Zac Rinaldo (2013-14 season) -- Update Apr. 7, 2014: Suspended four games

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I think he has a good idea of what the coaches and management think, but their thinking on McGinn seems to have changed with him getting PK time for the Phantoms.

Fire Tortorella

Formerly Flyersfan1406
Apr 2, 2010
PA
That staff writer doesn't know jack ****.

I'm pretty sure Metzler had a piece about McGinn a while back in which he talked to an NHL scout who said basically the same thing. Not enough offense for the top-6, not good enough defense or skating for the bottom-6.

Qyburn

Apr 2, 2012
Allentown
I know this is a hater's market, but I can't be the only one who noticed how much it looked like he was a significant part of the team's newfound confidence last game. Even before his goal.

He does lead the team in hits, and his hits are often very spirited, as was the fight he had.

Really lousy timing on this one. Hope it doesn't affect the locker room.

CTU2fan

Jul 12, 2009
Agreed on the timing, poor guy finally scores and now this.

McGinn-Hall-Vandevelde will be fine as a 4th line. Or I suppose Rosehill could get back in...but I prefer McGinn.

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada
does anyone know when his injury happened ???

i thought he finished the game..

wonder if its possible to go back in game footage and see when he took the inury...

also didnt he have a presser after the game, and there was no mention of him being injured then im sure.

King Forsberg

16 21 28 44 68 88 93
Jul 26, 2010
I know this is a hater's market, but I can't be the only one who noticed how much it looked like he was a significant part of the team's newfound confidence last game. Even before his goal.

He does lead the team in hits, and his hits are often very spirited, as was the fight he had.

Really lousy timing on this one. Hope it doesn't affect the locker room.
Rinaldo hasn't been as good as he was last season but I agree with what you're saying. He clearly is respected and well liked on this team. With all the physicality this team brings Zac is still the one that brings energy most games. He was great in the Habs game. He made some nice plays before and after his goal. Even on the PK he had a few nice reads that led to clears.
does anyone know when his injury happened ???

i thought he finished the game..

wonder if its possible to go back in game footage and see when he took the inury...

also didnt he have a presser after the game, and there was no mention of him being injured then im sure.
I don't remember if it was the second or third period but a Hab was skating towards the middle going towards our net and Rinaldo went for the hit. Whoever it was fell right before Rinaldo got there and Zac's leg sort of got twisted. I believe he skated down the ice for a scoring chance but afterwards he was clearly in pain.

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada
I don't remember if it was the second or third period but a Hab was skating towards the middle going towards our net and Rinaldo went for the hit. Whoever it was fell right before Rinaldo got there and Zac's leg sort of got twisted. I believe he skated down the ice for a scoring chance but afterwards he was clearly in pain.

ahhh i missed the 3rd period i bet it was during that...

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com

Gert B Frobe

Nov 18, 2003
Chester County
I don't really agree that McGinn is a "tweener" without top 6 offense or bottom 6 defense. I think he could play an effective bottom 6 role. He would play for some other teams in this league with less forward depth. I don't think his defense is as bad as some of our "writers" say.

I will be the first to admit that I underestimated Berube but he is not above criticism. When an injury immediately makes your team better - you might have been making a lineup mistake. I love hits and fights just as much as anyone but Rinaldo doesn't play significant minutes, isn't great defensively, has no offensive talent and that's about it. Not interested in 95% of his whiff checks and turnovers and near wins vs. middleweights just to get one highlight of him knocking out BJ Crombeen...

McGinn is twice the hockey player Rinaldo is and they're a better team with him in the lineup.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
We barely have the injury bug relative to a lot of teams. For example Tampa with stamkos and bishop.

Most years we are down our top 2 guys or half the rest of the team. This years noticeably better than years past imo

Yeh, the Flyers are doing ok so far this season:

http://www.mangameslost.com/nhl-man-games-lost-january-10-2014/

17th in Man games lost.

16th in skater TMITT. (like the quality of guys lost)

We've been really fortunate with injuries. Nobody too major has been injured. Raffl was out briefly, Downie was out for one or two brief bits, and Lecavalier is in and out of the lineup like Tampa Bay fans warned us he would be because his seasons have gone that way for a while now.

Only injury I would consider being really unfortunate this season is Read and that's only because it looks like it could be a pretty bad concussion.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Injury update: January 27, 2014
Flyers general manager Paul Holmgren announced that forward Zac Rinaldo's status is now day-to-day with a high-ankle sprain.

Rinaldo has been sidelined since Jan. 9, missing the last nine games due to the sprain on his left leg, when it was originally thought to take six weeks for a recovery. The Flyers have a 2-5-2 mark during that stretch in which Rinaldo has not been available.

So far he has two points (1g-1a) on the year and despite his absence from the line-up, continues to lead the team with 101 penalty minutes, but has since dropped to second o the team in hits (135). He averaged 7:30 of ice-time per-game through his first 44 games of the season.

http://flyers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=702593&navid=DL|PHI|home

Bob Clarke Fan Club

Feb 14, 2003
Visit site
I don't really agree that McGinn is a "tweener" without top 6 offense or bottom 6 defense. I think he could play an effective bottom 6 role. He would play for some other teams in this league with less forward depth. I don't think his defense is as bad as some of our "writers" say.

I will be the first to admit that I underestimated Berube but he is not above criticism. When an injury immediately makes your team better - you might have been making a lineup mistake. I love hits and fights just as much as anyone but Rinaldo doesn't play significant minutes, isn't great defensively, has no offensive talent and that's about it. Not interested in 95% of his whiff checks and turnovers and near wins vs. middleweights just to get one highlight of him knocking out BJ Crombeen...

McGinn is twice the hockey player Rinaldo is and they're a better team with him in the lineup.

Zac's a big hitter and fast skater on a soft, slow team. Necessary for an energy line. Good skills? Of course not, most guys that play his role don't. He is what he is and most players don't enjoy playing against him. Can't believe the hate he gets from some fans on here.

Fire Tortorella

Formerly Flyersfan1406
Apr 2, 2010
PA
Zac's a big hitter and fast skater on a soft, slow team. Necessary for an energy line. Good skills? Of course not, most guys that play his role don't. He is what he is and most players don't enjoy playing against him. Can't believe the hate he gets from some fans on here.

Because his 7 odd minutes of ice time aren't useful. He can't PK, isn't a good defender, can't score, and takes both legitimate and reputation penalties. Who cares if he skates fast and hits hard.

RinaldoZac

Jun 30, 2012

Very well said

Broad Street Elite

Nov 9, 2011
I just know that Rinaldo is gonna return and the Flyers will run off like 5 in a row. I'm just going to have to sit there shaking my head in stunned silence as all of Zac's fans come out and state the reason for the team's recent struggles was the lack of Zac Attack.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad