Youth Tournament Tips

May Day 10

Apr 19, 2006
St Catharines, ON
My child is a 2013, going to be a squirt minor, 9u, etc or what have-you.

He essentially has been in an instructional/half-ice program since he was 4. This season I moved him to a team and league that jumps to full-ice because I sensed he had out-grown half-ice and would have been bored (and frankly would have ruined the instructional mite house games there).

He did very well. Was near the top of the league in scoring, was successful in making some elite Spring tournament teams, and also was sought after to play on a AAA team for '22-23 (actually had a choice of a few teams which was nice). It is young/early... but at this point, he is probably around the 15th to 25th best skater in his age group in the area.

However.

So he has had a taste of tournament play this past year. He starts off playing very well in the first day, 2 days of the tournament. By the 4th game-5th game and certainly by the Championship, he bonks out and is visibly running on fumes. He doesn't hustle at all for the puck, very lackluster, one hand on the stick, falls down with a stiff breeze, etc. All the other kids are still flying around like they were in game 1 (most/all of them are seasoned tournament Vets). After a particularly bad game this weekend, he was in tears in the lockerroom because he knew how poorly he played. It cant be enjoyable for him, its frustrating to watch, the coach spoke with him on the bench, and it is a liability for the kids who are competing.

Does anyone else have experience with anything like this? Do I have to feed him orange slices or something? He loves playing, he only wants to play hockey (he plays travel and house baseball but he wants to quit so he can play more hockey but I am going to mandate he participates in something else if not baseball).

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
So certainly sounds like it isn't a motivation issue - he's just exhausted out there. The move to full ice can be hard un a U9 kid - the ice is just so large, and their legs are just so short.

The biggest thing really is to just try and make sure he gets a good night's sleep. It can be tough at a tournament - everyone's in a hotel running around, a break for usual routine. I've certainly seen some kids get VERY little sleep at a tournament, and of course it affects their performance the next day.

Beyond that - give him juice before the game - the sugar will give a short burst of energy but it's healthier than pop.

Finally though - to both you and your kid, don't stress the one-ice result too much. Tournaments will be great memories for your kid, but he won't remember whether they won or lost, but just the camaraderie of hanging out with your team for the weekend.

I also don't know the answer to the spring hockey vs doing something else. I know a lot of experts say the kid should play multiple sports, but 2 of my 3 kids just want to keep playing hockey (3rd doesn't want to play at all). You just do what you think is right for your kid.

Finally though (and you didn't ask) - the idea of there being AAA teams for 2013 kids seems like madness to me. But I guess we do have similar outfits here in Canada too that start that early. But don't try and get worked up comparing your kid to others (the 15-25th best skater bit). Your kid, heck all the kids, are going to develop so much over the next few years. Just focus on him getting better and having fun.

May Day 10

Apr 19, 2006
St Catharines, ON
Thanks. Sleep is certainly an issue on these trips, but I had noticed this same pattern with a few local tournaments this year as well. The juice idea is probably a winner. I am going to try that. I made him eat some fruit before his championship game this weekend and he was a bit better than he was in the semi-finals (where he was completely bonked out).
I am going to encourage him to get more fruits and vegetables in his diet (for reasons greater than hockey too).

As far as AAA for Squirt Minor/9u. I get that it sounds bad. The truth is though, these teams have a lot more resources, better coaching, more ice time, and more overall opportunity for fun. My son is locked onto a team for now who will hopefully be together long-term. Its exactly where he wants to be and its great! I just hope he keeps having fun and riding the wave.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
One other thought...

in particular if they're playing 2 games in one day try to watch what he's doing and make sure he isn't tiring himself out.

My 2010 kid at a tournament this spring ha two games at the same rink, with 3-4 hours inbetween. It was just far enough out of town not not make it worthwhile to go home, so the team went out for lunch. The kids still had like 2 hours to kill after lunch, so they wound up literally just running around the rec centre. You could definitely tell they tired themselves out by the second game.

As for U9 AAA - you look at the options and decide to do what is best for your kid. Again for my 2010 kid I had a long chat with a couple of hockey moms about what to do for next year, with no one coming to any consensus.

BadgerBruce

Aug 8, 2013
A few thoughts …

Question: how big was the spring team roster? In my experience, many teams are formed with intentionally short benches — I’ve seen spring teams running just 6F, 4D and 1G. Parents create these teams with an eye to making sure their kids get TONS of ice time, so they eliminate an entire 5-player unit from the normal rotation.

Tournament hockey in and of itself should not exhaust a youngster. But playing half of every game, especially if the shifts are long and the opponents are strong, is a different story. Shift length management is where I’d start — nobody plays the last 30 seconds of a 2-minute shift with the same jump they had in the first 30 seconds.

Something else you might think about is that your kid could still be finding his way against stronger competition. Remember, the guys on the other teams want to win too, and in my experience kids who move up a level or two need time to adjust to the elevated compete level of their opponents. It’s supposed to be hard, and hard can be exhausting.

May Day 10

Apr 19, 2006
St Catharines, ON
The last part is definitely true! This is a step up from anything he has participated in to-date.
They do carry a full 3 full forward lines, and in my opinion, he doesn't have too much ice time to deal with.

The next (and last) tournament is local. We had him list fruits and vegetables he likes and he is eating more of them (honestly not doing that only for his hockey). Going to make sure he eats 'good' meals around the tournament and also be meticulous about his sleep, horsing around between and around games, etc.

It can be some sort of mental thing too.

Reactions: CutOnDime97

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008
How's his nutrition? Is he eating quality food and enough carbs and all to give him the energy he needs? And drinking enough water?

I know I didn't do any of these as a kid. Was busy slamming down Coca Cola

EDIT: you touched on it as I was typing

Last edited:
Reactions: May Day 10

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
More cardio in the off season. Baseball just doesn't offer that. Not saying it's easy to encourage a kid to do cardio but I think it's essential to stay in shape year round. I ran x country and track at school and played soccer. Did a lot of biking and rollerblading. It all definitely translated to hockey. It might sound crazy but I probably worked harder in the summer and hockey season was kind of my down time.

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
Tournaments have always been about team bonding, its the fun in the pool & running around the hotel that they will remember, not the game itself. Who cares if your kid got tired in the 2nd game, they all are! Except the host city though, thats an unfair advantage! Especially when you factor in the hungover coaches, lol.

Reactions: zeeto

ChuckLefley

Jan 5, 2016
Holy carp, did someone actually post that you should give him fruit juice with sugar to give him an energy burst?!?! That is one of the worst pieces of advice I’ve read on this forum.

if you’re really desperate to get him to perform in later games, the nutrition key is carbs, not sugar.

The reality is that he is 9. Winning is not what it’s about, it’s about fun with teammates and fun playing hockey.

oldunclehue

Jun 16, 2010
Too many questions to give a full on answer, tournament play is a different beast, I'd say rest/sleep and food are likely the only thing I can recommend. Is he going in the pool? Running around with friends inbetween games and after? How is he sleeping? Restless? And are you eating most meals out at restaurants?

I think all kids tend to slow down to a degree by the Sunday, they are kids and playing 5-6 games in 3 days can be tough...especially if its a small roster and the speed is faster.

I'd say focus on good carb based meals for a couple days before the tournament, lots of water.

During the tournament, again healthy carb based meals with a good protein source. Lots of fluids.

Also talk to him, does he feel tired on the last day?

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Does he eat breakfast? Some kids don’t eat much for breakfast, but if he is playing tournaments you really need to think about not only what he puts in his body but when. I know some kids just roll out of bed and go to the rink - that is probably not a good routine to be in.

I have an insanely active and busy kid. He always eats a good breakfast. Even if he is on the ice at 6:30 am he’ll get up early and eat breakfast first. His breakfast has protein and carbs. Maybe two eggs and toast. Or leftover dinner from the night before (like salmon and rice).

Does he hydrate? Some kids carry around a water bottle better never really use it. Check it when you are leaving the rink after a game. My kid is really great about eating well but, a battle I used to have with my kid was around hydration. On more than one occasion I have told him we are not leaving the rink until he finishes the water bottle, and then refills it for the ride home.

You also need to make sure he is eating healthy. I know kids that live on Doritos and Dr Pepper. It might not make a difference at 10, but it does at 16. We have really reinforced getting plenty of protein and good carbs.

Also, some kids will stay up late playing video games or doing other stuff with their friends. Not everyone needs the same amount of sleep. If your kid needs more sleep, make sure he gets it.

If he quits baseball, tennis is a good second sport for hockey players. It requires quick movements. A hockey shot is sort of like a tennis backhand. Lacrosse is another good sport.

May Day 10

Apr 19, 2006
St Catharines, ON
Does he eat breakfast? Some kids don’t eat much for breakfast, but if he is playing tournaments you really need to think about not only what he puts in his body but when. I know some kids just roll out of bed and go to the rink - that is probably not a good routine to be in.

I have an insanely active and busy kid. He always eats a good breakfast. Even if he is on the ice at 6:30 am he’ll get up early and eat breakfast first. His breakfast has protein and carbs. Maybe two eggs and toast. Or leftover dinner from the night before (like salmon and rice).

Does he hydrate? Some kids carry around a water bottle better never really use it. Check it when you are leaving the rink after a game. My kid is really great about eating well but, a battle I used to have with my kid was around hydration. On more than one occasion I have told him we are not leaving the rink until he finishes the water bottle, and then refills it for the ride home.

You also need to make sure he is eating healthy. I know kids that live on Doritos and Dr Pepper. It might not make a difference at 10, but it does at 16. We have really reinforced getting plenty of protein and good carbs.

Also, some kids will stay up late playing video games or doing other stuff with their friends. Not everyone needs the same amount of sleep. If your kid needs more sleep, make sure he gets it.

If he quits baseball, tennis is a good second sport for hockey players. It requires quick movements. A hockey shot is sort of like a tennis backhand. Lacrosse is another good sport.
Thanks. Im analyzing all that. My son has a very limited palate and wont eat eggs for instance. I do make him eat breakfast. He eats a lot of chicken fingers/fries. Pizza. And snacks a lot.
Since this tournament, we have tried to get him to expand his horizons a bit, eat more fruit, eat a bit of pasta. Definitely need to find a protein source that is not Chicken Fingers or hot dogs.
*this isnt a hockey-only thing. A general lifelong healthy living thing too.

We do keep a fairly strict bedtime, although I let him run way past it to have fun in the hotels... Sleep was likely a factor, however, we noticed this with a few home-tournaments and busy hockey weekends as well.

Too many questions to give a full on answer, tournament play is a different beast, I'd say rest/sleep and food are likely the only thing I can recommend. Is he going in the pool? Running around with friends inbetween games and after? How is he sleeping? Restless? And are you eating most meals out at restaurants?

I think all kids tend to slow down to a degree by the Sunday, they are kids and playing 5-6 games in 3 days can be tough...especially if its a small roster and the speed is faster.

I'd say focus on good carb based meals for a couple days before the tournament, lots of water.

During the tournament, again healthy carb based meals with a good protein source. Lots of fluids.

Also talk to him, does he feel tired on the last day?

Lots of running around and playing. I noticed the other kids were as well... some disappeared, perhaps resting. All the other kids seemed to have plenty of energy... but of course they are all long-time veterans of tournament play, while my son is not.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
Thanks. Im analyzing all that. My son has a very limited palate and wont eat eggs for instance. I do make him eat breakfast. He eats a lot of chicken fingers/fries. Pizza. And snacks a lot.
Since this tournament, we have tried to get him to expand his horizons a bit, eat more fruit, eat a bit of pasta. Definitely need to find a protein source that is not Chicken Fingers or hot dogs.
*this isnt a hockey-only thing. A general lifelong healthy living thing too.

We do keep a fairly strict bedtime, although I let him run way past it to have fun in the hotels... Sleep was likely a factor, however, we noticed this with a few home-tournaments and busy hockey weekends as well.

Lots of running around and playing. I noticed the other kids were as well... some disappeared, perhaps resting. All the other kids seemed to have plenty of energy... but of course they are all long-time veterans of tournament play, while my son is not.

When i played hockey as a kid i thought the ultimate recovery drink was skim milk.

Chocolate milk is also good there are a few articles out there touting chocolate milk as a recovery drink. I'm guessing at the age of 9 you wouldn't have to twist his arm to down a glass of chocolate milk after a game.

Is Chocolate Milk Your Best Option After a Workout?

Exactly Why Chocolate Milk Has Been Called "The Best Post-Workout Drink"

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
I kept this thread in mind as I took my 2010 kid to his final out-of-town tournament of the year this past weekend.

First of all tiredness is definitely an issue even for more experienced kids who have been playing for years. The kids played one game Friday, Two games Saturday and two games Sunday. Games were scheduled for 1 hr 45 min, with two 20 minute stop-time periods and one 15 minute run-time period (so long games).

Sleep was... okay. Coach was pretty strict about a 10pm curfew, which helped so I wasn't the bad cop parent while other kids were running around. Still though my kid probably got slightly less sleep than normal while doing a ton of exercise. And still he went for a nap Saturday afternoon (he never naps), and he promptly fell asleep in the car as soon as we left on Sunday.

Food was tough since you're eating out. He's old enough he was ordering by himself and while he didn't make terrible choices I would have liked more greens. I did have fruit and milk in the hotel room. I also gave him a juice before his final game, but since that was 90 minutes before puck drop I have no idea if that did anything for him.

Activity. The team had one team bonding activity on Saturday that while wasn't strenuous, did have them out in the son for an hour. Beyond that I did my best to keep him in more sedate modes. Coach did ban the pool Saturday night.

So I think there's no silver bullet answers here. Try to make sure they get lots of sleep, stay well hydrated, healthy foods, and make sure they don't burn off too much energy off the ice - all while making sure they still have a fun time.

May Day 10

Apr 19, 2006
St Catharines, ON
update:
We had a local tournament about a month ago.

I made sure he conserved his energy a bit that weekend. Also watched what he ate, and made sure he was getting a lot of water.

It seemed to work, as he didn't bonk out. Now, he wasnt a prominent player as this is a Brick-Level team, but it was encouraging. We will see what happens this season on his '22-23 team that he will probably be 1C or 2C and he has a tournament weekend.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
*Bump*

A certain poster was outraged at the idea of giving fruit juice as a way to give a quick sugar rush.

My kids team held a session with a sports nutritionist and it was eye-opening. For young athletes they absolutely need to focus in part on getting calories into their bodies in order to fuel their performance. So yes, lots of carbs, and yes, sugar. The nutritionist endorsed Gatorade over Biosteel precisely because Gatorade contains sugar. Fruit juice was also mentioned.

It's a little counter-intuitive if, like me, you're middle aged and want to make sure you're not taking in too many calories, rather than too few, but it makes sense.

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
*Bump*

A certain poster was outraged at the idea of giving fruit juice as a way to give a quick sugar rush.

My kids team held a session with a sports nutritionist and it was eye-opening. For young athletes they absolutely need to focus in part on getting calories into their bodies in order to fuel their performance. So yes, lots of carbs, and yes, sugar. The nutritionist endorsed Gatorade over Biosteel precisely because Gatorade contains sugar. Fruit juice was also mentioned.

It's a little counter-intuitive if, like me, you're middle aged and want to make sure you're not taking in too many calories, rather than too few, but it makes sense.
It helps to understand what you are eating or drinking. Carbs is sugar. Lactose, fructose, glucose etc... all sugar. Not saying anything is bad, but understanding how the human body metabolizes things is important. It really just highlights the importance of fruit and vegetables and nuts.

ChuckLefley

Jan 5, 2016
*Bump*

“A certain poster”. In other words, “the guy who called me out and hurt my feelings it’s the truth.”

back to the topic, if you have a nutritionist who is endorsong certain sports drinks because they have sugar (regardless of whether it is for kids or adults), run.

Reactions: zeeto

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
“A certain poster”. In other words, “the guy who called me out and hurt my feelings it’s the truth.”

back to the topic, if you have a nutritionist who is endorsong certain sports drinks because they have sugar (regardless of whether it is for kids or adults), run.
There are studies (reputable) that show if playing high intensity sports and burning a lot of sugar and sodium, sports drinks can be useful. I have no skin in this game, but it isn't unrealistic for a nutritionist to read the same articles and come to a similar conclusion.

ChuckLefley

Jan 5, 2016
There are studies (reputable) that show if playing high intensity sports and burning a lot of sugar and sodium, sports drinks can be useful. I have no skin in this game, but it isn't unrealistic for a nutritionist to read the same articles and come to a similar conclusion.

I never said anything about sports drinks not being useful. I was talking about the alleged recommendation of a sports drink with sugar over one without.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
I never said anything about sports drinks not being useful. I was talking about the alleged recommendation of a sports drink with sugar over one without.
Some researchers suggest the ones with sugar are helpful in high activity sports (hockey, football). The simple sugars that break down quickly and get used during these activities can provide benefit. I wouldn't support anyone drinking them outside of the activity.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Some researchers suggest the ones with sugar are helpful in high activity sports (hockey, football). The simple sugars that break down quickly and get used during these activities can provide benefit. I wouldn't support anyone drinking them outside of the activity.
Would have been nice if someone told this when I was in 9th-10th grade and I used to drink 4-5 throughout the day :laugh:

ChuckLefley

Jan 5, 2016
You should post some of those. Make sure they aren’t the ones funded by the companies that make the drinks, like your article that refuted nothing I said, stated.

Yes, the simple sugars break down quickly and end up causing blood sugar to drop rapidly causing a severe loss of energy. Yes, that sugar is going to help for a couple of shifts, but then destroy you for the rest of the game…unless you keep pushing sugar. Of course that leads o diabetes and obesity.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad