Zac Rinaldo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim Vezina Thomas

Jun 4, 2009
When has the bolded ever happened? At what stage of his career?

As far as the "it's not like we gave a lot"... that's fine, but then I don't want to hear people who say that pump up Heinen orGabrielle or Vladar, because clearly they are nothing prospects and have no value. If a 3rd rd pick is "Nothing" then I guess that means these guys are too. If they traded Heinen today for John Scott would that be a good value move? Why not? Scott is a better fighter (if you think that matters), actually had more pts per 60 minutes last year than Rinaldo and has a MUCH better penalties taken/penalties drawn than Rinaldo.

If you think a 3rd for Rinaldo is good but Heinen for Scott wouldn't have been good I'd love to hear why.

You keep quoting "'nothing" as if I actually said the word, I didn't. We all know you can't help your arrogant quips and general tone, we all dont mind, but please don't quote something I didn't say. I believe I said "not that big of a loss if it doesnt work out."

And your point would be valid if every single 3rd round pick was an automatic NHLer. I'll let you do the research yourself for the % of 3rd+ rounders that become NHL regulars. I'd also wager Rinaldo is better than a significant amount of them.

And he hasnt ever been defensively responsible, but hes also never played for Claude Julien, so who the hell knows? I can guarantee you he won't be playing a lot if hes a defensive liability, and in that case a 3rd rounder isn't a huge loss (feel free to quote me on that). Sweeney/Neely saw something in him that gave them the confidence hed succeed in the lineup.

Could be a complete lie, but Sweeney said Rinaldo was "jumping out of the phone" or something like that when he heard about it. Color me excited about having a player who WANTS to be on this team.

I'm fully aware a 3rd rounder could turn into Milan Lucic or David Krejci, but I'm also fully aware it will most likely turn into Ryan Button, and thats why I don't mind.

Zac Rinaldo*

it seems as though the organization is utilizing zac as the central figure in most of their official features of late. can't blame them, he's an attractive and congenial man.

vjcsmoke

Jun 29, 2011
You keep quoting "'nothing" as if I actually said the word, I didn't. We all know you can't help your arrogant quips and general tone, we all dont mind, but please don't quote something I didn't say. I believe I said "not that big of a loss if it doesnt work out."

And your point would be valid if every single 3rd round pick was an automatic NHLer. I'll let you do the research yourself for the % of 3rd+ rounders that become NHL regulars. I'd also wager Rinaldo is better than a significant amount of them.

And he hasnt ever been defensively responsible, but hes also never played for Claude Julien, so who the hell knows? I can guarantee you he won't be playing a lot if hes a defensive liability, and in that case a 3rd rounder isn't a huge loss (feel free to quote me on that). Sweeney/Neely saw something in him that gave them the confidence hed succeed in the lineup.

Could be a complete lie, but Sweeney said Rinaldo was "jumping out of the phone" or something like that when he heard about it. Color me excited about having a player who WANTS to be on this team.

I'm fully aware a 3rd rounder could turn into Milan Lucic or David Krejci, but I'm also fully aware it will most likely turn into Ryan Button, and thats why I don't mind.

I feel we overpaid for an enforcer. He's basically Shawn Thornton's replacement. A guy with zero offense is worth a 3rd round pick? Really? SMH.

Rinaldo career stats:
http://www.hockey-reference.com/players/r/rinalza01.html

bizman

Feb 27, 2009
montreal
I feel we overpaid for an enforcer. He's basically Shawn Thornton's replacement. A guy with zero offense is worth a 3rd round pick? Really? SMH.

Rinaldo career stats:

So you really think they picked him up to score goals? You' ll be changing your tune when he starts plastering some d-men. Vanilla hockey is not the Bruins way, we need someone to rattle some cages.

Tim Vezina Thomas

Jun 4, 2009

When did I say he was worth a 3rd round pick? I didn't. I merely said it won't be a catastrophic loss if it doesnt work out. I also said I bet Rinaldo is better than the majority of 3rd round picks drafted.

Stats are cool amirite? He wasn't brought in to score goals, he was brought in to throw his body around.

So you really think they picked him up to score goals? You' ll be changing your tune when he starts plastering some d-men. Vanilla hockey is not the Bruins way, we need someone to rattle some cages.

The biggest downside I see in the deal is losing an asset to trade at the deadline, other than that and the obvious pick in the draft, it wont ruin the organization if it doesnt work out. Can't have a ton of these type a deals, but I think Sweeney knew the lackluster effort from the Bs last year needed an infusion of energy.

If Rinaldo is as advertised, and turns out to not be a liability on the defensive end, I love the deal. If it doesnt work out, I guess we'll have to play by the numbers and hope the pick is Ryan Button not David Krejci.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010

Rinaldo career stats:

While I feel Randell cold have filled this roll internally I am very happy to see Sweeney add toughness to the team, I believe I and others have mentioned this a time or two since the trade.

Looking at the Bruins history of third round picks over the past 20 years the thing that really stood out was how many have been traded. Bruins don't appear to think much of third rounders.

The third round is as much luck as anything. Good Bruin picks include Brad Marchand and Michael Hutchinson. Some not so great include Mikko Lethonen, Ryan Button, Kyle Wanvig and Tuuku Makela, among others.

Rinaldo, whether guys who like his style of play or would prefer Martin Havlat, have to admit he is a regular NHL player, who is young and plays a physical, tough game. Well worth the chance they may draft Mattias Karlin again with the third round pick Rinaldo cost the team.

If you just want the team to play like cub scouts and last season was your style of hockey, just admit it. People acting like a third round pick is the key to a cup win are just being silly.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
While I feel Randell cold have filled this roll internally I am very happy to see Sweeney add toughness to the team, I believe I and others have mentioned this a time or two since the trade.

Looking at the Bruins history of third round picks over the past 20 years the thing that really stood out was how many have been traded. Bruins don't appear to think much of third rounders.

The third round is as much luck as anything. Good Bruin picks include Brad Marchand and Michael Hutchinson. Some not so great include Mikko Lethonen, Ryan Button, Kyle Wanvig and Tuuku Makela, among others.

Rinaldo, whether guys who like his style of play or would prefer Martin Havlat, have to admit he is a regular NHL player, who is young and plays a physical, tough game. Well worth the chance they may draft Mattias Karlin again with the third round pick Rinaldo cost the team.

If you just want the team to play like cub scouts and last season was your style of hockey, just admit it. People acting like a third round pick is the key to a cup win are just being silly.

I hear what your saying but Patrick Roy says hello;)

Rinaldo is far from a regular NHL player

Tim Vezina Thomas

Jun 4, 2009
I hear what your saying but Patrick Roy says hello;)

Rinaldo is far from a regular NHL player

He brings energy which this team needs.

I don't necessarily disagree with your assessment of Rinaldo but I think we're putting FAR too much energy into this acquisition as a whole :laugh:

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Not sure if you have read the thread, but our argument is exactly that he is not a regular NHL player.

He's played 223 games in the NHL, 58 last year 67 the year before. He may not be a top 9 forward but that many games makes you a regular.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005

Not to score goals, but how about "not allow goals by other team's 4th liners" because if you think that trait is important then guess what... he sucks at it.

MAYBE there is an effect of his hitting and "intimidation" but at what price? If he's allowing a boatload of goals to the Zubrus, Glass, Matt Martin's of the world, does a big hit or 2 really matter?

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
When did I say he was worth a 3rd round pick? I didn't. I merely said it won't be a catastrophic loss if it doesnt work out. I also said I bet Rinaldo is better than the majority of 3rd round picks drafted.

Stats are cool amirite? He wasn't brought in to score goals, he was brought in to throw his body around.

The biggest downside I see in the deal is losing an asset to trade at the deadline, other than that and the obvious pick in the draft, it wont ruin the organization if it doesnt work out. Can't have a ton of these type a deals, but I think Sweeney knew the lackluster effort from the Bs last year needed an infusion of energy.

If Rinaldo is as advertised, and turns out to not be a liability on the defensive end, I love the deal. If it doesnt work out, I guess we'll have to play by the numbers and hope the pick is Ryan Button not David Krejci.

3rd round picks are kind of like gift cards. They don't really seem like that big of an asset because they are kind of vague and nebulous. However, once you draft a player or buy something, you see a tangible result and get more attached to it. So forget "3rd rd pick".

Would you deal a Heinen or a Vladar or a Bjork or Cehlarik or Fitzgerald for a guy that can be argued to be the worst player in the league?

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
If you're worried about the scoring of other teams 4th lines than you're in waaay too deep.

No, if you have to worry about the other team's 4th line scoring then you have a sucky player on the 4th line.

You are right, you shouldn't have to worry about that, but it's a fact that with Rinaldo you do. 4th liners last year scored 2.29 goals per game with Rinaldo on the ice. The year before it was 2.74.

Let that sink in for a moment.

A team filled with nothing but 4th liners (Rinaldo had the easiest QOC on the team) scored at a rate of 2.74 goals a game.

To give you an idea of those numbers (2.29 and 2.74):

Daniel Paille against better competition allowed 1.94 goals a game.
Gregory Campbell allowed 1.56
Thornton in his last year in Boston allowed 1.29 (a full goal lower)

It's an undeniable fact: Every time Rinaldo was on the ice against other team's 4th lines, his team was at a disadvantage.

But he fights!!!!!!

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH
No, if you have to worry about the other team's 4th line scoring then you have a sucky player on the 4th line.

You are right, you shouldn't have to worry about that, but it's a fact that with Rinaldo you do. 4th liners last year scored 2.29 goals per game with Rinaldo on the ice. The year before it was 2.74.

A team filled with nothing but 4th liners (Rinaldo had the easiest QOC on the team) scored at a rate of 2.74 goals a game.

It's an undeniable fact: Every time Rinaldo was on the ice against other team's 4th lines, his team was at a disadvantage.

But he fights!!!!!!

OK so their 4th line sucked?

Stone Clode

Kicks him, stunner!!
Jun 1, 2010
Swansea, MA
Why is it that when somebody says they think Zac Rinaldo is a detriment to the Bruins, its IMMEDIATELY because that person hates fighting and likes soft, weak, baby hockey? Those 2 things are not mutually exclusive. There are plenty of NHL players that can hit the crap out of people and fight (Ryan Reaves, Matt Martin, Jared Boll, Brandon Prust) that also aren't a complete negative to their team when they are on the ice. You can have a tough team, there are guys you can go and trade for that can do that that make your team intimidating to play against and are emblematic of 'Bruin hockey'.

However...Zac Rinaldo is NOT THAT PLAYER. AT ALL.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010

But he fights!!!!!!

Yes he does and that was a sadly lacking part of last years team, he hits as well. I think we understand you hate fighters and enforcers as much as I like them, fortunately Neely and Sweeney seem to like a physical style as well. They also drafted Jesse Gabrielle, signed Ryan Hickman and Brandon DeFazio and resigned Adam McQuaid. I guess they couldn't stand watching the Bruins get pushed all over the ice last year either.

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH
Yes he does and that was a sadly lacking part of last years team, he hits as well. I think we understand you hate fighters and enforcers as much as I like them, fortunately Neely and Sweeney seem to like a physical style as well. They also drafted Jesse Gabrielle, signed Ryan Hickman and Brandon DeFazio and resigned Adam McQuaid. I guess they couldn't stand watching the Bruins get pushed all over the ice last year either.
Agreed

DNE3

Sep 14, 2010
No, if you have to worry about the other team's 4th line scoring then you have a sucky player on the 4th line. You are right, you shouldn't have to worry about that, but it's a fact that with Rinaldo you do. 4th liners last year scored 2.29 goals per game with Rinaldo on the ice. The year before it was 2.74. Daniel Paille against better competition allowed 1.94 goals a game. Gregory Campbell allowed 1.56.Thornton in his last year in Boston allowed 1.29 (a full goal lower) It's an undeniable fact: Every time Rinaldo was on the ice against other team's 4th lines, his team was at a disadvantage. But he fights!!!!!!

Rinaldo's on-ice defensive numbers in Philadelphia were also a reflection of his inept teammates. Meanwhile, on the home front, Paille could no longer check for fear of concussion, and Campbell could no longer skate and keep up with the play, and Thornton could do neither. And, of course, Gagne was an empty sweater allowed regular shifts. Rinaldo skates fast and hits hard, assets. Old BruinsCulture says we would better off with Ryder. It's true.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Why is it that when somebody says they think Zac Rinaldo is a detriment to the Bruins, its IMMEDIATELY because that person hates fighting and likes soft, weak, baby hockey? Those 2 things are not mutually exclusive. There are plenty of NHL players that can hit the crap out of people and fight (Ryan Reaves, Matt Martin, Jared Boll, Brandon Prust) that also aren't a complete negative to their team when they are on the ice. You can have a tough team, there are guys you can go and trade for that can do that that make your team intimidating to play against and are emblematic of 'Bruin hockey'.

However...Zac Rinaldo is NOT THAT PLAYER. AT ALL.

Would have taken any one of those players before Rinaldo, but maybe they all would have cost more than a third round pick.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown

But he fights!!!!!!

There were 6 regular forwards in philly last year with a worse ga/60 and 5 the year before. We get it you don't like him - now can we take a break from beating the horse that hasn't even put on a spoked B yet?

DBL

Sep 13, 2002
Visit site
He's only 25, would be safe to assume his best years are in front of him. Has the potential to be a pretty good rough 4th liner down the road. New scenery with new players and coaches could help him groom into a serviceable 4th liner one day. Certainly give him a chance. If not, whatever, move along.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad