Speculation: Yzerman's strategy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Indrid Cold

Oct 24, 2022
Stevie seems to be sitting back, laughing, and even helping his adversaries destroy their future for today. Boston, Florida, Ottawa and Carolina are depleting their draft pick stocks and setting themselves up for a decade of cap hell. Meanwhile, the Wings are setting up well to take advantage of it.

Boston: Aging core, and a massive contract to Pasta. Pissed away draft capital. They dont need Bert to win the Cup this year.

Ottawa, TB, Carolina, NYR, NJ all depleting draft capital for rentals and expensive core pieces.

Detroit and Buffalo will rule the division in 4-5 years.

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
I think Ottawa picking up Chychrun was a good long term move, otherwise I agree.

I expect this to be controversial here though. Alot of people here really valued the 86 game season where we get absolutely embarrassed by Boston in a completely non-competitive 4 game sweep.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I think the next few months has a huge spectrum of possibilities as to what the next few years will hold. If Detroit makes all the picks they loaded up on, we're in for a few more years of slow growth. But if they can find a high end player or two in a trade, that accelerates things back to absolutely making the playoffs next year, and maybe more, depending on how the kids perform.

Another summer of middle of the lineup signings would be very discouraging at this point, but I don't see that coming. I think it's time to be bold, but we'll see whether such wizardry is possible.

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
I think Steve saw the team poised to make a playoff push then suddenly choke it away and decided it reminded him too much of the Lions so entered full on sell mode. Hopefully the scenario you describe comes to pass.

I agree with wolves, Ottawa is likely entering an era as a very strong team, provided they keep it together.

Reactions: David D

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
I think Ottawa picking up Chychrun was a good long term move, otherwise I agree.

I expect this to be controversial here though. Alot of people here really valued the 86 game season where we get absolutely embarrassed by Boston in a completely non-competitive 4 game sweep.

I don't hate the Meier move from New Jersey from a long term point of view either if they keep him around, they kept all their most important prospects and young players and he's 26

i'm someone that isn't really a fan of rental trades in general so I mostly agree with the rest

Redwing66

Oct 3, 2020
It’s the only strategy that makes sense. The east is an arms race that Detroit can’t compete in today. Better to focus on the Raymond, Seider, Edvinsson, Kasper core with significant draft capital and payroll flexibility at the same time. There will be a point to hit the gas - now isn’t it, no matter how much fans want it to be.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
I think the next few months has a huge spectrum of possibilities as to what the next few years will hold. If Detroit makes all the picks they loaded up on, we're in for a few more years of slow growth. But if they can find a high end player or two in a trade, that accelerates things back to absolutely making the playoffs next year, and maybe more, depending on how the kids perform.

Another summer of middle of the lineup signings would be very discouraging at this point, but I don't see that coming. I think it's time to be bold, but we'll see whether such wizardry is possible.
I don't see another summer of middle of the lineup signings, either. This is the summer that Yzerman makes a big trade or two; I'm already looking forward to Draft Day to see what he cooks up with all the extra capital. I suspect it will be something no one saw coming.

JediOrderPizza

Apr 15, 2012
Tampa, Fl
I don't see another summer of middle of the lineup signings, either. This is the summer that Yzerman makes a big trade or two; I'm already looking forward to Draft Day to see what he cooks up with all the extra capital. I suspect it will be something no one saw coming.
Even if they wanted to splurge, there's nothing significant to sign.

If they do indeed go out and spend again on depth pieces I will start to question things.

Reactions: Ricky Bobby

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010

If they do indeed go out and spend again on depth pieces I will start to question things.
Yeah, I agree. I think the only way we go out and sign depth is if we move Copp and Chia out and need to replace them. I don't see that happening in any event.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016

Yeah, you have to think with Dylan saying that Steve has kept him in the loop the past 2 or so weeks about where the team is headed, and him re-signing that Yzerman isn't just hoping to be a non playoff team again. Larkin has to want playoffs badly at this point, so too many more seasons of non playoffs and I can't see him as excited to stay.

That is why I think it is possible Steve will spend some draft capital on something decently big and unexpected. At least one can hope.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada

Thing is, Yzerman will need to splurge in some capacity. As of now this team is slated to be about 9 million below the cap floor with no significant RFAs to resign.

Reactions: Rzombo4 prez

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Yep the organization kicked the can down the road until they kicked it off a cliff. No choice but to try to build talent instead of just recharging a few players every season and being mediocre forever. Loving the picture that is shaping up. We could get unlucky in the draft of course but its better to take a shot then just be perpetually mediocre which is the only other choice.

Also cap room is now open to take on bad contracts for more picks

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
You can't actually believe that...

I see the argument as far as we haven't replaced Hronek or Bert with something that is as good or better than them as of now. Rookies making the team, are just that, rookies and won't be as good, so from that stand point we are worse roster wise. Direction wise we are fine as Bert wasn't back anyhow and we got something of value for him.

Yep the organization kicked the can down the road until they kicked it off a cliff. No choice but to try to build talent instead of just recharging a few players every season and being mediocre forever. Loving the picture that is shaping up. We could get unlucky in the draft of course but its better to take a shot then just be perpetually mediocre which is the only other choice.

Also cap room is now open to take on bad contracts for more picks

That doesn't excite me honestly. That means whoever comes here are pretty crappy players that we will be playing unless they are hurt. We have lots of draft capital in the next few years, and if we have to sit through more seasons of others junk being on our actual playing roster I think I would have to cry.

Reactions: norrisnick

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
I think Steve saw the team poised to make a playoff push then suddenly choke it away and decided it reminded him too much of the Lions so entered full on sell mode. Hopefully the scenario you describe comes to pass.

I agree with wolves, Ottawa is likely entering an era as a very strong team, provided they keep it together.

Honestly I'd bet his plan didn't change too much based on that hot streak and then two blowout losses. At least I hope the GM isn't making decisions based on the roller coaster of emotions we all ride here.

Earlier this season we were celebrating that the Wings were gonna make the playoffs, shortly after that it was "oh no it was just an easy schedule! we suck again burn it to the ground," now we're back to "we're gonna make the playoffs!!!"

Through all of that what didn't change is the lack of top end talent on the roster. Hronek was really the only surprise move here. Negotiations with Bertuzzi had stalled so the Wings were likely going to lose him for nothing this summer. They signed Walman who has been a great surprise and locked up Larkin.

To me it's all still been incremental steps, which I think Yzerman will continue with and then make a bold move or two when the opportunity is there.

With Bert and Hronek there's some holes to fill for sure. It should be an interesting summer.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
You are right, but they can get to the floor with short term stuff. I meant stay away from 3-5 year contracts.

Fair enough. Im struggling to see how Larkin fits in at this point. If Yzerman is kicking the can another 2+ years Larkin will be on the cusp of 30. Not "too old" but reaching the end of his prime years. Seems kind of odd to extend larkin but then ship off all the "higher" end NHL pieces we have.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Honestly I'd bet his plan didn't change too much based on that hot streak and then two blowout losses. At least I hope the GM isn't making decisions based on the roller coaster of emotions we all ride here.

Earlier this season we were celebrating that the Wings were gonna make the playoffs, shortly after that it was "oh no it was just an easy schedule! we suck again burn it to the ground," now we're back to "we're gonna make the playoffs!!!"

Through all of that what didn't change is the lack of top end talent on the roster. Hronek was really the only surprise move here. Negotiations with Bertuzzi had stalled so the Wings were likely going to lose him for nothing this summer. They signed Walman who has been a great surprise and locked up Larkin.

To me it's all still been incremental steps, which I think Yzerman will continue with and then make a bold move or two when the opportunity is there.

With Bert and Hronek there's some holes to fill for sure. It should be an interesting summer.
If you listen to Steve on the Agent Provocateur Podcast a week or so ago, he talks about all the scouts and things getting together for their Jan meeting and making a plan for the deadline and start of offseason. And then the team played well, so they sat back and paused a bit and were now in a bit of uncertainty. Those losses just made them go back to their original plan.

Fair enough. Im struggling to see how Larkin fits in at this point. If Yzerman is kicking the can another 2+ years Larkin will be on the cusp of 30. Not "too old" but reaching the end of his prime years. Seems kind of odd to extend larkin but then ship off all the "higher" end NHL pieces we have.
Larkin is the adult in the room that as captain takes all the off-ice pressure off the younger guys that will hopefully be carrying the load. Mo, Ray, Ed, Kasper, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille