Youth hockey thread

redbranch

Sep 24, 2007
bridgewater,nj
we get a lot of grumbling about that. Sometimes, it seems like the hockey organizations don't realize these aren't pro players, they're little kids who have parents with schedules, other children etc. My wife is a very organized person and it drives her up the wall :laugh:

BigDuke6

Jan 19, 2012
Inside
It makes it tough to plan anything. We are actually the lucky ones in our club. There is a club in our league that is about 5 hours away from our home rink. That particular club doesn't have a team in my son's age group, so we won't have to deal with it, but the other age groups are having to potentially make that drive with no notice.

My son's b-day was right when the preseason started, but we couldn't really plan anything because we had no idea when/where/what time the games were going to be.

Oh well, lots to gripe about, but as I said in my original post in this thread - I am really enjoying it, and we have a really good group of parents. My son is really enjoying it as well, his effort is up and down, but he's 10. I didn't do anything like this when I was 10.

redbranch

Sep 24, 2007
bridgewater,nj
I look at one of the other parents, who has two younger kids as well, and both of them are learning to skate, and just think "how the hell is it gonna work when all 3 are in travel hockey?"

theFinn

Mar 9, 2012
I look at one of the other parents, who has two younger kids as well, and both of them are learning to skate, and just think "how the hell is it gonna work when all 3 are in travel hockey?"

One parent takes one kid to a game, the other parent takes another and the 3rd goes with a teammate ;)

My sons are 5 (2nd year Initation) and 9 (1st year Atom) this year. Our season started mid-september with practices and since we had enough kids to make 2 Atom teams this year (we're a small town, only about 65 families involved in the minor hockey association) there were actually evaluations. My older boy did quite well, kept up with the 2nd year Atom kids. The younger boy grew more than an inch in the off-season and the amount of speed he's gained over the summer has been amazing....now if he could just figure out that he can use that speed when he's actually got the puck that'd be great.

I love watching minor hockey games, they're so excited. Tiering games for our leauge start in the next week or 2 then it gets real busy :)

IHaveNoCreativity

May 5, 2012
Somewhere in Quebec.
I coach 2 peewee teams in Quebec.. Well I assist..

I might resign from one, I have very little input and my role is about to be reduced even further...

I'm going for the highest Atom level next year...

Next year I'm going for my own team.

Last edited:

bigrb9

Jan 8, 2011
My son is just starting out, playing for the Jersey Penguins ADM team out of the rock...

redbranch

Sep 24, 2007
bridgewater,nj
we had a mini tournament this weekend. 5 20 min games. My son played goalie for all of them. one of the nice things about the little guys, is that they can try everything, and nobody sane cares how they do, just that they have fun doing it

happyhab*

cool thread. I started the one about my 10 year old making the jump from AA to AAA, minor hockey has its ups and downs, but it's so much fun watching your kid

redbranch

Sep 24, 2007
bridgewater,nj
it really is. There's just something really great about watching the kids learn and have fun. My favorite is always the look on my son's face when he pulls something off in a game for the first time. He's as surprised as anybody :)

Bruwinz37

Feb 27, 2002
Is anyone here coach/involved with Atom AAA hockey in Ontario? Looking for a scouting report on some teams for a tourney we are coming up for.

happyhab*

I dont coach but may be able to help what teams are you looking at

IHaveNoCreativity

May 5, 2012
Somewhere in Quebec.
Is anyone here coach/involved with Atom AAA hockey in Ontario? Looking for a scouting report on some teams for a tourney we are coming up for.
Honestly ?

It's Atom develop your kids properly and you'll do fine... Your 2nd years should be peewee AAA or top AA caliber by then end of the year... And your first years should be in a position to dominate next year..

Pump the kids up, let them play the game and you'll do fine.

Nbr-17

Aug 15, 2006
Stouffville, ON

OMFG are you serious :shakehead
These are 9 year olds, they need to work on their skating and skills and learn the game.
That's what you should focus on regardless of who you are playing against.
Parents and coaches who want to win at all cost is what is wrong in minor hockey.
Relax it's just a game ;)

Last edited:

Bruwinz37

Feb 27, 2002
OMFG are you serious :shakehead
These are 9 year olds, they need to work on their skating and skills and learn the game.
That's what you should focus on regardless of who you are playing against.
Parents and coaches who want to win at all cost is what is wrong in minor hockey.
Relax it's just a game ;)

Actually no, I wasnt looking for a true "scouting report" to game plan a win with. I didnt think anyone could be that stupid...maybe next time I will use emoticons.

I was just wondering what type of programs we will be facing and how good the teams are relative to other AAA programs.

For the record we always emphasize skill development and never sacrifice anything for winning....no shortening the bench, no PP's, no PK's, etc.

By all means though, continue on your "save the kids" rant.....and for the record it is ok to teach kids *how* to win and *how* to lose as good sports. If done right, they benefit from it. Have fun handing out trophies.

deadphish23

Feb 8, 2012
My son started Mite 6U this year (ADM cross ice). He did a few Learn to Play sessions last season and has really come a long way (albeit slowly). In comparison to the other 28 kids or so in the program, he is probably the least developed. It's bugging me a little, but he is a real small kid (6 years old) and all skin and bones, so maybe he just needs to keep at it until he develops physically some more? He has a real blast doing all the drills and such at practices, and loves the sport. First couple games start this month, so hopefully he doesn't get left in the dust during real competition.

I work with him on inlines at a little outdoor rink by our house. Mainly trying to get him to bend his knees more and not his back. The kid can skate where ever he wants to go, but just doesn't have that posture and smooth stride like most of the other kids. He never quits or gets discouraged though. He's got some heart, that's for sure.

redbranch

Sep 24, 2007
bridgewater,nj
they all develop at different rates. Just don't turn it into a chore for him, keep it fun and he'll get there. what I did with the flaws in my son's skating was I created little mini games or competitions around doing them right.

BigDuke6

Jan 19, 2012
Inside
My son started Mite 6U this year (ADM cross ice). He did a few Learn to Play sessions last season and has really come a long way (albeit slowly). In comparison to the other 28 kids or so in the program, he is probably the least developed. It's bugging me a little, but he is a real small kid (6 years old) and all skin and bones, so maybe he just needs to keep at it until he develops physically some more? He has a real blast doing all the drills and such at practices, and loves the sport. First couple games start this month, so hopefully he doesn't get left in the dust during real competition.

I work with him on inlines at a little outdoor rink by our house. Mainly trying to get him to bend his knees more and not his back. The kid can skate where ever he wants to go, but just doesn't have that posture and smooth stride like most of the other kids. He never quits or gets discouraged though. He's got some heart, that's for sure.

It is easy to get frustrated with them. Many parents and coaches take it way too seriously at the younger ages (from what I've seen so far). The bottom line for me, and my son, is that he loves playing hockey and he's having fun.

Bruwinz37

Feb 27, 2002

Enjoy these times....smile at him whenever he leaves the ice. I look back at my son's Mite C/cross ice years and wish I could have them back. Great, great times where your boy is just learning what to do out there. Always keep in mind it is a hard game, a fast game and the more you keep it fun, the more they want to come back. That is the accomplishment.

deadphish23

Feb 8, 2012
I have a player on my team who is similar to your son... He's stance is really wide because he's tiny, it comes with age.

Thanks for this. It's been improving lately. I have told him that when he bends his knees it is like getting a super-power for skating. He likes this concept and it seems to be catching on. The most often feedback I hear from coaches is, "He's improving every time out there." They seem happy, so I'll just enjoy the ride.

Oh and he had his first inter-squad game last weekend. He was out-skated by most of the other kids, but I think it opened his eyes to where he needs to improve. He got himself in front of the net for a couple rebound whacks and came very close to scoring, if not for some incredible saves by the goalie.

We've got a jamboree this weekend and he's very excited for that. He gets to play 4 games in 4 hours. Should be fun!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad