Prospect Info: Zach Benson, LW/C, Wenatchee (WHL), Signed ELC- 2023, 13th Overall

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Food for thought for anyone wondering about Benson's production, consider these rookie years:
  • Alex Tuch 78 15/22/37 +3 (played the entire season at 21)
  • Jack Quinn 75 14/23/37 -7 (played the entire season at 21)
  • JJ Peterka 77 12/20/32 -13 (turned 21 in January)
  • Tage Thompson 41 3/6/9 -12 (turned 20 in October)
  • Sam Reinhart 79 23/19/42 -8 (turned 20 in November)
  • Casey Mittelstadt 77 12/13/25 -19 (turned 20 in November)
  • Dylan Cozens 41 4/9/13 -15 (turned 20 in February)
  • Zach Benson 55 7/14/21 -2 (played the entire season at 18)
In context, the kid has actually been remarkable.
Miss me Sam Reinhart

Satanphonehome

Jan 4, 2015
As he approaches the end of his rookie season, I went to eliteprospects to check comparables for Zach's rookie year

There have only been 83 U19 players to play in the NHL this century. Depending on how you define it, about 40 spent the bulk of that year in the NHL. Benson sits in a tie for 24th-best production.

Among players who weren't top 10 draft picks he is tied for 3rd:
  1. Bergeron 39
  2. Sillinger 31
  3. Pastrnak 27
  4. Benson 27
  5. O'Reilly 26
  6. Sbisa 7

Among "small forwards" he ranks 4th
  1. Bedard 59
  2. Nugent-Hopkins 52
  3. Gagner 49
  4. Benson 27
  5. Jack Hughes 21
  6. Pierre-Marc Bouchard 20
Some other interesting U19 comparisons:
  • Tim Stutzle 29
  • Alexander Barkov 24
  • Tyler Seguin 22

22 players in the past 24 years have put up 30 points as a U19 NHLer. 37 have put up 20.

The worst careers from that bunch are:
  • Gagner, who only once topped his rookie season, but still played 1,000 NHL games
  • Bouchard, who peaked early with seasons of 57, 59, and 63 points then fell off the radar
  • Alex Galchenyuk who roughly echoed Bouchard's career
  • And Sillinger, Jesperi Kotkaniemi and Kappo Kakko, who are still young and finding their games
The other 31 are, or were, — at worst — fringe stars like Nugent-Hopkins and Jordan Staal and they include many of the league's best players over the past 20 years.

One of the most interesting findings of this dive is how few of these guys were "ruined" by playing at 18. The most interesting finding is how likely it is that those players become studs.

Misko

Sep 30, 2020
I think Benson hits 30 pts by end of the season. For an 18 year old, it's pretty darn impressive and Benson has only gotten better as the season has gone on. I think he's gonna be a bonafide 1st line winger for this team for a longtime, I think he can be a point per game player within a few years too, he just plays the game the right way, so much skill and smart and compete.

Faceboner

Jan 6, 2022
I think Benson hits 30 pts by end of the season. For an 18 year old, it's pretty darn impressive and Benson has only gotten better as the season has gone on. I think he's gonna be a bonafide 1st line winger for this team for a longtime, I think he can be a point per game player within a few years too, he just plays the game the right way, so much skill and smart and compete.
Honestly think he is better than Reinhart as a prospect

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Honestly think he is better than Reinhart as a prospect
Looking at their “1st years” only, I’d say Benson had a better overall effort from game 1. Reinhart was rightfully sent down for a reason and he needed it.

I don’t think Benson has shown any dynamic aspect of his game this season, so it will be interesting to see how the two guys’ 2nd seasons compare if he’s able to carry any of that over. That’s when Reinhart really put the profile of a Top 6 NHL player together.

Reactions: Fly Boy

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Looking at their “1st years” only, I’d say Benson had a better overall effort from game 1. Reinhart was rightfully sent down for a reason and he needed it.

I don’t think Benson has shown any dynamic aspect of his game this season, so it will be interesting to see how the two guys’ 2nd seasons compare if he’s able to carry any of that over. That’s when Reinhart really put the profile of a Top 6 NHL player together.

His defense is pretty dynamic.

Misko

Sep 30, 2020
With his goal today, Benson officially has 30 points (11 goals, 19 assists) to close out the season in 71 games. For an 18 year old player, this has by all accounts been a great, if not remarkable season for Benson especially once you take into account some of his bad luck offensively (posts, chances he has generated that were not buried by teammates, etc) and more importantly his invaluable role off the puck on both the forecheck and defensively.

For reference, his 18 year old season is better than every 1st overall forward's 18 year old season (J. Hughes, Laf and Slafkovsky) since Matthews if you don't count Bedard. It's hard to overstate how impressive Benson's season has been for an undersized 18 year old player, let alone one drafted outside of the Top 10.

I think we got a real gem of a player here.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
With his goal today, Benson officially has 30 points (11 goals, 19 assists) to close out the season in 71 games. For an 18 year old player, this has by all accounts been a great, if not remarkable season for Benson especially once you take into account some of his bad luck offensively (posts, chances he has generated that were not buried by teammates, etc) and more importantly his invaluable role off the puck on both the forecheck and defensively.

For reference, his 18 year old season is better than every 1st overall forward's 18 year old season (J. Hughes, Laf and Slafkovsky) since Matthews if you don't count Bedard. It's hard to overstate how impressive Benson's season has been for an undersized 18 year old player, let alone one drafted outside of the Top 10.

I think we got a real gem of a player here.

Better point and points/game than Ryan O'Reilly, Tyler Seguin, Evander Kane, Kirby Dach too. It was a great first year.

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX
let's not go overboard and give him an A+

He had a D+ year, which is really good for an 18 year old (the overwhelming majority get Fs). But he was still a below average NHLer overall

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad