Youth hockey thread

pelts35.com

Oct 4, 2004
www.pelts35.com
My son started Mite 6U this year (ADM cross ice). He did a few Learn to Play sessions last season and has really come a long way (albeit slowly). In comparison to the other 28 kids or so in the program, he is probably the least developed. It's bugging me a little, but he is a real small kid (6 years old) and all skin and bones, so maybe he just needs to keep at it until he develops physically some more? He has a real blast doing all the drills and such at practices, and loves the sport. First couple games start this month, so hopefully he doesn't get left in the dust during real competition.

I work with him on inlines at a little outdoor rink by our house. Mainly trying to get him to bend his knees more and not his back. The kid can skate where ever he wants to go, but just doesn't have that posture and smooth stride like most of the other kids. He never quits or gets discouraged though. He's got some heart, that's for sure.

I am coaching a mite team and it's amazing the difference that one month of practice has made. The kids are skating so much better and their puck awareness is significantly better.

The one thing that I find interesting is the difference in development between the older players (8) and younger players (6). The older kids are able to maintain a good hockey/skating position much longer than the younger ones. However, the big difference that I see is when the kids are in goal. My best "technical" goalie is a 6 year old (he's taken private goalie lessons and has been playing goal for about 8 months), but because his motor skills are not as developed as the 7 and 8 year olds he isn't able to make the glove and blocker saves that the older kids can make.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad