GDT: YST G1 | Oilers vs. Canucks | 8:30PM | Streamed

Status
Not open for further replies.

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
it's really easy to just say that someone didn't try. i don't see why he would arbitrarily choose not to utilize his skillset; that reflects very poorly on the character of a player, imo. i don't see mcdavid as that type of player at all.

Dude...just stop. I like my fill of opposing teams fan's tears, believe me....but it gets embarrassing after a while.

Buh bye, and better luck going forward.:laugh:

oh...and

WOOO!
Ric-Flair-Woo.jpg

oilz89*

Exactly that. The way he's positioning himself, although compared to Kopitar in his draft year, is very different and won't translate as well as we've seen against peers his own age and development.

I'm still on the side that we should have drafted Bennett, and always have been, but he looked great tonight and I'm very happy to see how well he played.

I'm on the Leon side. Sure Bennetts looked great and he has that physical presence. However, he's a small guy. We need bigger forwards in the lineup. I think Leon needs a bit more development but he's something we've lacked sorely for a while imo

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Not a great argument, but I see the point. Looking back at that draft year, it's dart on a board. But seeing people on this board defend him year after year, especially when the reasoning behind drafting a player of his type holds no ground whatsoever is very irritating.

It's not even dart on a board. It's a barren wasteland.

There's basically 5 guys drafted after the middle of the 1st round who have played over half an NHL season to date.

Psychoil

Mar 10, 2011
you seem mad for some reason. i am just trying to rationally discuss my observations of a star player with the fans of his team.

i think mcdavid was phased by virtanen's hit and it affected his play throughout the remainder of the game, as his primary to nurse was a play anyone could have made, and his goal was a tap in on a random bounce. i think he was very much overshadowed throughout most of the game.

I remember my one buddy who said the same thing about sidney crosby in his first year. "anyone can make that pass". I think connor is on more often than he is off, and while he wasn't firing on all cylinders tonight, it's hardly a measure of what he will do in the nhl

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
you seem mad for some reason. i am just trying to rationally discuss my observations of a star player with the fans of his team.

i think mcdavid was phased by virtanen's hit and it affected his play throughout the remainder of the game, as his primary to nurse was a play anyone could have made, and his goal was a tap in on a random bounce. i think he was very much overshadowed throughout most of the game.

The shift immediately after the hit McDavid made a nice rush and totally dangled a Canuck at full speed at the blueline before getting checked.

Overshadowed by who/what? The Oilers totally dominated in every aspect. He barely even played once the score got out of hand.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown

You seem to hold your observations as fact, which is likely the worst position to hold on these boards.

You may not have watched the same game as anyone else in the world, in which I feel sorry for you, but your opinion does seem a bit invalid.

Maybe try and watch the archived game, and try again? That may be your best option. Especially considering the twisted conception of what you believe you watched tonight.

Even if 10% of what you believed to be true actually happened, the player you're referring to, Connor McDavid scored two points.

Two "gimme points"?

Sure. Let's pretend that is the case.

Hopefully, in the future you'll learn how to watch a hockey game, and appreciate the intricacies of a fairly simple pastime!

Good luck.

Zac Rinaldo*

I remember my one buddy who said the same thing about sidney crosby in his first year. "anyone can make that pass". I think connor is on more often than he is off, and while he wasn't firing on all cylinders tonight, it's hardly a measure of what he will do in the nhl

i agree with you in the sense that connor is a guy who you expect so much of that you're intrinsically geared up for an overwhelmingly noticeable performance. to me, after the virtanen hit, his level of play was lessened significantly. although it was very early on in the game, i think we saw two flashes of what he really is before then, and then he tailed off.

McDeathbyCheerios*

i agree with you in the sense that connor is a guy who you expect so much of that you're intrinsically geared up for an overwhelmingly noticeable performance. to me, after the virtanen hit, his level of play was lessened significantly. although it was very early on in the game, i think we saw two flashes of what he really is before then, and then he tailed off.
His level of play didn't change. This tournament is for teams to look at their prospects and he has literally nothing to prove.

Zac Rinaldo*

You seem to hold your observations as fact, which is likely the worst position to hold on these boards.

You may not have watched the same game as anyone else in the world, in which I feel sorry for you, but your opinion does seem a bit invalid.

Maybe try and watch the archived game, and try again? That may be your best option. Especially considering the twisted conception of what you believe you watched tonight.

Even if 10% of what you believed to be true actually happened, the player you're referring to, Connor McDavid scored two points.

Two "gimme points"?

Sure. Let's pretend that is the case.

Hopefully, in the future you'll learn how to watch a hockey game, and appreciate the intricacies of a fairly simple pastime!

Good luck.

actually, i watched the entire game, and paradoxically, your first two points are purely baseless assumptions that are fueled by your own personal sentiments regarding the player in question.

to me, he was not very good after the hit, and not particularly good in comparison to the other top six forwards on his team and also christoffer for the remainder of the game.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
If Canuck fans are going to find their way to put stock in some convoluted theory that Virtanen "got in McDavid's head" or some such, then they'd better put equal stock in the fact that their rookies got embarrassed 8-2 in the opening game of a tournament they're supposedly hosting.

Whatever your team was trying to achieve by running around like a pack of idiots, it didn't work. In fact, it failed on a spectacular level.

Juxta Position

Jul 2, 2006

It's funny you that about mcdavid, because I saw the exact same thing happen to virtanen. Virtanen started playing with his head on a swivel, after the oilers started getting after him, and he was much less effective for the rest of the night. His hit on mcdavid essentially took himself out of the game.

Old Boys Club

Anita Max Wynn
Nov 3, 2013
it's really easy to just say that someone didn't try. i don't see why he would arbitrarily choose not to utilize his skillset; that reflects very poorly on the character of a player, imo. i don't see mcdavid as that type of player at all.

Meanwhile, The Oilers are winning 6-2. We see McDavid take the puck from his own zone, advance through the neutral zone, dangle a few guys and then pass it off to Mitchell Moroz who can't put the puck in a gaping net.

Zac: "GOSH DANGIT MCDAVID WHY ARE YOU SO RATTLED, SERIOUSLY GET YOUR HEAD IN THE GAME DUDE. YOU CLEARLY ARE NOT USING YOUR SKILL-SET EFFECTIVELY"

Zac Rinaldo*

i never meant to rile you boys up. i'm so sorry. i was merely trying to talk some hockey.

Zac Rinaldo*

Fair. You weren't talking hockey. You were just saying the same thing with no discussion.

ah i see. well my discussion point is: i feel that mcdavid's play was subpar, especially after the hit on him by virtanen. the counterpoints i've seen thus far are that he was holding back, that he had 2 points, and that i am trolling. well, i am no troll.

smackdaddy

x – Edmonton
Nov 24, 2006
B.C.
ah i see. well my discussion point is: i feel that mcdavid's play was subpar, especially after the hit on him by virtanen. the counterpoints i've seen thus far are that he was holding back, that he had 2 points, and that i am trolling. well, i am no troll.

i've never seen mcdavid play live before but ive seen highlight videos. he was coasting the entire game playing a game of shinny.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille