GDT: YST G3 | Oilers vs. Canucks | 3:00PM | Streamed

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
The reffing has been pretty bad, but it's expected in a tourny like this....Oh wait the NHL has trash reffing anyways, We know the pain also, trust me.

ala bruins.

Update: But still no need for gooning it up with 2 min left in the game, Why are the two oilers goons on the ice in a 5-2 game anyways?, Pretty dumb coaching, No need to send a message at this level.

Anyways, good game guys, GL in the next game.

Last edited:

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
The reffing has been pretty bad, but it's expected in a tourny like this....Oh wait the NHL has trash reffing anyways, We know the pain also, trust me.

ala bruins.

Anyways, good game guys, GL in the next game.

Yup, it's unfortunate when a good game has the stain of **** reffing. Good job by the Nuck prospects.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
First solid game from our guys. Enough upside on a few that the tourney wasn't completely useless I suppose.

Sucks not to get the win.

Third period decided by refs is extreme ********.

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
reffing was pretty bad.
I wonder what the score would have been if Subban, Shinkaruk and Horvat played lol
scary !

Pennertration

Oct 25, 2007
Calgary
Are you guys seriously evaluating players and prospect depth based on this tourney? This is one of many "evaluation" stations in a player's career and really, it's a relatively minor one. Essentially this gives the team a look at these guys so they can give them marching orders on areas to improve during the actual season, which matters way more than a summer exhibition tournament.

Can't wait to hear this tourney referenced later in the season as old grudges are dredged up.

Didn't Lander dominate this thing a couple years ago - now he's a whipping boy.

stratedge

My relationship with the Oilers is abusive.
Jul 25, 2007
Calgary, AB
+1 to liking to listen Eakins talk. it's borderline Hollywood blockbuster monologue worthy every time.

curmudgeon mode on: know who was the guy well known for being a good speaker? Ralph Krueger.

I honestly never thought Krueger was a good speaker, to me it was like listening to a salesman spit out a lot of words and never say anything of substance.

Pennertration

Oct 25, 2007
Calgary
I honestly never thought Krueger was a good speaker, to me it was like listening to a salesman spit out a lot of words and never say anything of substance.

MacT was and is a Mac when it comes to speaking. Krueger is Mr. Positivity, not that there's anything wrong with that.

stratedge

My relationship with the Oilers is abusive.
Jul 25, 2007
Calgary, AB
MacT was and is a Mac when it comes to speaking. Krueger is Mr. Positivity, not that there's anything wrong with that.

That's the thing I like about Eakins, though: it's not all peaches and cream. It's a nice change and I think an NHL coach has to be a hard ass.

timekeep

Apr 28, 2010

Exactly, he was a story teller, just like the President to the South.

Patch101

Feb 27, 2002
Kamloops
I just got back from watching the Jets vs Oil and Oil vs Canucks.

Gatta say the Jets have some nice skill, some big physical players coming down the pipes.

All in all, there was only one player who stood out among the rest for me and that was Nurse. He already has some NHL abilities he just needs to fill out, his skating is very very good.

Marcincin was probably 2nd best, he has nice stick handling.

Klefbom has nice overall ability, but he need time. He was off with his passes, positioning, it might be an adjustment thing but he needs time for sure.

Musil/Gernat, they do nothing flashy as advertised, physical SAHD, Gernat more so than Musil .... still need a bit of development.

Khaira, nice size, good at separating, lousy skater.

Roy, has some nice skill set, be interested to see how he develops.

Kessy, better than I expected, big, mean, hits, fights. He's a ton better than Abney I'll tell yah.

Palazzese isn't a bad goalie, Cadorette not so much

Chase, isn't afraid to be physical or be a pest, goes to the front of the net.

Someone tell me more about Kyle Platzer? He scored a couple of goals, but was didn't really notice him otherwise.

Ty Bilcke had some nice forcheck/physical moments. Kinda fizzled out as the game went.

Didn't really notice much from anyone else. I'll go back n say that Nurse (for me) was the only prospect of note. Really like him.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Should it surprise anyone? Don't the Bears usually beat the rookies?

Yeah but this is far from a primo Golden Bears squad. They've had lots better teams than this where they were untouchable.

But anyway I feel like cheering for the ol Bears squad, Its hard to like this Oilers replacements version. What did we get outscored in the tournament, 17-4? Something like that. Dismal.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Just watched the game..

The good
Marco Roy - This guy looks like a steal already. I think he should get a good look for making the team this year. I don't want them to rush him but I want him to get a good amount of pre-season games at least. Maybe even 9 regular season.. Possible candidate for World Juniors?
Jujhar Khaira - Just a solid player with good hockey sense and size
Kyle Platzer - Not as good as last game but scored and stood out to me again
Brandon Davidson - First period wasn't great but he started jumping in the play and making passes instead of flipping the puck into open areas
Travis Ewanyk - Very noticeable.. good fighter and pest. Not a bad skater either and got some pucks to the net
Darnell Nurse - I'm happy with his performance. He was always jumping up in the play and skating well. Noticed a good hipcheck also.
The goalie - Best performance yet from a goalie. Made some great saves and didn't deserve the 5 GA.

The ok
Andrew Miller - Good skater and had the puck lots. Some good plays, some bad. Still disappointed.. I expected more.
Greg Chase - Like Ewanyk he's always running his mouth but I still don't have a great read on how his skating and puck skills are.
Kale Kessy - He's playing his role and using his size not just with physical play but he seems decent at protecting the puck

The bad
Martin Gernat - Slow skater and slow decision maker. Looks awkward out there.
Cam Abney - Takes dumb penalties and can't play hockey
David Musil - I see him getting beat a lot on the outside. He's slow and can't contain speed on the rush. Not good with the puck either. Rattie or Jenner would look nice right about now

Jejune

Mar 7, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
After watching the three games, the guys I'm most impressed with are:

Roy: He's got good vision, incredibly speedy, plays hard and has a good shot. I don't know what's not to like here, he's not even that small. He already looks better than Cogliano ever did.

Platzer: Didn't notice him too much in the first game, but in the second game he made a move early that was a high skill play, made me check to see who #71 was. He then scored a beauty and seemed to play pretty hard, should put up a good year with London this year.

Khaira: I'd give him a B. Showed some nice flashes however the play died on his stick a few times and he seems to have a penchant for taking it behind the net into bodies and losing it. He was however faster than I thought he would be, and showed a nice shot in the game against Vancouver.

Nurse: In the second game he played, he was quite good. Fast, great passing. He just needs a lot of pounds.

Davidson: A lot more skilled than I thought he would be, I was expecting a Musil type but he showed great stickhandling and was very quick. I wouldn't count this guy out.

I was hoping for more from Houck (didn't notice him at all), Kessy (not a ton of skill, weak shot), Ewanyk (seemed to stop skating and having to start again in the neutral zone) and Schaber (showed a couple flashes but overall pretty ineffective).

Didn't actually think they played that badly. The other teams seemed to be quite opportunistic in their scoring, and I think if that team continued on they would have had some wins. They didn't look extremely outclassed to me.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
Hah, the U of A game is on Tuesday. It wouldn't surprise me in the least to see the Bears shellack these guys.

i think that's pretty much a given. don't the bears usually win this game? the one game bears/Oil rooks game i attended the bears schooled them. course that was when Laraque was a rookie.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad