Yzerman Press Conference at 5:45

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Am I the only one that's fine with Wings coverage not being toxic and confrontational like Toronto or New York?

I'm getting my fluff piece sports updates here. Boys hitting rubber with stick gliding on metal blades. I'm not terribly concerned how the sausage is made and not sure we have any right to it, given it's an entertainment business. This isn't the White House press corps.
I'm not complaining about the soft coverage. Just saying that the players don't have any room to complain either.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Am I the only one that's fine with Wings coverage not being toxic and confrontational like Toronto or New York?

I'm getting my fluff piece sports updates here. Boys hitting rubber with stick gliding on metal blades. I'm not terribly concerned how the sausage is made and not sure we have any right to it, given it's an entertainment business. This isn't the White House press corps.

I like that we don't have the Kessel hot dog story and things of that nature.

I also have to roll my eyes at times when you're watching the post-game and they are working in concert to all write a Tyler Bertuzzi fluff piece after we just got our faces kicked in 5-2.

Reactions: Ricelund

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I like that we don't have the Kessel hot dog story and things of that nature.

I also have to roll my eyes at times when you're watching the post-game and they are working in concert to all write a Tyler Bertuzzi fluff piece after we just got our faces kicked in 5-2.

Agreed one the first point, no doubt. That's mainly the kind of thing I'm happy we don't have.

As for the second, sure, I get it. I think it would take a tremendously delicate balance to write insightful pieces. Not sure we have a guy who can do that outside of maybe Mitch Albom?

I'm sure some of you will eviscerate me for that, but I've always enjoyed his work.

Reactions: Ricelund

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com

There are things you get tough about.

You don't go getting tough in a post-game interview on Larkin after Howard lets in 3 softies in the first period.

The tough question should be Blashill. Why do you keep playing Howard?
Or Yzerman. How long can you keep playing Howard to the detriment of the team?

But you don't start flexing your muscles in post-game interviews with players who have no f***ing control of the shitshow.

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
Agreed one the first point, no doubt. That's mainly the kind of thing I'm happy we don't have.

As for the second, sure, I get it. I think it would take a tremendously delicate balance to write insightful pieces. Not sure we have a guy who can do that outside of maybe Mitch Albom?

I'm sure some of you will eviscerate me for that, but I've always enjoyed his work.

It'd be nice to get some insight straight from those involved, even if they only leave bread crumbs. And you can't even get that if you don't ask fair, substantive and meaningful questions, which some of them actually do. But, I mean, softballs like that Detroit homegrown crap are just stale. It doesn't really matter right now.

And then Re: Mitch Albom - You would, haha. His work is alright at times. He certainly has a base audience.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
The sports reporting is the same everywhere other than crazy hotbed cities.
Stock questions. Canned responses.

It’s almost like sports is entirely entertainment and not super serious.

I mean, I know that I’m just gonna look back at the past decade later on in life and say “man, the Wings were dogshit, but I really liked Larkin and Mantha.”

Kind of like when I think of the early 90s before the Cups happened.

Chaisson was kinda cool, Probert beat the f*** out of people and Stevie Y was unstoppable. Oh, and Cheveldae is crap and is a sieve that couldn’t stop a beach ball.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Now where's my evisceration ray...
DependablePrestigiousIbizanhound-size_restricted.gif

Oops. Wrong ray.

c532072bc68b074b1025f398629f6bef.jpeg

Dang it, wrong Ray again. One more time...

tumblr_p9znq86j6P1qmob6ro1_400.gifv

:facepalm: Close enough...

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
There are things you get tough about.

You don't go getting tough in a post-game interview on Larkin after Howard lets in 3 softies in the first period.

The tough question should be Blashill. Why do you keep playing Howard?
Or Yzerman. How long can you keep playing Howard to the detriment of the team?

But you don't start flexing your muscles in post-game interviews with players who have no f***ing control of the shitshow.

I get nothing out of that. They play Howard even in last year because he’s on the roster. And they tried at various times to make moves to bring in alternatives to Howard. Comrie was less than trash and Calvin Pickard wasn’t any better than Howard. By the time an alarm was sent up on Howard having one of the worst years in team history... the Wings were already DOA even in Bernier’s better games.

As evidence by looking at any of the Detroit teams, specifically the Lions are bad about this, you can say the exact same thing to journalists no matter the question. Like we didn’t win because we didn’t execute and that’s my fault. I’ve heard that about ninety-five times in the past decade from a Lions coach.

I’m not remotely interested in “tough hitting questions” in sports media. Because the answer for why you’re not moving or burying a guy is usually pretty simple and I don’t want or need to have guys try to weasel their way out of giving answers in postgame settings.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage

Max at the Athletic is great. He asks good questions and ultimately that's all I really want. I don't pay much attention to the other stuff.

Reactions: Bench

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
On the topic of beatwriters, I think Bultman is the best at the moment.

Bruce MacLeod was the best I can remember.

I think Khan is the best still, even though he has to split his time with b-ball.

Max asked about Svech, Smith and Cholo though at the press conference, today. Good stuff from him.

cjeagle

Jul 10, 2016
Chicago

I mean, I know that I’m just gonna look back at the past decade later on in life and say “man, the Wings were dogshit, but I really liked Larkin and Mantha.”

Kind of like when I think of the early 90s before the Cups happened.

Chaisson was kinda cool, Probert beat the f*** out of people and Stevie Y was unstoppable. Oh, and Cheveldae is crap and is a sieve that couldn’t stop a beach ball.

Probie was one of the most feared players in the NHL at that time, but man he and his drinking buddies set up a bad example for the rest of the younger Redwings.

We wouldn't have had to trade(and getting fleeced doing so) Adam Oates who ended up having a Hall of Fame career elsewhere if it weren't for their late night antics.

We probably would have won the Stanley Cup earlier too considering how many problems we gave the Edmonton Oilers at that time during the Conference Finals which the Oiler players themselves admitted to. In terms of talent the Redwings nearly matched Gretzky and company(many of whom ended up in the Hall of Fame) during that time. When asked which team gave them the most trouble during the Oilers Stanley Cup run, Gretzky and company always brought up the young Redwings team they faced in that conference final as their main rival.

Last edited:

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Yzerman holds all the cards, he can sit back & wait for the phones to ring. The clock is ticking for the desperate GM's. I'd like to see a bidding war on capspace for capdumps & casualties.
There aren't any. Every team is now within a million of the cap aside from Arizona who has Hossa's LTIR contract. Go look on CapFriendly.

I told you multiple times that teams will dump assets for cheap than pay a 1st rounder to dump salary. There may still be some small deals to be made for players like Jensen, that's about it.

Can't believe you're still yammering on about cap dumps.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
There aren't any. Every team is now within a million of the cap aside from Arizona who has Hossa's LTIR contract. Go look on CapFriendly.

I told you multiple times that teams will dump assets for cheap than pay a 1st rounder to dump salary. There may still be some small deals to be made for players like Jensen, that's about it.

Can't believe you're still yammering on about cap dumps.
Wait 'til the offseason is over, then maybe it changes or not. Not to mention the next 2 offseasons after that, when more RFA's & UFA's are due for raises + ELC's ending etc. We're only at the starting line of a marathon.

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida
Probie was one of the most feared players in the NHL at that time, but man he and his drinking buddies set up a bad example for the rest of the younger Redwings.

We wouldn't have had to trade(and getting fleeced doing so) Adam Oates who ended up having a Hall of Fame career elsewhere if it weren't for their late night antics.

We probably would have won the Stanley Cup earlier too considering how many problems we gave the Edmonton Oilers at that time during the Conference Finals which the Oiler players themselves admitted to. In terms of talent the Redwings nearly matched Gretzky and company(many of whom ended up in the Hall of Fame) during that time. When asked which team gave them the most trouble during the Oilers Stanley Cup run, Gretzky and company always brought up the young Redwings team they faced in that conference final as their main rival.

Edit: misread the intent of your post. Ignore

From my understanding Oates was also shipped out due to extracurricular activities involving a stop at the border

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan
yup. which is why i can't get myself to care all that much about sports reporting. Pretty much every interview you see across any sports team with a player or management is exactly the same questions and answers

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Wait 'til the offseason is over, then maybe it changes or not. Not to mention the next 2 offseasons after that, when more RFA's & UFA's are due for raises + ELC's ending etc. We're only at the starting line of a marathon.
If there's arena attendance again, I see us picking up talent for cheap, not taking on big cap dumps. More like getting Schmidt for a 3rd round or TJ for free, that kinda trade. We have 10 UFAs, lots of open roster space, and a good time to upgrade on Biega, Merrill, Erne, Helm, Flip, Gagner, etc. Next year is the opportunity to build a real supporting roster, not take cap dumps.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
The Athletic likes to think they've done something differently.
But go through, team by team.
All the beatwriters are singing the praises of their GMs' signings.

Even the f***ing Habs, who are spending $14.5M on goalies and then went and overpaid for f***ing Josh Anderson in a trade... and then drastically overpaid him...Even their beat writer shows few hints of critical thought.

"The Canadiens enter free agency in an ideal position.
No, their team is not necessarily ideal. They could use some help in certain areas still, but it is more their state of mind that is in a good place for when the free-agent market opens at noon ET on Friday."

Basu talks about a bit of risk once Anderson is over 30... not mentioning Anderson was garbage at age 25 or whatever he is.

"In the meantime, however, he is an important addition for the Canadiens, and the AAV comes in right around where it should have been expected with Anderson so close to unrestricted free agency."

Joke.
Josh Anderson has scored 20 goals ONCE in his career. And he's coming off a season where he scored ONE GOAL in 26 games.

This isn't reporting. It's asslicking.

People can talk about how they don't mind fluff or don't see value in hard questions - or questions that might shine a bit more light on the truth... which is the point of "hard questions."

But what's the point of reading this stuff? Let alone paying to read it?
How can every Athletic beat writer be writing about the GM they cover is shrewd or improving their team and doing good things?

Give me Art Regner - an unabashed slappie - if this is the best we can do.

It's only f***ing sports.
So it's not serious.
But f***. It's serious enough that millions of us motherf***ers argue about it every day. And that's why these yahoos get paid to write about it.
So try writing some truth.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
Josh Anderson Stats | Hockey-Reference.com

This guy, garbage at 25.

Andreas Athanasiou Stats | Hockey-Reference.com

This guy, only bad because of a douchebag coach.

You may want to try this truth thing yourself.

E: I agree with your premise on the inanity of the Athletic tho. What is the point of reading it and paying to read it if it just angers you? Anderson's contract is bad from the moment it was signed... but if you're a beat writer for a team, you're not going to say "HEY THIS GUY THE TEAM TRADED FOR IS CRAP AND LOL AT THEM FOR SIGNING HIM TO A BAD EXTENSION"

Last edited:

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
beat writer shows few hints of critical thought
Joke.
This isn't reporting. It's asslicking.
And that's why these yahoos get paid to write about it.

Are you aware how bitter and envious you sound every single time you sound off on actually successful sports journalists?

But f***. It's serious enough that millions of us motherf***ers argue about it every day.

No, see, that's why so many of us like it. It legitimately doesn't matter. It's entertainment - full stop.

And I was a lot more invested in the the HBO series Chernobyl than anything the Wings have produced in the last decade.

Reactions: tsweeney

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad