Prospect Info: Zach Benson, LW/C, Wenatchee (WHL), Signed ELC- 2023, 13th Overall

CowbellConray

Sep 8, 2010
and how is it a hot take to say that Benson was below average? Is 30 points what we should expect from an average NHLer? One who got plenty of time in the top 6?
Better than team average Corsi
Better than team average fenwick
+11 Takeaway/Giveaway ratio
28 ES points (only 2 PP points because he didnt play much PP time
PDO was low, production was worse than impact on ice
14:31 TOI, anyone with more production than him had more PP time and more overall TOI
Ended the year with 12 points in his last 17, showing growth in his game as the year went on
Still only 18 years of age, so of course he gets a general thought of "He will continue to grow"

He was A+ in the sense that as the 12th overall pick he came in and had a positive impact on the team, and showed growth as the year went on

If you are comparing him relative to other NHL players, looking at his production and advanced stats, I'd give him a B. He is absolutely a guy who this year would have put up 38-42 points with consistent PP time, and would have done even better if he was truly in the top 6 like you are saying... (ES TOI was 9th for forwards)

CowbellConray

Sep 8, 2010
Better than team average Corsi
Better than team average fenwick
+11 Takeaway/Giveaway ratio
28 ES points (only 2 PP points because he didnt play much PP time
PDO was low, production was worse than impact on ice
14:31 TOI, anyone with more production than him had more PP time and more overall TOI
Ended the year with 12 points in his last 17, showing growth in his game as the year went on
Still only 18 years of age, so of course he gets a general thought of "He will continue to grow"

He was A+ in the sense that as the 12th overall pick he came in and had a positive impact on the team, and showed growth as the year went on

If you are comparing him relative to other NHL players, looking at his production and advanced stats, I'd give him a B. He is absolutely a guy who this year would have put up 38-42 points with consistent PP time, and would have done even better if he was truly in the top 6 like you are saying... (ES TOI was 9th for forwards)
Not to hammera point home further....

1713469242499.png

These are the skaters who were around Benson for ESTOI. Far right (last column) is ES points.

He scored more points than Kevin Hayes, Scott Laughton, Protas, Kapanen, Evans, Poehling). He scored two less ES points than Perron, and 5 less than Knies. On the 22nd best scoring team in the league.

For his time on ice and matchups, he did well as a general player, and VERY well given he is 18...

Steddy33

Jan 7, 2012
let's not go overboard and give him an A+

He had a D+ year, which is really good for an 18 year old (the overwhelming majority get Fs). But he was still a below average NHLer overall
The most consistent and best player on the team a lot of nights, as an 18 year old, gets a d+. I enjoy stories.

If even half the team played half as hard and intelligent as this guy did as a rookie we'd be in the playoffs.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Here’s how he played down the stretch of the season as he had more put on his plate and Mittelstadt wasn’t there to be a strong linemate. Was still 18

On a team full of anchors…he’s an 18 year old life preserver

D+

Havok89

Oct 26, 2010
Can Benson play in Rochester? I know if he was with WHL he would be able to play in Rochester now.,
If Benson can improve his speed and strength a bit, he’s undoubtedly an NHL player, and there’s no need for Rochester. I’m pretty sure with more power play time he’s a 60+ point guy real soon.

He already plays the way most of our veterans need to.

Reactions: beerme1

Faceboner

Jan 6, 2022
If Benson can improve his speed and strength a bit, he’s undoubtedly an NHL player, and there’s no need for Rochester. I’m pretty sure with more power play time he’s a 60+ point guy real soon.

He just needs to keep putting in the work in the off-season he started looking faster as the season went on by the time he hits 23 he will be a beast along with our d core hitting their prime years we will be a good team soon

Reactions: beerme1

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

Im talking about playing for Rochester in the playoffs with his CHL team out

he cant play in rochester in 24/25--its CHL or buffalo

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Im talking about playing for Rochester in the playoffs with his CHL team out

he cant play in rochester in 24/25--its CHL or buffalo
I would guess he would have needed to be paper transactioned down before the deadline to be eligible. His pro contract started so I would think the rules for playoff eligibility are different once that happens.

But it doesn’t matter either way. He needs to head to the off-season now. It’s more than just playing the full season…his last off-season was a deep playoff run, followed by combine and draft and dev camp and rookie tournament and vet camp and preseason…not to mention moving to a new country and everything that comes with that. Kid hasn’t stopped since before last season in Winnipeg started.

slip

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 19, 2005
I would guess he would have needed to be paper transactioned down before the deadline to be eligible. His pro contract started so I would think the rules for playoff eligibility are different once that happens.

But it doesn’t matter either way. He needs to head to the off-season now. It’s more than just playing the full season…his last off-season was a deep playoff run, followed by combine and draft and dev camp and rookie tournament and vet camp and preseason…not to mention moving to a new country and everything that comes with that. Kid hasn’t stopped since before last season in Winnipeg started.
Yeah man the kid deserves a break. He should take the next couple of months and relax an be an 18 year old, Throw in several weekly strength training sessions and some light conditioning work, but that's it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad