need incentive.

No profit on hockey deal; seems would have to be a $.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I like the sound of that. What would the Sabres want for him?

I wish I knew. Probably would have to be a defenseman of some sort to take some of his minutes. A fair chunk of the Sabres early season slide was due to having their entire RD out (Ristolainen, Bogosian, Falk, Tennyson, and Fedun... five guys). While I don't like Bogosian, they don't have someone who can eat those minutes.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Generally agree, except IMO Sabres add.
Bogo has regressed, not seeing any stop to his slide.

Staal is only a shell of the guy who once was the best pure shutdown D, due to eye injury and concussions; however, he has rebounded and is somewhat improved from last year. He is now a competent 3rd pair, esp if his partner has wheels. Staal should not go more than 10-12 mins ideally.

Bogo I see him offering nothing except he is RD, and what good is that if you are an actual liability?

The Rangers have Graves + in depth.
Staal wants to play, not sit.
If Bogo just wants to sit and collect a check on LTIR or go to the A, then there is a basis for a tactical back scratcher.

But Sabes would need to make that worth Rangers while.

If Staal not relocated, he could be bought out next year relatively not too bad, so why take on Bogo $ instead?
Again, that is not insurmountable to a deal, but Rangers need incentive.

No profit on hockey deal; seems would have to be a $.

Wait, so the Sabres take on the longer financial commitment for the worse defenseman and they have to add? Amazed they haven't just beaten the Rangers' door down for that option.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Wait, so the Sabres take on the longer financial commitment for the worse defenseman and they have to add? Amazed they haven't just beaten the Rangers' door down for that option.

Bogo today is not better than Staal today. That was the point behind no hockey deal here, only $.
Also, you guys complain Bogo out too much. Staal has his flaws but he shows up and plays hard.
Staal used properly esp w/correct partner could contribute on your 3rd pair. How long he does that beyond this year is a crapshoot, because we understand vets can turn into Drury redux quickly. Nobody beats father time.

However, Bogo offers less.

Consider, Rangers can tactically buyout Staal next year, and given that, conceivably could move him to a bottom dweller who can pull that trigger should it become necessary over balance of contract term.

Bogo is deadwood NOW.

So yeah, no way Rangers do this deal w/out some Sabes incentive added.

Blitz

Let's Go B-U-F-F-A-L-O!!!
Dec 14, 2009
Ontario
Bogo today is not better than Staal today. That was the point behind no hockey deal here, only $.
Also, you guys complain Bogo out too much. Staal has his flaws but he shows up and plays hard.
Staal used properly esp w/correct partner could contribute on your 3rd pair. How long he does that beyond this year is a crapshoot, because we understand vets can turn into Drury redux quickly. Nobody beats father time.

Consider, Rangers can tactically buyout Staal next year, and given that, conceivably could move him to a bottom dweller who can pull that trigger should it become necessary over balance of contract term.

Bogo is deadwood NOW.

So have you ever actually watched Bogosian play? Or is all of this bogo vs. Steal dribble based purely on what is said on hf? Bogo is younger, faster and has a shorter financial responsibility - this equates to at least equal if not higher value... Also if Bogo continues to look as comfortable in Housleys new system as he has in these first few games he won't be traded - this system is built for his skill set (definitely not Staals - see Josh gorges)

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

Bogo is deadwood NOW.

No, Bogosian does not offer less than Staal and Staal's contract is f***ing terrible and not worth taking on, even with a large plus from the Rangers. I may not like Bogosian for how he hasn't unpacked the tools from the toolbox over his career or that he plays in a way that leads him to be injured. But that doesn't mean that he's less than Mark Staal, it simply means I don't like Bogosian. Staal on the other hand isn't worth the time it took me to type this response, even with that more years at $5.7M with a NMC.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
So have you ever actually watched Bogosian play? Or is all of this bogo vs. Steal dribble based purely on what is said on hf? Bogo is younger, faster and has a shorter financial responsibility - this equates to at least equal if not higher value... Also if Bogo continues to look as comfortable in Housleys new system as he has in these first few games he won't be traded - this system is built for his skill set (definitely not Staals - see Josh gorges)

No, Bogosian does not offer less than Staal and Staal's contract is ****ing terrible and not worth taking on, even with a large plus from the Rangers. I may not like Bogosian for how he hasn't unpacked the tools from the toolbox over his career or that he plays in a way that leads him to be injured. But that doesn't mean that he's less than Mark Staal, it simply means I don't like Bogosian. Staal on the other hand isn't worth the time it took me to type this response, even with that more years at $5.7M with a NMC.

Gentlemen,
fellow NYers and HFB frat bros to my north,

no need to get your whatever in an uproar.

We agree to disagree.

I admit to not being as fully informed as you about Bogo on a day to day basis. I am generically aware of what is said about him on HFB. I also do look when catching available NHL games, not just vs NYR

Bogo remains tough. Iron. Not someone ya wanna put dukes up with. But his mobility is bad. Not Girardi bad. But bad. Ds who can't skate are not good. Staal is already part of the way there, but can at least still manage 3rd pair. Bogo, his partner doesn't have to be Bobby Orr or Brian Leetch, but he does need serious skating speed.

Bogo is NOT faster.
They both do a tough body check, and I don't think the rest of checking deserves extensive parsing. But while Staal's speed skating is subpar gravitating to bad, Bogo's skating is atrocious.

In closing, Bogo is a year less term. He is also the ballpark close salary of 5,142,857 to Marc's 5.7. These are not insurmountable factors to potential deal.

We can't do biz on this b'c your opinion -- which is your right -- is you consider Bogo to have actual performance value right now and possibly further into his contract. I do not consider his value good, let alone high, in that regard.

As I fully disclosed, Bogo only works for Rangers if they bury him and promote youth.

Accordingly, it has to be a $ deal with that valuation or no deal.

All best to you if you w/no rancor if you think you can get a taker for him who will pay more on basis of a hockey trade.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
Gentlemen,

We agree to disagree.

I admit to not being as fully informed as you about Bogo on a day to day basis. I am generically aware of what is said about him on HFB. I also do look when catching available NHL games, not just vs NYR

Bogo remains tough. Iron. Not someone ya wanna put dukes up with. But his mobility is bad. Not Girardi bad. But bad. Ds who can't skate are not good. Staal is already part of the way there, but can at least still manage 3rd pair. Bogo, his partner doesn't have to be Bobby Orr or Brian Leetch, but he does need serious skating speed.

Bogo is NOT faster.
They both do a tough body check, and I don't think the rest of checking deserves extensive parsing. But while Staal's speed skating is subpar gravitating to bad, Bogo's skating is atrocious.

In closing, Bogo is a year less term. He is also the ballpark close salary of 5,142,857 to Marc's 5.7. These are not insurmountable factors to potential deal.

We can't do biz on this b'c your opinion -- which is your right -- is you consider Bogo to have actual performance value right now and possibly further into his contract. I do not consider his value good, let alone high, in that regard.

As I fully disclosed, Bogo only works for Rangers if they bury him and promote youth.

All best to you if you w/no rancor if you think you can get a taker for him who will pay more on basis of a hockey trade.
You have no idea what you’re talking about. Bogo has GOOD mobility. Terrible positioning, mostly due to throwing stupid checks.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
The only way Vancouver takes Bogosian is if it clears salary for a much better and cheaper asset coming our way.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
Gentlemen,

We agree to disagree.

Bogo is NOT faster.

I'll take long winded, 5 dollar words and poor judge of player assessment for a true daily double alex!

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan
Gentlemen,

We agree to disagree.

Bogo is NOT faster.

Bogo's mobility and general athleticism are literally the only things keeping him in the NHL. He's a good skater (and a very good one for a man his size).

I don't think you know what you're talking about.

Reactions: cybresabre

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad