Youth Tournament Tips

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
You should post some of those. Make sure they aren’t the ones funded by the companies that make the drinks, like your article that refuted nothing I said, stated.

Yes, the simple sugars break down quickly and end up causing blood sugar to drop rapidly causing a severe loss of energy. Yes, that sugar is going to help for a couple of shifts, but then destroy you for the rest of the game…unless you keep pushing sugar. Of course that leads o diabetes and obesity.
There are lots of articles, I read a few before I posted, and in almost every article they suggest they have short term benefit as long as used during the activity and not as a regular beverage. If you only drank gatorade during games, diabetes and obesity aren't going to be an issue.

ChuckLefley

Jan 5, 2016
There are lots of articles, I read a few before I posted, and in almost every article they suggest they have short term benefit as long as used during the activity and not as a regular beverage. If you only drank gatorade during games, diabetes and obesity aren't going to be an issue.
So you admit that they only have a short term benefit. In other words not good for playing a full game of hockey. I do like how you say, “there are lots of articles” but don’t post one.

The only real use for sugary drinks during a sports competition is if you are bonking and need a quick injection of energy to finish.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
You should post some of those. Make sure they aren’t the ones funded by the companies that make the drinks, like your article that refuted nothing I said, stated.

Yes, the simple sugars break down quickly and end up causing blood sugar to drop rapidly causing a severe loss of energy. Yes, that sugar is going to help for a couple of shifts, but then destroy you for the rest of the game…unless you keep pushing sugar. Of course that leads o diabetes and obesity.
I didn't really care enough to go back and look for the articles, but if you search the google, for benefits of sports drinks, lots come up.

And I would suggest specific to some sports with high, short burst intensity, would be the only ones that would see much benefit from those drinks. Like, any long distance racing, or any duration sport, I think they would be a poor choice. But it isn't my debate, I am on neither side of it.

ChuckLefley

Jan 5, 2016
I didn't really care enough to go back and look for the articles, but if you search the google, for benefits of sports drinks, lots come up.

And I would suggest specific to some sports with high, short burst intensity, would be the only ones that would see much benefit from those drinks. Like, any long distance racing, or any duration sport, I think they would be a poor choice. But it isn't my debate, I am on neither side of it.
You should probably read your articles before you post them. You know, to make sure they back up what you are claiming.😂

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
You should probably read your articles before you post them. You know, to make sure they back up what you are claiming.😂
I don't have any claims. This big headline in the article might be enough if you can read the big print, but there are tons that come out this way. Anyways, you want to argue, but like I said, I don't care enough to do that. Do your own research.
Screenshot 2022-11-17 102425.jpg

ChuckLefley

Jan 5, 2016
I don't have any claims. This big headline in the article might be enough if you can read the big print, but there are tons that come out this way. Anyways, you want to argue, but like I said, I don't care enough to do that. Do your own research.View attachment 609029
I’m starting to wonder if you even remember what you claimed, that started this discussion. Is it forgetfulness or just your desire to be able to claim that you are correct? I do find it humorous that you ”don’t care enough” to argue, yet you are doing just that.

I’ll just point out that nowhere in what you posted is the word, “sugar.” That’s what this whole discussion was about. Nice try.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
So you admit that they only have a short term benefit. In other words not good for playing a full game of hockey. I do like how you say, “there are lots of articles” but don’t post one.

The only real use for sugary drinks during a sports competition is if you are bonking and need a quick injection of energy to finish.
Hey Chuck, this was literally the first hit when googling "are sports drinks good for athletes"

It's conclusions:

Water that is calorie-free and accessible without cost to most people is the beverage of choice taken with and between meals. A sports drink may be used by people engaging in exercise of vigorous intensity for more than one hour, especially if sweating heavily. Perhaps of greater importance in athletes of any age, but especially youth, is to encourage a balanced diet, snacks as needed, and adequate water that will best enhance physical and mental performance. Pediatricians should discuss the use of sports drinks with their young patients and parents to ensure that all are aware of the health risks, and if used, are monitored carefully. [3]

As I mentioned I was actually kind of surprised by the sports nutritionist endorsing sports drinks with sugar, but the research does seem to check out in this limited situation (being needing energy during a hockey game). I would absolutely endorse good ole' water in most situations though.

And look - if you think youth athletes should stay away from sports drinks and only ever drink water I understand where you're coming from. But that doesn't mean suggesting sports drinks might be appropriate is crazy.

One factor that no study will go into, but is important as a hockey coach - if you give kids sports drinks like gatorade, in addition to the sugars and electrolytes they also contain food dyes to give them that vibrant colour. And when it comes to kids they will almost invariably spill those sports drinks and stain their hockey jerseys! Yes I speak from experience.

MeHateHe

Dec 24, 2006
The pissing matches you guys (and it's always guys) have on these threads are amusing. So let me add my own splash. Sports nutrition and endurance is a thing I know a little about as a marathoner.

Short hits of sugar are great for lagging energy levels. Runners use gels and gummies during races, because the body can only store so much glycogen (typically enough to work at high intensity for 90 minutes or so). I don't think you're going to cause your kid to develop diabetes by giving him a sugar hit a couple of times a weekend.

But if you have a 9-year-old who is lagging in hockey games relative to his peers, then short hits of sugar are crutches only, and you should be looking for more systemic issues. As others have noted, better global nutrition (low-fat protein and carbs in the days leading up to competition, but light meals only in the hours before competition), and better sleep are way more important factors than one-time sugar infusions.

But the thing I've learned as a distance runner is that the biggest barrier to maximizing endurance is psychological. We believe we're tired a lot sooner than we're actually tired. (It's actually another benefit of a one-time hit of sugar - the placebo effect is a real thing.) So you have to examine the kid's motivation. People who don't understand sports always laugh about the "giving 110%" cliché, but what it actually means is finding a way of extending yourself past your own psychological barriers. Good athletes can do it often; great athletes do it just about all the time.

ChuckLefley

Jan 5, 2016
Hey Chuck, this was literally the first hit when googling "are sports drinks good for athletes"

It's conclusions:

As I mentioned I was actually kind of surprised by the sports nutritionist endorsing sports drinks with sugar, but the research does seem to check out in this limited situation (being needing energy during a hockey game). I would absolutely endorse good ole' water in most situations though.

And look - if you think youth athletes should stay away from sports drinks and only ever drink water I understand where you're coming from. But that doesn't mean suggesting sports drinks might be appropriate is crazy.

One factor that no study will go into, but is important as a hockey coach - if you give kids sports drinks like gatorade, in addition to the sugars and electrolytes they also contain food dyes to give them that vibrant colour. And when it comes to kids they will almost invariably spill those sports drinks and stain their hockey jerseys! Yes I speak from experience.
Wow, you actually responded to me, instead of about me! You’re growing up so fast! You’re as bad as Slats posting screen shots and quotes that don’t address what being discussed…sugar.
Here comes Chuck trying to argue with someone else. :pickle:
That’s your response to me showing you that the articles you’re linking aren’t actually saying anything about sugar and that you keep arguing?!?! LOL

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
Go back and look at the part you posted.
Good grief.

Yes, the part from the Harvard Public Health page I posted was it's conclusion. It does not use the word sugar (although it does compare sports drinks to calorie-free water). The entire page however uses the words "sugar" or "sugary" 15 times.

My own posts have also used the word "sugar".

So why don't you try and engage in my actual comments?

The science seems to show that for athletes who are engaging in sports of vigorous intensity for more than one hour (which sure sounds like hockey to me) a sugary beverage may assist performance. This is almost double true when we're talking about a hockey tournament with multiple games played in a day.

Sugary drinks however should not be a part of a regular diet, as sugary drinks can lead to obesity and related health problems.

ChuckLefley

Jan 5, 2016
Good grief.

Yes, the part from the Harvard Public Health page I posted was it's conclusion. It does not use the word sugar (although it does compare sports drinks to calorie-free water). The entire page however uses the words "sugar" or "sugary" 15 times.

My own posts have also used the word "sugar".

So why don't you try and engage in my actual comments?

The science seems to show that for athletes who are engaging in sports of vigorous intensity for more than one hour (which sure sounds like hockey to me) a sugary beverage may assist performance. This is almost double true when we're talking about a hockey tournament with multiple games played in a day.

Sugary drinks however should not be a part of a regular diet, as sugary drinks can lead to obesity and related health problems.
I’ll tell you what, you go into the article you linked and show me the part where it says what you are claiming, that sugar may assist sports performance.

I’ll wait.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
I’ll tell you what, you go into the article you linked and show me the part where it says what you are claiming, that sugar may assist sports performance.

I’ll wait.
Research has shown benefit of sports drinks in adult athletes (though not conclusive as some studies show no benefit), but research in children is lacking. [2] Children sweat at highly variable rates, so it is more difficult to establish an amount of exercise time that the drinks may be useful. [1]

Note that it is just that research is lacking in kids - not that research shows no benefit.

And quite frankly it matches my own real-world experience. A sugary drink helps give you a short-term boost of energy when tired (though as mentioned, I tend to use fruit juice instead of a sports drink or straight pop).

MeHateHe

Dec 24, 2006
Note that it is just that research is lacking in kids - not that research shows no benefit.

And quite frankly it matches my own real-world experience. A sugary drink helps give you a short-term boost of energy when tired (though as mentioned, I tend to use fruit juice instead of a sports drink or straight pop).
Depending on the fruit juice, there's usually about as much nutritional value in it than in a can of Coke. Okay, that's cynicism, but there is a fallacy that fruit juices are healthy options, when they're usually just loaded with sugars. As well, if the juice is acidic (orange juice is the wooooooorst) it quickly dehydrates you.

Truth is, if you're just looking for a 20-minute sugar hit, it doesn't matter too much. There's no harm in a (small) handful of gummy bears or Skittles.

Addison explains that our bodies absorb simple carbs (found naturally in fruit and dairy products as well as processed foods, such as candy and juice) faster than complex carbs (found in foods such as oatmeal and whole grains). So when we need an instant hit of glycogen before or during a hard workout or race, reaching for gels, energy chews, sports drinks, or even candy such as gummy bears or Skittles works like a charm, she says.
The thing about sugar hits is that if you need it for more than 20 minutes, you have to repeat it or you risk crashing.

ChuckLefley

Jan 5, 2016

Where does it say anything about sugar? Your doing the same thing Slats did, make one claim and then “prove” me wrong by posting things that don’t talk about sugar.

when it comes to your “real world experience” being a beer league player who tries to push his kids too far hardly qualifies you to say whether sugary drinks help athletes.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
Where does it say anything about sugar? Your doing the same thing Slats did, make one claim and then “prove” me wrong by posting things that don’t talk about sugar.

when it comes to your “real world experience” being a beer league player who tries to push his kids too far hardly qualifies you to say whether sugary drinks help athletes.
Yeah, when you're bringing up a beef you had against me from literally years ago I think we're done.

Oak

Apr 22, 2012
MA
Sleep, and hydration. Good meals not bar food. Not much else you can do.

He will gain endurance the longer he plays AAA. It can be a grind.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad