Youth hockey schedule concern.

Goonzilla

Welcome to my house!
Feb 18, 2014
The rink ..too often
'You can't fight in here gentlemen..this is the war room'.

It might be that it's not necessary or essential, but it can't do much harm. Forget hockey for a moment, but anything with a high level of technical proficiency required (like skating), golf, tennis or whatever can be easier to master or get right at a younger age.

Just look how much harder it is for adults to pick it up properly in their 30's or 40's.

There might be some debate around the right age, but you can't fault learning or being taught anything the right way first time.

PK16

Jul 28, 2013
My kid is 8 years old and he has been skating since he was 3. He is on the ice 5-6 days out of the week depending on travel games. He plays with kids his own age and practices with kids at older ages due to his ability. I have never sensed an issue with the amount of time he is on the ice. I let him dictate what he wants to do and I never push him one way or another.

The key that I have found is if the child is enjoying it and dictating within reason, the schedule, then there should be no problem. As others have indicated, it is important for your grandchild to have additional activities, sport or otherwise.

In terms of having a skating coach at 4, I do not think there is a right or wrong answer other than to say if he is enjoying it, and it is not too much of a drain on you, why not have him do it. It certainly can't hurt and it may likely help. But either way, if he is having fun, that is the ultimate goal.

lorwood

Nov 3, 2008
My kid is 8 years old and he has been skating since he was 3. He is on the ice 5-6 days out of the week depending on travel games. He plays with kids his own age and practices with kids at older ages due to his ability. I have never sensed an issue with the amount of time he is on the ice. I let him dictate what he wants to do and I never push him one way or another.

The key that I have found is if the child is enjoying it and dictating within reason, the schedule, then there should be no problem. As others have indicated, it is important for your grandchild to have additional activities, sport or otherwise.

In terms of having a skating coach at 4, I do not think there is a right or wrong answer other than to say if he is enjoying it, and it is not too much of a drain on you, why not have him do it. It certainly can't hurt and it may likely help. But either way, if he is having fun, that is the ultimate goal.
Well put. He is having fun, loves his coach (she is great with him) and going by my observations and experience would not be progressing as much without her.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->