Rumor: Yzerman interested in Rangers job?

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
This is nothing more than the relevant parties using the GM situation in NY as a means of avoiding any more appearances of impropriety, IMO. This news came out like a week ago - not long after Pierre McGuire got on TSN and started talking about Yzerman going to Detroit as though it were a done deal. This just reeks of damage control and little more.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Literally the whole reason he stepped down from the Tampa job is so he could spend more time in Detroit lol.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Can't I do both?

Because that team is starving for some modern success.

They're about to get Kakko so they're going to be a team to look out in a few years.
Their GM recognized that time to rebuild while they were just ok and they going to have 8 first round picks just in 3 years.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
This, No way i see Yzerma leaving Tampa for the Rangers.

I want to point out there is zero evidence for this and I've fabricated this from my imagination, but the "only way" would be if Holland digs his feet in and wants to retain oversight in Detroit. That's the only scenario I can see Yzerman not coming home.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
I want to point out there is zero evidence for this and I've fabricated this from my imagination, but the "only way" would be if Holland digs his feet in and wants to retain oversight in Detroit. That's the only scenario I can see Yzerman not coming home.
Same here, Yzermans dream was always to be the GM of the Wings. And i seriously doubt that has changed. Yzerman might be looking at the Presidency of the Rangers. He'd be a fool not to inquire on it. But when all is said and done. I still think he becomes our next GM. Too many insiders are all pretty much said that it's a done deal for him to become Detroit's next GM.

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
Yzerman, Holland, and Co. are certainly aware of all the rumours about Yzerman coming back, and all the buzz/hype it has caused. And rather than firmly deny all rumours and put a stop to it, they've remained mostly mum about it. For that reason I don't think Yzerman would even consider going anywhere but the Wings. He has a 100% pristine reputation in Detroit, I imagine that still means quite a lot to him. It's still his home after all.

So given that Wings fans have been hyping themselves up for the return of the prodigal son for a year now, can you imagine if this happened:

giphy.gif

I'm sure many (like myself) would respect that it's his choice and we're not entitled to him and that it changes nothing about his time here. But not all sports fans are rational, especially if they feel 'scorned'. There would be some sore feelings for a vocal contingent and it would affect Yzerman's status to some unknown degree.

Right now the narrative remains that Stevie is a Detroit boy through and through, and only left for Tampa to be a GM because it couldn't happen in Detroit, and did so with the blessing of the Illitches. But hard to imagine that reputation not taking a slight hit if the runway's all clear for a return to Detroit and he instead chooses a franchise he has no connection to (apart from fleecing in trades). If he was considering going to another team I think they would have done more to quell the hype. So he's either retiring to Detroit (less likely), or rejoining the team (more likely).

This also fits in with the rumours he wants to be closer to his family, which was the problem in Tampa. If he was willing to work away from home, why would he leave Tampa Bay for New York in 2019? It makes no sense to leave a team you built that is right in the middle of its Cup window for a team just starting its rebuild.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
Same here, Yzermans dream was always to be the GM of the Wings. And i seriously doubt that has changed. Yzerman might be looking at the Presidency of the Rangers. He'd be a fool not to inquire on it. But when all is said and done. I still think he becomes our next GM. Too many insiders are all pretty much said that it's a done deal for him to become Detroit's next GM.
How do you know that's his "dream"? That's what we are hoping. No proof to this though.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Hugh Mongusbig

Mar 7, 2012
TB fans seem to be gathering up their pitch forks and are now claiming Yzerman left them straddled with a bunch of dead weight, long term contracts for a bunch of guys who can't perform in the playoffs. Its getting ugly in the TB threads, haha.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
TB fans seem to be gathering up their pitch forks and are now claiming Yzerman left them straddled with a bunch of dead weight, long term contracts for a bunch of guys who can't perform in the playoffs. Its getting ugly in the TB threads, haha.
It's funny how that happens. I bet they weren't feeling that way up til April 7th.

Maybe Yzerman can suit up for them as a 54 year old with no knees and show the Lightning roster what it takes to win in the playoffs.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia

If I’m ownership, I shoot Holland out of a cannon in that scenario.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

SimonEdvinssonAtSix

It's possible to commit no mistakes and still lose
Nov 2, 2018
If I’m ownership, I shoot Holland out of a cannon in that scenario.

To be honest, I think they just might. Hollands comments have been telling imo. "I'm the GM until I'm not the GM & I'm going to GM Detroit until someone tells me I'm not GM" (paraphrasing)
My gut tells me ownership wants Yzerman back at all costs. It's amazing from a PR perspective and buys back the fans. It gives ownership several years to rebuild without disgruntled fans. I may be wrong but we will see.

marcmadsen

Sep 29, 2016
To be honest, I think they just might. Hollands comments have been telling imo. "I'm the GM until I'm not the GM & I'm going to GM Detroit until someone tells me I'm not GM" (paraphrasing)
My gut tells me ownership wants Yzerman back at all costs. It's amazing from a PR perspective and buys back the fans. It gives ownership several years to rebuild without disgruntled fans. I may be wrong but we will see.
I think you're right. But at the same time, can anyone potentially forsee a sharing of duties? What would everyone's reaction be if Yzerman was named President of Hockey Operations with Holland remaining as GM but reporting to Yzerman?

I'm not saying that's what will happen. But I'm just floating the idea out there.

SimonEdvinssonAtSix

It's possible to commit no mistakes and still lose
Nov 2, 2018
I think you're right. But at the same time, can anyone potentially forsee a sharing of duties? What would everyone's reaction be if Yzerman was named President of Hockey Operations with Holland remaining as GM but reporting to Yzerman?

I'm not saying that's what will happen. But I'm just floating the idea out there.

For me, that is a great outcome. If Yzerman was the head cheese with Holland doing the day to day stuff, that would be fine. I don't know if Holland would accept that scenario though. Yzerman would have to employ full control and ultimate say, would Ken Holland let that happen?! I don't know. But if he would, let's not pretend Holland isn't a great hockey mind, and with Yzerman calling the shots those 2 would be a powerhouse tandem.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I have a difficult time picturing the man who allegedly refused to step aside via promotion for Yzerman to become a GM under him, to then be cool with Yzerman coming back as his new boss. Everybody likes to paint a picture of being buddies, but these are guys without any deficiency in the ego department.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad