Youth hockey schedule concern.

lorwood

Nov 3, 2008
So I have a question. Especially for hockey parents. My 4 year old grandson fell in love with hockey at 3. My house became a rink,my poor baseboards, and it is the only sport he will watch on TV. Took him to an Islanders game thinking that we would get through a period but he was glued to the game for all three. His parents took him skating,which he loved, this lead to group lessons,also loved and now private lessons with a great tots coach. He also just started his first "league" which is for 4,5 and 6 year olds. This league consists of Saturday morning games and Tuesday afternoon clinic. So his schedule looks like this.
Saturday game 1 hour
Sunday private lesson 30 min. Followed by free skating until he tells us he is done
Tuesday 30 min team clinic
Wed private lesson same drill as Sunday.

He loves all of this never complains and, trying to be unbiased is progressing at lightning speed. Skates forwards like the wind can skate backwards,crossovers both ways, backwards crossovers.

I am concerned however that this current schedule is too much. My daughter looks to me for guidance as I grew up playing but I don't know where or if we should cut back. The way I see it the private lessons are the most valuable as its all about skating at this point however as an only child being on a team serves as a place to play and interact with kids his age.

So any advise?

Tacks92

Jun 16, 2014
Is this just for the winter, or all year round? If it's seasonal, I think it's fine. I think USA Hockey actually recommends a 1 to 3 or 4 game to practice ratio, which it sounds like he's getting. Just be flexible if he starts to tired or board, and pull back then.

I would also argue that while awesome, private lessons aren't "better" than regular practices, just different --- they're better at teaching certain things, worse at others. The great thing about group practices is you start to learn things like body positioning, contact, how to work with teammates --- and how to have fun. We also do drills in team practices at this age that are designed to get kids to get creative and keep their heads up, which are more difficult to do in a one one one private session. I'm not down on private lessons, but just pointing out some of the things group practices do well.

MeltingPlastic

Jul 1, 2010
Outside Philly
Let him dictate how much icetime he wants. Listen to him if he says he's tired or doesn't want to go. My nephew is 7 and has been skating since 4 and never tires of it. He's on the ice at least 4-5 times a week now between 2 games a weekend, practice and private lessons. He knows he's free to do other things as well but then private lessons etc stop and he's not okay with that.

The scheduling becomes an issue when the kid doesn't want to be there and parents pull the "i paid for this you're going". That's when he will regress and really begin to hate it and it becomes an issue.

I wouldn't push for any more ice time right now but what he has is okay. If you start to notice he's getting tired/moody/etc think about cutting back but if he's still a chipper and energy packed kid, let him be.

lorwood

Nov 3, 2008
Is this just for the winter, or all year round? If it's seasonal, I think it's fine. I think USA Hockey actually recommends a 1 to 3 or 4 game to practice ratio, which it sounds like he's getting. Just be flexible if he starts to tired or board, and pull back then.

I would also argue that while awesome, private lessons aren't "better" than regular practices, just different --- they're better at teaching certain things, worse at others. The great thing about group practices is you start to learn things like body positioning, contact, how to work with teammates --- and how to have fun. We also do drills in team practices at this age that are designed to get kids to get creative and keep their heads up, which are more difficult to do in a one one one private session. I'm not down on private lessons, but just pointing out some of the things group practices do well.

Thanks for the response. I should have been clear. His private lessons are skating only.

This is his first year (Started skating last February) and I agree about it not being year round. My daughter says he like to play baseball in the yard so we are thinking in the spring we can find something along those lines and cut it back to just one private skating lesson a week and whatever public skating he wants to do until next fall. Thanks again.

lorwood

Nov 3, 2008
Let him dictate how much icetime he wants. Listen to him if he says he's tired or doesn't want to go. My nephew is 7 and has been skating since 4 and never tires of it. He's on the ice at least 4-5 times a week now between 2 games a weekend, practice and private lessons. He knows he's free to do other things as well but then private lessons etc stop and he's not okay with that.

The scheduling becomes an issue when the kid doesn't want to be there and parents pull the "i paid for this you're going". That's when he will regress and really begin to hate it and it becomes an issue.

I wouldn't push for any more ice time right now but what he has is okay. If you start to notice he's getting tired/moody/etc think about cutting back but if he's still a chipper and energy packed kid, let him be.

Thanks for the help. As of right now it seems he will never get tired of it. He usually skates at least 30 min before or after his private skating lessons and once he says he is done we take his gear off without any push. (He skates so hard for that hour that times when I skate with him I am beat! :laugh:) As I replied to another poster the plan right now is to cut back in the spring and see if he has interest in other sports with one skating a lesson a week and whatever public skating time he wants. Thanks again.

PK16

Jul 28, 2013
I think you are doing fine. As indicated, the USA Hockey ADM recommends 3:1 practice:game ratios which you are abiding by. I would definitely have him play other sports out of season as this limits burn out while having the child play other sports that can help develop critical motor control, hand/eye coordination, etc...

As written by others, you should let your child dictate the amount of time that they are participating. This is perhaps the most important thing.

Tacks92

Jun 16, 2014
Thanks for the response. I should have been clear. His private lessons are skating only.

This is his first year (Started skating last February) and I agree about it not being year round. My daughter says he like to play baseball in the yard so we are thinking in the spring we can find something along those lines and cut it back to just one private skating lesson a week and whatever public skating he wants to do until next fall. Thanks again.

Yeah, that makes sense. They say playing other sports for young hockey players is better than playing hockey all year round.

http://www.usahockey.com/news_artic...ple-sports-can-help-your-child-become-a-bette

leftwinger37

Jun 7, 2011
"Great Lakes State"
Just be flexible if he starts to tired or board, and pull back then.

I think this is the best advice. This is a crucial time in his development and if he is willing, it's good for him be on the ice as much as possible and soak up everything that he can. On the flip side, you don't want to burn him out. It doesn't sound like that's an issue right now, so until he starts expressing that he'd rather do other things, keep doing what you're doing.

lorwood

Nov 3, 2008
I think this is the best advice. This is a crucial time in his development and if he is willing, it's good for him be on the ice as much as possible and soak up everything that he can. On the flip side, you don't want to burn him out. It doesn't sound like that's an issue right now, so until he starts expressing that he'd rather do other things, keep doing what you're doing.

Thanks! You hit the nail on the head with my concern regarding burn out. I think around the holidays I will suggest a couple of weeks vacation from hockey to his parents. There is a break between the fall and winter leagues so this may be a good rest and then finish up in the spring and go really light until the fall.

Goonzilla

Welcome to my house!
Feb 18, 2014
The rink ..too often
Man..if they are enjoying it and wanna do it then there's not a thing wrong. As long as they keep wanting it and the family are in a position to support it then you can't be overdoing it.

Would only be a concern if it was parental driven.

Gotta hope they're learning at school too though. Doesn't seem too heavy a schedule.

Does remind me of that t-shirt; 'School is important, but hockey is importanter'

Goonzilla

Welcome to my house!
Feb 18, 2014
The rink ..too often
To a point or age though. I know of a kid who's high school age, 16 I think, obsessive about their sport and wants to play college sport.

Family are shipping him off to attend some academy type school at huge expense and I suspect sacrifice.

The ambition is admirable, but the trouble is the kid just isn't there, physically or athletically, skills wise or smarts wise. Nice kid, but seriously overinflated sense of ability ..and not sure who's driven or fueled it.

lorwood

Nov 3, 2008
To a point or age though. I know of a kid who's high school age, 16 I think, obsessive about their sport and wants to play college sport.

Family are shipping him off to attend some academy type school at huge expense and I suspect sacrifice.

The ambition is admirable, but the trouble is the kid just isn't there, physically or athletically, skills wise or smarts wise. Nice kid, but seriously overinflated sense of ability ..and not sure who's driven or fueled it.

Know the type. The one thing I have been very clear to my daughter about is that there is no future NHL career or collegiate scholarship at the end of this path there is however the lessons of teamwork, accomplishment through hard work, respect for something bigger than ones self and a lifetime of friendships. All of which, IMHO make it a worthwhile endeavor.

Goonzilla

Welcome to my house!
Feb 18, 2014
The rink ..too often
The right physical attributes and talent combined with hard work can get you there, but if you're a Rudy you just ain't going pro no matter how much heart you have or how hard you work.

I guess Rudy did make it to college though, but it wasn't his athletic prowess that got him there.

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
It actually sounds like he's in a great situation and skating like he can at age 4 is pretty impressive and puts him ahead of most of his peers. If he enjoys it and the family doesn't have an issue with accommodating his schedule, then sounds like it should pay off (figuratively, not necessarily literally) in the long term. If it were my child, I'd just make it clear that it all depends on him making just as much of an effort at school (if he's 4 and in kindergarten or some sort of preschool).

lorwood

Nov 3, 2008
It actually sounds like he's in a great situation and skating like he can at age 4 is pretty impressive and puts him ahead of most of his peers. If he enjoys it and the family doesn't have an issue with accommodating his schedule, then sounds like it should pay off (figuratively, not necessarily literally) in the long term. If it were my child, I'd just make it clear that it all depends on him making just as much of an effort at school (if he's 4 and in kindergarten or some sort of preschool).

Yep school first always. The one thing I can say, it has become one of my greatest joys watching him come off the ice with an ear to ear smile, taking off his helmet at which time he looks at me and joyfully says;

"Look at me grandpa my cheeks are all red and I am sweaty"

Life is good!

sanityplease

Jun 21, 2011
Great info in this thread.

I work with that age group of players. It's tricky & depends on the child. Some kids really do love being on the ice as much as possible. Some start off like that & then 'burn-out' either losing interest, or tiring physically. Some don't have interest initially, but gain it years later (I feel bad for those kids, their parents are typically non-athletic themselves & somewhat naturally biased against the child being in sport. Then when the child develops their own interest, they start hockey late with delayed development & struggle). Some are forced to go as much as possible by parents/guardians. The worst issues in minor league sports are influences from adults (parents/guardians/bad coaches). When kids are in a group of their peers & outside influences are removed they typically act very similar. The first requirement (other than police check) for participating with youth hockey in Canada is a 'speak out' course, which instructs on how to deal with things like bullying, harassment, neglect etc. issues other than pure hockey.

Sounds like you have the child's best interests in mind, there really are kids who love being on the ice as much as possible. I'd monitor them, & communicate with your daughter. If your grandson seems to be getting 'cranky' more often in the evenings, or having a hard time getting up in the mornings, reduce or skip an ice time. I'd prioritize the league/team play/practices. Voluntary participation with the team aspect of the game is critical. Encouragement is sometimes needed, it should be positive, not negative.

Have to be a bit careful with letting a child (especially a young one), have full control over honoring their commitments. Imagine what would happen to education if kids didn't have to go when they didn't feel like it...

It's also entirely possible that a lot of his interest in the sport is related to spending time with you, which is great btw.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
One thing I would add (not sure if already mentioned) is that athletic development models really promote multi-sports at this age, especially for "late development" sports like hockey. I believe the ADM for Hockey Canada recommends 2 other sports at the young ages (link above is to USA Hockey ADM).

Probably best to be done in the off-season.

Lacrosse, baseball, soccer are common and complementary to hockey. Figure skating is another good one but requires greater commitment. Football, gymnastics, martial arts are great. Skiing and swimming could be in the mix.

IIRC, it is also something that is considered at the elite levels. I have seen former pros write about how scouts would consider whether prospects excel in other sports.

Finally, be careful of too much "success" at a young age. I've seen a lot of 4-7 year olds dominate not because of natural ability, but simply because of more mileage. But that mileage wears off as they get to be 9+ years old and other kids catch them and surpass them. It can be frustrating for the kid if not handled properly. Doing the multi-sport thing can really help with this.

lorwood

Nov 3, 2008
One thing I would add (not sure if already mentioned) is that athletic development models really promote multi-sports at this age, especially for "late development" sports like hockey. I believe the ADM for Hockey Canada recommends 2 other sports at the young ages (link above is to USA Hockey ADM).

Probably best to be done in the off-season.

Lacrosse, baseball, soccer are common and complementary to hockey. Figure skating is another good one but requires greater commitment. Football, gymnastics, martial arts are great. Skiing and swimming could be in the mix.

IIRC, it is also something that is considered at the elite levels. I have seen former pros write about how scouts would consider whether prospects excel in other sports.

Finally, be careful of too much "success" at a young age. I've seen a lot of 4-7 year olds dominate not because of natural ability, but simply because of more mileage. But that mileage wears off as they get to be 9+ years old and other kids catch them and surpass them. It can be frustrating for the kid if not handled properly. Doing the multi-sport thing can really help with this.

I totally agree. We have already heard good natured comments from others about how good he will become because of his early start. I smile and say thank you but have been frank with his parents about this. There are valuable lessons to be learned in team sports and hockey, IMO does a very good job at teaching those lessons and that is our goal for him. I have emphasize three things to his parents. Fun, learning the lessons of team work,improvement through hard work, being part of something larger than ones self and that the only sure path to success is education. If he achieves these goals then I will consider his hockey carrer successful no mater how long it lasts.

As a side note we also have had discussions about concussions and how many is too many. While nothing is set in stone and medical advice would be heavily weighed the current plan is if one were to occur we would pull the plug.

pz29

Jun 18, 2015
The private lessons are skating only. No stick or puck. As such I have to disagree as the progress is obvious

I have to agree with the idea that private lessons are absolutely worth it. My kid took them once a week at 4-6 years of age from a family friend who also happens to be a skating/hockey coach. $20 per week did not break our bank, he had a lot of fun, and learned a lot of things right.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
I have to agree with the idea that private lessons are absolutely worth it. My kid took them once a week at 4-6 years of age from a family friend who also happens to be a skating/hockey coach. $20 per week did not break our bank, he had a lot of fun, and learned a lot of things right.

Agreed.

While hockey is a late development sport, skating is an early development sport.

If investing in private skating lessons, one will get a greater return by doing them at a younger age.

To give a concrete example, one of our association's kids did not start hockey until "Hockey 3" (Novice minor or 7 yo - most of our kids start as 5 yo's). But he had done figure skating since 5 years old. As a 9 yo, he made our Atom A3 team as a first year Atom (Squirt). Now as an 11 yo, he is one of only 2 first year PeeWee's to make our Peewee A1 team. Whereas another kid from the same year (who started hockey younger) made our Atom A1 team as a 9 yo, but this year as an 11 yo could only make the PeeWee A2 team.

Regarding concussions, there are extensive "return to play" and "return to school" protocols. I would recommend to anyone with a kid in hockey to do some research on them. I believe you can to CATT online (for free?)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad