Rumor: Yzerman interested in Rangers job?

SimonEdvinssonAtSix

It's possible to commit no mistakes and still lose
Nov 2, 2018
I have a difficult time picturing the man who allegedly refused to step aside via promotion for Yzerman to become a GM under him, to then be cool with Yzerman coming back as his new boss. Everybody likes to paint a picture of being buddies, but these are guys without any deficiency in the ego department.

This is most likely to be truth. I think the common held scenario of Yzerman to Detroit / Holland to somewhere else is what we will see.

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016
I know everybody wants Holland gone. But there's a potential scenario where Holland keeps his current titles without blocking a yzerman return.

Devellano steps down as Senior VP. He's 76, mostly just a figurehead here, while also holding multiple other titles with Tigers and Spirit.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
I have a difficult time picturing the man who allegedly refused to step aside via promotion for Yzerman to become a GM under him, to then be cool with Yzerman coming back as his new boss. Everybody likes to paint a picture of being buddies, but these are guys without any deficiency in the ego department.

I feel like it's worth mentioning here that that was 9 years ago,that's a very long time(and things were radically different then,Holland was less than a year from a SCF appearance at the time)

who would want to move out of the GM role in Hollands position 9 years ago? not very many people

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I feel like it's worth mentioning here that that was 9 years ago,that's a very long time(and things were radically different then,Holland was less than a year from a SCF appearance at the time)

who would want to move out of the GM role in Hollands position 9 years ago? not very many people
I don't blame him. But I also wouldn't expect him to want to cede power any less today.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

Yzerman has been his boss with Team Canada. I don't think Holland would have a big problem reporting to Yzerman if that is the power structure proposed. Also, nobody said Holland has to like that power dynamic, I just doubt it would be a huge problem for him. I am not sure Holland loves the situation he is in post Mike Ilitch anyway for the record. Stevie and him look at the game pretty similarly though, you might have a few disagreements but I don't think the number would be substantial and a bad working environment.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009

I never understood why anyone would reasonably expect Holland to step aside for Yzerman (or anyone else)? This was rumored to happen in 2009 I believe, right after the Wings made the Stanley Cup finals for the 2nd straight season.

In what world would it make sense for the GM who led his team to two straight Cup finals (not evening mentioning his previous accomplishments from pre-cap) to step down at that time?

I don't think it was a matter of "I don't want this guy to be my boss," it was a matter of "I'm running the most successful team in the NHL right now, why would I step down again? I like my job and i'm doing great at it."

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI
I never understood why anyone would reasonably expect Holland to step aside for Yzerman (or anyone else)? This was rumored to happen in 2009 I believe, right after the Wings made the Stanley Cup finals for the 2nd straight season.

In what world would it make sense for the GM who led his team to two straight Cup finals (not evening mentioning his previous accomplishments from pre-cap) to step down at that time?

I don't think it was a matter of "I don't want this guy to be my boss," it was a matter of "I'm running the most successful team in the NHL right now, why would I step down again? I like my job and i'm doing great at it."

Not to mention he was only in his early 50's at the time. It wasn't like he was a 76 year old Lou Lam.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
I can honestly see it happening.

I can see KH wanna see this through another year especially after how we performed down the stretch.

With some of the young guys he has drafted and the picks this summer plus cap space I can see him wanting this opportunity.

Couple that with watching underdog teams go from outside to knocking off giants in just 1 year it reinforces his belief, just make the playoffs and anything can happen..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad