Zac Rinaldo (2013-14 season) -- Update Apr. 7, 2014: Suspended four games

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada
It was an easy feed to a wide open Giroux though, nothing really jaw dropping about it. basically 2 on 0. And the Goalie was waiting for Giroux to receive the pass and blocked it easily. I thought Rinaldo probably had a better angle to shoot than Giroux did.

come on, do YOU even beleive what u wrote ??

cuz no one else does.

Totally Radivojevic

Nov 6, 2007
Haha, so true. People really get out of their way in their hatred for Rinaldo. We get it, he's been bad this year, but to discard even the good things he does is just plain ridiculous.

He also stole the puck from a Phoenix defenseman who was trying to bring the puck out from behind his own net. It was great forechecking that lead to a doorstep opportunity for a teammate (forget who) a second later. I believe he had wraparound attempt as well that resulted in a loose puck in the crease that the team got a couple whacks at. His best game in a while (I refuse to fault him for BS penalties).

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I'd like to know his numbers when not playing with Rosehill. Zac has been bad, but that combo is extra bad. Rinaldo playing with Hall and VdV is a lot better.

sobrien

RAFFLCOPTER
Jul 19, 2009
South Jersey
Pretty solid last couple games for him, good on the PK too. Didn't need that fight tonight though, especially when he watched what it did FOR the team against PHX

AaronTrieu

Mar 6, 2008
Did I hear him ask "were the boobs affecting us?" During an interview and everyone cracking up. I gotta look it up later. I heard a little of it when I was doing dishes

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I think someone asked if "the boos" were affecting him, and Rinaldo asked if they meant was "the booze" was affecting them.

shipwreck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sep 7, 2011
Texas
He is not the best player, and he never will be. And yea - he does some dumb stuff. He's also very LUCKY to be on the team - given the caliber of other players.

All that said - I actually really like Rinaldo for who he is. He certainly is trying, which cannot be said for what the appearance of the team was at the start of this season.

Many people get on him on the various game threads - I am on some of those threads sometimes as the game is on.

Despite all that, I like him. I am looking forward to meeting him at the carnival. For some weird reason, he is one of my favorite players on the team. I doubt I will bother to get a jersey for him to sign - as he will probably not have a long NHL career and be well known years from now. But, ya never know.

Anyway, I am a fan of his, and I was happy to see his goal last night.

In future threads about future games, I am sure I'll keep seeing a lot of negative stuff about him on this forum.

Paint me as a guy who just likes him as a player for some reason. No matter what - he TRIES. He is busting his ass all around the ice and skates well. When everyone looked like they were just going thru the motions at the start of the season, he was not. He plays with heart.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
He is not the best player, and he never will be. And yea - he does some dumb stuff. He's also very LUCKY to be on the team - given the caliber of other players.

All that said - I actually really like Rinaldo for who he is. He certainly is trying, which cannot be said for what the appearance of the team was at the start of this season.

Many people get on him on the various game threads - I am on some of those threads sometimes as the game is on.

Despite all that, I like him. I am looking forward to meeting him at the carnival. For some weird reason, he is one of my favorite players on the team. I doubt I will bother to get a jersey for him to sign - as he will probably not have a long NHL career and be well known years from now. But, ya never know.

Anyway, I am a fan of his, and I was happy to see his goal last night.

In future threads about future games, I am sure I'll keep seeing a lot of negative stuff about him on this forum.

Paint me as a guy who just likes him as a player for some reason. No matter what - he TRIES. He is busting his ass all around the ice and skates well. When everyone looked like they were just going thru the motions at the start of the season, he was not. He plays with heart.

I agree that Rinaldo gives an excellent effort game in game out. Where I have a bit of a problem with this kind of "endorsement" (he's giving it his all while the other guys are dogging it) is this- it's easy (or at least easier) for a player like Rinaldo to impress with his effort than it is for other players of whom more is expected. Basically if Zac is pin-balling around the ice and hitting people or being a general disruptive influence, he's doing his job and the effort is not questioned.

Otoh, Giroux's (just as an example) effort is questioned if he's not setting up his team mates, putting up points, or if he's guilty (or even looks guilty) of blowing a defensive assignment. My beef is that for these other guys (i.e., actual good players) if things are messed up in general (as they were at the start of the season) they may appear to be not giving the effort when it's more a case of general confusion, not knowing where to be, maybe trying to cover for someone else and getting caught in no-man's land... that kind of stuff. In other words, I am more likely to blame the coach than the players for that kind of stuff. I've watched every game and I really never got the impression that anyone was coasting or just didn't care. I saw frustrated players and players who were pressing too hard (squeezing the old stick) but I never felt any of these guys were just collecting a paycheck.

So while I appreciate the intensity that Rinaldo shows on a consistent basis, I'm not going to give him credit for doing something that the better players on the team aren't doing.

shipwreck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sep 7, 2011
Texas
Well, in some of the early games - I gotta say that players like SImmonds, for example, didn't seem to have any pep at all to get from one spot on the ice to the next. Comments about such activity were on those particular game threads too - as others immediately noticed it.

I am actually a big Simmonds fan, and even have a signed jersey (signed by him) hanging in my home office. He is one of my fav players on the team too. The example of him is just one that comes to mind this second. There were other players as such too, so I do not meant to slight Simmonds. He seems to have returned to the player we all loved from past seasons.

Back to Rinaldo... So, I get that not everyone plays fantastic every game, and there was also some coaching issues. But on some games - it just seems like some players didn't even mentally bother showing up for the game. Only way I can think to put it.

However, it is true that the expectation of what is expected of Rinaldo is lower than what is expected of other players. And, I think I acknowledged that above by stating he isn't anywhere the players of others.

That being said - I still like him. And no matter what the chatter is on this thread or others - I will still like him, for whatever weird reason I can't even explain myself I think :laugh:

I just wanted to throw that out there since many comments about him are negative. That was my only point...

Last edited:

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
Well, in some of the early games - I gotta say that players like SImmonds, for example, didn't seem to have any pep at all to get from one spot on the ice to the next. Comments about such activity were on those particular game threads too - as others immediately noticed it.

I am actually a big Simmonds fan, and even have a signed jersey (signed by him) hanging in my home office. He is one of my fav players on the team too. The example of him is just one that comes to mind this second. There were other players as such too, so I do not meant to slight Simmonds. He seems to have returned to the player we all loved from past seasons.

Back to Rinaldo... So, I get that not everyone plays fantastic every game, and there was also some coaching issues. But on some games - it just seems like some players didn't even mentally bother showing up for the game. Only way I can think to put it.

However, it is true that the expectation of what is expected of Rinaldo is lower than what is expected of other players. And, I think I acknowledged that above by stating he isn't anywhere the players of others.

That being said - I still like him. And no matter what the chatter is on this thread or others - I will still like him, for whatever weird reason I can't even explain myself I think :laugh:

I just wanted to throw that out there since many comments about him are negative. That was my only point...

I like him too. And I give him a ton of credit for even playing in the NHL when more than a few people thought he was to bat-poop crazy to make it. But that doesn't mean I wouldn't like to see a better player in his spot. But if Rinaldo can become that better player, if a game like last night is more the norm (he doesn't have to score every game though) than the exception, then I'm fine with that too.

OzFlyers

Registered Boozer
Jul 3, 2011
Australia
Rinaldo Out Six Weeks

Less than 24-hours after posting a 3-1 win over the Montreal Canadiens, Flyers GM Paul Holmgren announced an injury update to forward Zac Rinaldo.

"Zac Rinaldo sustained a left high ankle sprain in our game last night. He will be out for approximately six weeks."

Rinaldo, who posted his first goal of the season in last night's victory, has two points and is one of nine players to have appeared in all 44 games for the Flyers so far this season.

He leads the team with 101 penalty minutes and 135 hits on the season, while averaging 7:30 of ice-time per-game.

http://flyers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=699871

Last edited by a moderator:
Jun 13, 2010
New Jersey
Rinaldo Out Six Weeks

Less than 24-hours after posting a 3-1 win over the Montreal Canadiens, Flyers GM Paul Holmgren announced an injury update to forward Zac Rinaldo.

"Zac Rinaldo sustained a left high ankle sprain in our game last night. He will be out for approximately six weeks."

Rinaldo, who posted his first goal of the season in last night's victory, has two points and is one of nine players to have appeared in all 44 games for the Flyers so far this season.

He leads the team with 101 penalty minutes and 135 hits on the season, while averaging 7:30 of ice-time per-game.

Ain't that some sh... . Score your first goal (of the year) and get injured in the same game.

The good news: Rinaldo won't play for the next six weeks.
The bad news: Rosehill will play for the next six weeks.

Damaged Goods

Feb 26, 2009
Philadelphia
Ain't that some sh... . Score your first goal (of the year) and get injured in the same game.

The good news: Rinaldo won't play for the next six weeks.
The bad news: Rosehill will play for the next six weeks.

Ugh. I hope this sparks a move for some quality 4th line depth. Dan Carcillo was acquired by the Rangers for a 7th round pick last week, and he's a much better player than Rosehill or Rinaldo.

Schmidty324

Sep 14, 2010
Philadelphia
Ugh. I hope this sparks a move for some quality 4th line depth. Dan Carcillo was acquired by the Rangers for a 7th round pick last week, and he's a much better player than Rosehill or Rinaldo.

I hope they actually allow McGinn to play a bottom 6 role, i think he'd be an effective grinder. McGinn-Vandevelde-Hall would be a decent 4th line.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad