Yzerman Press Conference at 5:45

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
This f***ing goofballs all act like they want to work for the Wings PR staff.
So boring.

...Welp, yeah, maybe they actually do in a way.

"In order to get media access you can only ask pre-approved questions."

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
I lost the Svechnikov part it skipped, but it was interesting that he knew pretty confidently that "Dennis is in town."

Pretty confident they're going to give Cholowski every opportunity.
Merrill apparently plays LD and RD.
Staal can sit.
Or maybe there are injuries.
However, Maybe CHolo won't get much rope.

Mine skipped on Chevy too.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
...Welp, yeah, maybe they actually do in a way.

"In order to get media access you can only ask pre-approved questions."

If they pulled that shit, sports editors would go to war with them, I think.
Unless nobody has a spine at the Freep anymore.

It's amazing they ask all these weak-ass questions. What do they get for it? When the Wings sign a UFA, do the local reporters get tipped off first? Nope.
Do the local reporters ever get tipped off first about draft picks? Nope.

FabricDetails

Mar 30, 2009
If they pulled that shit, sports editors would go to war with them, I think.
Unless nobody has a spine at the Freep anymore.

Enh. Did they ever have one? At least as far as Red Wings writers go.

Tetsuo

Boss of a Pile of Rubble
Apr 11, 2018
Michigan
Pretty confident they're going to give Cholowski every opportunity.
Merrill apparently plays LD and RD.
Staal can sit.
Or maybe there are injuries.
However, Maybe CHolo won't get much rope.

Mine skipped on Chevy too.
If there's a full season I've heard speculation that there will be an expanded roster and frequent back to back games in order to fit everything to as normal of a schedule as possible. I'm guessing that in order to keep players fresh they may have to have a rotating squad, which would allow for the young guns to at least get some exposure. At least Cholo will get a shot, hopefully he's finally able to put it all together.

Reactions: MBH

FabricDetails

Mar 30, 2009
Gave did. Even as he did the Wings' bidding to bring the Russian 5 here.
I don't think professional journalists would submit to prescreened questions.

Yeah I was just thinking of Gave too. I think he was one who thought the Wings were a little "too European" after 96. Not sure about anyone else.

Reactions: MBH

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Gave did. Even as he did the Wings' bidding to bring the Russian 5 here.
I don't think professional journalists would submit to prescreened questions.

I think it is interesting when you watch some of our young guys. I have seen both Mantha and Larkin essentially kill super friends stories or make sure their name wasn't in it during post-games. The Detroit Red Wings control their media with an iron fist. Honestly they have since Yzerman's near trade to Ottawa. It is what shifted that room in a lot of ways because Stevie really did change how the media was allowed to cover the team. They seem to be given their stories, Max Bultman now seems the guy challenged with that and I do think that is a lot to ask of a guy in his mid-20s but he at least isn't giving the stock pre-approved questions. I will be curious to watch this with Larkin next season, because on several nights you could see him getting annoyed with the media direction of how the team was about to be covered in my opinion.

Reactions: hkydave04 and MBH

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I will be curious to watch this with Larkin next season, because on several nights you could see him getting annoyed with the media direction of how the team was about to be covered in my opinion.
Then he needs some thicker skin. With how awful that roster was, the media was charmin soft on them.

Yeah, nobody likes answering the same questions about the same losses. But if any of the players thought the team was treated unfairly, they should watch coverage in New York or Philadelphia.

FabricDetails

Mar 30, 2009
Then he needs some thicker skin. With how awful that roster was, the media was charmin soft on them.

Yeah, nobody likes answering the same questions about the same losses. But if any of the players thought the team was treated unfairly, they should watch coverage in New York or Philadelphia.

Toronto says hi. Woof.

Reactions: jkutswings

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com

What I don't understand is this bullshit...
Going up to Kronwall or Larkin or whoever

Player says.
"We have to work hard for all 60 minutes and we're not doing that."
Helene says
"You said that last night. Why isn't that message getting through?"

Like, f*** you, Helene.
Why weren't you busting the balls of Holland or Yzerman when they did absolutely nothing in free agency or in trades?

Why were you trumpeting the playoff streak instead of questioning why the rebuild wasn't starting? Or why Holland was trading away picks and young assets long after they should have been?

Now you're going to stick it to hockey players getting beat up on a bad hockey team???

Reactions: Realgud

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

I don't think it is tougher skin. I think Larkin actually looks annoyed they are writing another development piece or they want to write about him having a big game when they have lost for the 8th straight time. Those were the nights I noticed it with Larkin. I don't think Dylan Larkin is soft and I actually hope once they slap the C on him, he gets a little rougher with these guys from time to time.

The Wings have a nice media in an O6 market, frankly that is probably a good thing big picture. But it can be frustrating in terms of having honest interviews and discussions.

I have just come to accept that is how the team is covered by the local media. I think it is pretty sad, I do enjoy Max's coverage for the Athletic, I have really stopped reading the other guys/gals. Our media situation evolved overtime, as long as the journalists are comfortable with that arrangement I don't see the Wings wanting to lose their power dynamic. I don't think it is an accident Yzerman hasn't changed how our local media seems to be operating at all. He seems cools with that, again a lot of it stems from him as a player, but it is interesting, that was a part of how we operate he seems fully onboard with.

Last edited:

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Should skip to the question after hitting play. Chevy has been in "several different locations." Nothing new.

Man is that an example of him becoming even more cryptic. Now we got guys moving around and it is a good thing. Not going to discuss his location Stevie...:laugh:

I really do think Yzerman is starting to like the secrecy stuff. It was a thing in Tampa, but I think it has kicked up even another notch or two with him in Detroit, he is playing into it more in my opinion.

Reactions: FabricDetails

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Man is that an example of him becoming even more cryptic. Now we got guys moving around and it is a good thing. Not going to discuss his location Stevie...:laugh:

I really do think Yzerman is starting to like the secrecy stuff. It was a thing in Tampa, but I think it has kicked up even another notch or two with him in Detroit, he is playing into it more in my opinion.
I wish I could tell you more...

our-apologies-but-thats-g14-classified.jpg

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Am I the only one that's fine with Wings coverage not being toxic and confrontational like Toronto or New York?

I'm getting my fluff piece sports updates here. Boys hitting rubber with stick gliding on metal blades. I'm not terribly concerned how the sausage is made and not sure we have any right to it, given it's an entertainment business. This isn't the White House press corps.

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
Am I the only one that's fine with Wings coverage not being toxic and confrontational like Toronto or New York?

I'm getting my fluff piece sports updates here. Boys hitting rubber with stick gliding on metal blades. I'm not terribly concerned how the sausage is made and not sure we have any right to it, given it's an entertainment business. This isn't the White House press corps.
The sports reporting is the same everywhere other than crazy hotbed cities.
Stock questions. Canned responses.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad